GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got one but never used it......keep it packed away for those "oh no" moments on the highway.....
It is certainlythe right price and size!! I hope it works if I ever need it!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a Slime compressor similar to it, but a little bigger(#40001). It works good but kinda slow. Just make sure that you do not run it more that a couple of minutes at a time. It gets hot real quick and start to smoke. If you tire is way low on pressure, it will take a long time to fill it a little bit at a time.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I couldn't find any reference to how much amp draw there is with this little pump. Some of these pumps are 7-8 amps. Just make sure you don't exceed the fuse limit for where ever you have a 12v outlet installed on your bike.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I have one. Never used it to pump a tire that was completely empty but have used it a fair amount to make minor pressure adjustments on the road. I believe it has some sort of warning not to run it for more than 'X' minutes at one time but forget what it is.

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
seems like a nice little compressor but i do wonder about that screw on connector, how much air pressure will the tire loose by the time the connector is removed ?

i would for sure test it before packing it away in the bike :thumbup:

·
Registered
528 Posts
I used one that a friend had on his bike when we were on our way up to Americade a couple weeks ago. It's not fast but it works well enough to get the tire fully inflated after doing a plug job on it on the side of the highway.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Just had occasion to use mine on my last ride. Wife hit a bad pothole and bent the rim causing loss of air pressure. I was able to air it up with the slime compressor and get home. The biggest thing is to observe the warning about maximum run time. They do get hot! I always keep the engine running while using it to prevent draining the battery.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I've got two of them, one for the Wing and one for the Harley. The one on the Wing has been used twice, once last June when a front valve stem broke in Carlsbad, New Mexico and a few months later when I came out at work and found a cut in my back tire (looked like a pocket knife tip had been jabbed into the center of the tread). Both time I let the compressor run until the tire was inflated, it got a little hot, but survived. The one on the Harley got used to inflate the rear tire on John Deere garden tractor a few weeks ago, again I let it run until the tire was inflated. They do get hot, just keep them away from anything cumbustable and they will be fine.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I was just going to say yes until I saw the picture. My mini slime compressor is a little larger I believe. I have used mine however and it works fine. Just don't be in a hurry!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Not sure which model I bought, but had to use it about 1 week after buying it. Worked great.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
You can further reduce the size by about 2/3's

I took mine out of the BIG BLACK case and repacked it into
a small tupperware container that fits
where the CD changer should go.

It only draws high amps if you ask for high pressure.
For the pressures needed on the wing (36-41 psi)
it only draws about 3-4 amps.

I've used it several times to top off
and once after plugging a nail hole.
.. works great.

picture of it repacked next to the key for size comparison

Dennis

·
Registered
307 Posts
I got one. Been using it and it works fine. Gauge is off by a pound but that is nothing. I think it popped my fuse the other day. I have a inline fuse on my recepticle and it is only 3 amp. I think the draw may be a little higher. But I did fill up both bikes with it. Got a pack of 3 amp fuses now on the bike. Was wonding if I could put a little larger fuse in line to handle it but I aint no master at that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts