GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get my Wing out of my backyard but the ground is too soft and slippery. Have considered pulling it but have no idea where to attach the pull rope. How can I do it without damaging the old gal?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I would be afraid to tow my wing unless I really knew the driver well I would want to be on the wing.

I would use a trailer

·
Registered
922 Posts
Do it like the Egyptians, plywood, stop bike move plywood, repeat... might work..

I need to get my Wing out of my backyard but the ground is too soft and slippery. Have considered pulling it but have no idea where to attach the pull rope. How can I do it without damaging the old gal?

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Do it like the Egyptians, plywood, stop bike move plywood, repeat... might work..
:agree: It can be towed but not easily and you risk damaging the bike big time, especially if you lose your footing while the towing source (car, truck, your wife ;)) keeps pulling when your not in a position to support the bike.

Your best bet is to either wait it out till the ground hardens up (I'm too impatient for that), or like Hennigm4 said, get a couple sheets of cheap plywood and go from sheet to sheet. Then store the plywood for the next time. And later in the season lay some flagstone down to the shed.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Awww......Just get on and let her slip & slide a little :shock:. I did that once....or twice ;)

GW Davis Rally 003.jpg

·
Registered
532 Posts
mud

And some guys laugh about us that have mud and snow tires on the back

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Just get a buddy or two to help support.

One on each side. Start her up, your on the clutch side, slip the clutch and idle her right on out.

I do this by myself every year. Even have a small side hill to get through. Works every time. Once you see how easy it goes with a couple friends helping support it, you will try it by yourself next year.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Awww......Just get on and let her slip & slide a little :shock:. I did that once....or twice ;)

View attachment 52325
Looks like the roads the mischievous woman in the GPS directs me to, except the road is usually too steep for a photographer to stand on to take my picture.

but back on topic, I agree with those who suggested scrap plywood.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I USED to have the same problem until I put a Car Tire on it......:popcorn:

Slow and steady, basically let it idle the whole way out.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Kevin, I've been there a time or two, or three. ;)

I've you do go with the plywood idea, be very careful getting any mud on it. It will make it very, very slippery. I've been there to. :oops:

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I had the same issue with my '83 Wing. The back tire sunk into the mud above the lower part of the rim. I put a rope around the front fork tubes and pulled it out with a tractor. That is why I bought an enclosed trailer so I could pull the trailer to the driveway and then unload.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Find a carpet installer. He may have some he has taken out. Probably get it free.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It sometimes pays to wait, ground froze again and just drove the big gal up the hill!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts