GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2012 for 3 weeks now.

Took my 13 year old for a ride today. Stopped the bike, put down the kickstand and got off. Grabbed his helmet for him and told him to hop off. He started to get off kickstand side then jumped the other way :?

Down goes the bike. He wasn't hurt and I thought the bike wasn't. But I have installed Kuryakyn highway pegs. So the peg got pushed over and dented the cylinder head cover. :frown:

Like a typical man I took the cover off and tried to fix the dent (It's what I do for a living so I thought I could do it). Well turns out the metal is cheap crap and thick as heck. So no fixing it.

So no big deal I just ordered a new cover , only $160 for it and te Honda emblem that may or may not survive the process of removing it from the old cover.

Now that you have the story here is my problem. I didn't know the bottom half of the cover came off without removing the top half. Seems the top half is the actual cover with the seal to keep in the oil. Now when I pulled it off looks like some of the gasket stayed stuck to the metal. No rips/tears just a bit of black stuff is stuck on the cylinder side.

Now it seems that I have a tiny bit of oil leaking. I ordered a new gasket.

Is there anything special I should know/do ? Just clean off the old gasket area , lube up the new gasket a bit and install it ?

Thanks for the help guys :)

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
You could have bought the Kury chrome valve covers for around $100 and covered up the dent

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could have bought the Kury chrome valve covers for around $100 and covered up the dent
Yea but I don't really want to chrome out this bike. It's the Pearl White and I like the white/silver/black look.

I have a chromed out Vulcan 900 if I want to ride a blinged out bike :)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
IIRC, there is a little area on the front of the cover that you may have to put a little black silicon sealant on. The cover may leak there, although I didn't do that on my last valve clearance inspection and it doesn't leak.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IIRC, there is a little area on the front of the cover that you may have to put a little black silicon sealant on. The cover may leak there, although I didn't do that on my last valve clearance inspection and it doesn't leak.
Thats where the black stuff is that stuck when I pulled it off. There is a larger rubber piece on the gasket there that is like a semicircle sticking out.

What kind of sealant ?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Thats where the black stuff is that stuck when I pulled it off. There is a larger rubber piece on the gasket there that is like a semicircle sticking out.

What kind of sealant ?
The blue ATV sealant works fine. After the install there will always be a little oil drip. No matter how clean I think I have that area some oil still seeps through. It always stops after I wipe the bottom of the cover after 1 or 2 rides.

·
Registered
686 Posts
A related question -- what adhesives will secure the trim strip when he reattaches it?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
2012 Problem

No suggestions for fixing the bike but how is your son? I am sure he feels absolutely terrible. I am sure you told him no problem but I guess I did enough stuff like that growing up, I am sympathetic.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Is there anything special I should know/do ? Just clean off the old gasket area , lube up the new gasket a bit and install it ?

Thanks for the help guys :)
Only use this.

Apply a thin film on the half moon rubber pieces and into each corner of the half moon rubber piece.This will fill the voids in these corners and not leak anymore.As you see HONDA does the same thing.
Then apply the top cover first.

You can gently pry off the HONDA emblem with a long thin screwdriver (held on with two sided tape)
You'll want to find 3M door trim adhesive (comes in a roll) to reattach it to the new cover after you clean all the old residue off with goof off/goo gone/brake/clean/WD-40 etc.

DO NOT use the blue silicone as it's not oil compatible!! (and looks like hell too:eek:4:)

As a reminder always shut the bike down in 1st gear and let it roll forward,then deploy the side stand.this will prevent it from folding backwards.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
The sealant I use is Permatex also and looks a lot like the package Rocky shows, but it says "SENSOR SAFE" on it. We do have sensors.

prs

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
DO NOT use the blue silicone as it's not oil compatible!! (and looks like hell too:eek:4:)

Not to start an arguement but why am I wrong?

Permatex® Ultra Blue® Multipurpose RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
OEM specified. Permatex® Ultra silicones were developed to meet today’s technology changes. Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Outstanding oil resistance and joint movement values. Eight times more flexible than cork/composite gaskets; three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones. Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications:Valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, transmission pans, differential covers

Permatex® Ultra Black® Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
OEM specified. For dealership warranty requirements, ensures extended drivetrain warranty compliance. Fast-curing formula. Sensor safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Meets performance specs of OE silicone gaskets. Retains high flexibility, oil resistance properties through use of a patented adhesion system. Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications:Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, transmission pans

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help guys. :yes1:

@ MD11Pilot

Yea my son is fine. The bike fell so slowly he just hopped off and landed softly on the pavement. He immediately started crying because he thought he ruined the bike.

Typical dad that I am, I asked if he was alright and then lectured him on the importance of dismounting properly and being careful with others family members expensive toys :)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I think it works better for the passenger to mount second and dismount first, so the rider can stabilize the bike upright. Works for us.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think it works better for the passenger to mount second and dismount first, so the rider can stabilize the bike upright. Works for us.

:agree: I'm sorry to hear of your dent in a new bike but like Justin said passenger mount second and then dismount first for the stated reasons.

My own added excuse is that I'm too short and not flexable enough to mount/dismount with someone on the back of the bike! :eek:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea guys got it, I'm not a new rider and don't need a lecture on mounting and dismounting from a bike. Not the reason I started this thread. :)

Actually on all my other bikes this would never have been a problem. As noted by a lot of people, the Goldwings sit way to upright with stock kickstand. A 110 pound kid should never be able to dump a bike just getting off on the right side.

I will be installing a new kickstand or modifying the existing one.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I think they sit a bit high also. Some have had them blow over. The part I am really let down about in all this is that Honda's actually DO leak oil......

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
The sealant I use is Permatex also and looks a lot like the package Rocky shows, but it says "SENSOR SAFE" on it. We do have sensors.

prs
prs,I just picked that pic off the net.I just added the correct RTV sealant to my post.

Not to start an arguement but why am I wrong?

Ed.No offense intended.It's not that you were wrong in any way.

The blue silicone is old techknowledgy in the sealant market.
The blue silicone would still leak when it was used years ago on valve covers.

The Black and or Grey RTV sealant is made to resist oil in a wider varitey of oil related products in todays world.It bonds so much better to clean meatal that the silicone of yesteryear.
In fact most auto manufactures don't use anything but for v-covers/oil pans.The days of cork gaskets are long gone or will be in short order.

As with everything else they come out with better product every day.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Thanks Rocky.

I've been using blue for so long I never looked into the newer ones. In fact my tube of blue is probably 6-10 years old. But I have never had an oil leak while using it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I got the new parts in (Cylinder head cover and Goldwing trim piece).

Decided to install everything. Cleaned off the old gasket sealant and applied the new sealant. Put the cover back on. Started putting on bolts and tightening them when........ you guessed it..... I BROKE A BOLT !!!!

So a quick run to Advance Auto Parts. Bought a broken screw removing bit. Drilled a small hole in the broke off bolt. Hammered in the removing bit. And backed that puppy on out.

Problem is that now I need a new bolt. ONE STUPID BOLT !! Aaarrrggghhh.....

Oh well off to order one. :excited:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts