GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used 2008 Goldwing (ABS model). This is my first Goldwing and really enjoy it!

The only issue so far is that I hear a slight engine knock when I start the engine. I can't hear the sound after I ride the bike or the eninge warms up.

Is this normal? Any thoughts?

Note: the oil has been recently change and at the correct level.

Thanks Kris

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
KB,

You're probably gonna have to describe this "knock" sound a bit better for anyone do diagnose this properly.

To most gear-heads, the word "knock" used to describe an engine noise is pretty serious. Are you sure this sound isn't more like a rattle or clatter, which is more typically associated with valve noise or even timing chain noise?

What's the frequency of this noise? When I think "knock", I think kind of a slow "clunk - clunk - clunk" kind of thing at crankshaft speed. Press your hand against the valve covers on both sides when you start the bike up cold and see if you actually feel any rythmical clunk there on either side.

Valve clatter, on the other hand, is more continual and a much lighter metallic clattering sound. Fuel injectors can also go bad, but they make more of a clicking or ticking sound. Neither of these would at all be easy to feel with your hands.

You can use a "sounding rod" to listen more closely to the noise. A sounding rod is simply a 2 or 3 foot long section of wooden dowel or broom handle. You press the cut off end against the component on the engine you think the noise is coming from, and then press the round end into your ear. This works really well and magnifies the sound several times.

It will really help if you can provide a better description of this sound. Also, how many miles on the bike?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine noise

Thanks - the sound is very light and more like a rattle noise. It goes away after the engine warms up.

I will check to see if I can isolate the noise - based on your suggestion.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Could be the alternator drive..... a very common noise on Goldwings

John

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Thanks - the sound is very light and more like a rattle noise. It goes away after the engine warms up.

I will check to see if I can isolate the noise - based on your suggestion.

Thanks
That sounds like the fuel injectors.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I would describe the injector noise as more of a ticking sound(at least that's what mine sound like). Mine doesn't disappear when the bike warms up.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
The bike is so
dern quiet that you hear almost all the "workings" that you typically can not hear on a cycle. Injector "tick" occurs about once every 4 revolutions per cylinder. You can get brief rattle as oil pressure comes up and boosts the clutch assist, probably the basket vibrating a little (seems worse if your habbit is to use side stand). There can be an occasional hollow clunk at low RPMs that may be alternator drive or ???
prs

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
That sounds like the fuel injectors.
I would agree even though fuel injectors are more of a ticking sound like a valve that needs adjusting.

Fuel Injector "Ticking" is completely normal...

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I purchased a used 2008 Goldwing (ABS model). This is my first Goldwing and really enjoy it!

The only issue so far is that I hear a slight engine knock when I start the engine. I can't hear the sound after I ride the bike or the eninge warms up.

Is this normal? Any thoughts?

Note: the oil has been recently change and at the correct level.

Thanks Kris
Kris.The next time you start the bike.(I'll assume you start it in neutral?).Pull the clutch lever in to see if the noise changes or goes away?.
The GL1800 clutch is a dual system.It runs on a pressure plate and oil pressure to assist the pressure plate.
It can and does rattle a tiny bit at start up.but goes away for the most part when the bike has been warmed up.

It's the nature of the beast,and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

I do keep the bike on the side stand. I will be taking the bike in for the 12,000 mile service and will have them check it out. By the way, the bike is still under warranty. Thanks to all.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I do keep the bike on the side stand. I will be taking the bike in for the 12,000 mile service and will have them check it out. By the way, the bike is still under warranty. Thanks to all.

The parking on the side stand has nothing to do with your complaint.In fact 85% or more of these guys can't get it up on the center stand if a teenage offered free sex if they could.:eek:4: lol

The only wing that ever had an issue (oil related) on the side stand was the 1200's.
Oil would slip past the left side rings when on the side stand and puff a little smoke for a few seconds after start up.Nothing like that on the 1500 nor 1800's.

I bet the wrench says."I can't hear anything"

Try pulling in the lever and tell me if it changes sound?.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Slight Knock

I bought a new 2009,and I had the slight knock until it warmed up a little, Honda pulled the engine,and found that the altinator Fly Wheel was running out of Round,and hitting the casing until the casing warmed up enough to expand away from the Fly wheel,It seams that the fly wheel is welded on a shaft and the heat from welding whopped the shaft. They put a new fly wheel in, and problem solved.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I bought a new 2009,and I had the slight knock until it warmed up a little, Honda pulled the engine,and found that the altinator Fly Wheel was running out of Round,and hitting the casing until the casing warmed up enough to expand away from the Fly wheel,It seams that the fly wheel is welded on a shaft and the heat from welding whopped the shaft. They put a new fly wheel in, and problem solved.
Someone was pulling you leg.The GL1800 des not have a Flywheel in it!

If it was Alternator related then it's the Alternator or the ACG that drives the Alternator that goes out and makes noise as it separates due to a clip failure.

Check the paperwork that you got when you picked the bike up after the repair.

You should see a part number like this on the repair order.
GEAR ASSY. (27T)
13430-MCA-A61 (replaces 13430-MCA-A60) List $518.15 Cost $370.47

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
My Goldwing makes all manner of noises, clunks and whirrs...I figure that is normal as I am sitting atop a six cylinder 1800 cc motor and a 5 speed transmission

I wonder how many noises one would here if one sat atop their automobile engines?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
My Goldwing makes all manner of noises, clunks and whirrs...I figure that is normal as I am sitting atop a six cylinder 1800 cc motor and a 5 speed transmission

I wonder how many noises one would here if one sat atop their automobile engines?
Come on now-You should know better than to start these guys down that road.:eek:4:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
They all do that. :joke:

Really though, mine does it on occasion and usually after sitting for two weeks while I'm at work. Start it, put on jacket, helmet, gloves, glasses, mount wife (On the pillion, get your mind out of the gutter), climb on and it has stopped. I'll have to try the clutch. I have also head several others doing the same thing.

Best Wishes

·
Registered
1 Posts
Engine knocking

Hi , good day, i was wondering if you could help me out with my goldwing 2008. 5 days ago , i was about to ride on my bike, when i pushed the start button, it made a horrible noise, like a bad explosion or detonation, from the left side of the engine, it had never done that to me before, then the engine sound like it did not have oil at all, a metal sound , then the engine ran , but with a knocking sound on the left side of the engine, is motor ruined ? The knocking or ticking sound won¨t go away ¡ di i it brake something inside , like a valve ? I will apriciate anybodys help ¡

1 - 17 of 17 Posts