GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I installed a new set of chrome levers from big bike parts. All was fine until this afternoon about a mile from home I noticed my clutch was slippingCould the new levers be the problem? Or do I have bigger problems

·
Registered
6 Posts
slipping clutch

Its poiable that when you installed the levers that you got them to tight to completely release the clutch --but not likely---its possiably very nasty timing. but try to loosen up the clutch lever and make sure its set to have a clearance before it touches the plunger--or just put the old one back on and see if it still slips.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I have my levers set at 2 on the round adjustment wheel. Check yours, usually the problem goes the other way in that you don't get a fully dis-engaged clutch when you change levers and or grips out which causes hard shifting or gear clash.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Yesterday I installed a new set of chrome levers from big bike parts. All was fine until this afternoon about a mile from home I noticed my clutch was slippingCould the new levers be the problem? Or do I have bigger problems

Make sure that the pin into the clutch master is fitting properly into the brass bushing in the lever.if this isn't fit correctly,the clutch master will act as if you have the lever slightly pulled in..(Clutch slips when that happens)

Look at the bushing again,the hole in the center in it fits one way,you could have it flipped the wrong way,and it could be causing the pin to bind,therefore depressing the clutch master..

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have a friend that told me he installed new levers and found his clutch slipping. The bushing that Rocky talks about was the culprit. He noticed that his oil was really smelly and black from clutch burn so you might want to take a look at the oil.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Make sure that the pin into the clutch master is fitting properly into the brass bushing in the lever.if this isn't fit correctly,the clutch master will act as if you have the lever slightly pulled in..(Clutch slips when that happens)

Look at the bushing again,the hole in the center in it fits one way,you could have it flipped the wrong way,and it could be causing the pin to bind,therefore depressing the clutch master..
+2:agree:
Been there.
I have since gone back to the stock levers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took the clutch lever off and noticed pressure on th bolt. I found that tne plunger not seated in the bushing.I removed the brass bushing and reversed it. Now all is wellThanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts