GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.... I'm ready to do this, BUT....

Well, maybe I should start from the beginning. I have a very good friend that I ride with almost all of my miles. He has been a Darksider for quite a while now (number 640). We purchased a spare rear wheel and MC tire a couple of years ago, so we'd have one available in a pinch, if needed. Last year some time, he changed the MC tire over to a Pirelli run flat (after asking if I minded), so its just been sitting there in his garage.... until now!

We went for a ride last weekend, totaling a few miles under 1000. I did this on our spare tire/wheel, as the night before, we noticed that my rear tire was just a bit too worn (my bad) for the types of roads we were expecting to (and did) travel, in Central Ontario. To make a very long story short (sorry), I slid over to the Darkside, without hardly knowing I'd done it.

So now I'm gonna order a new rear (and front) tire, so I can put our spare back in the garage and get out there riding on my own CT and I have been looking at the various brands. I see the Bridgestone Blizzak LM60 (195/55/16) run flat and like the look of the tread, so thought I'd try one. Is anyone on here running that tire? Maybe someone here can let me know if there are any negatives regarding this specific tire. If so, I'll probably order a Pirelli Eufori.

I guess I'll be looking for a "Darksider" number and sticker now!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Can't help on the tire but...

:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....
PM Sent...

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
No personal experience on that tire, but there was a write up on some B'stone tires that were coming apart, here on this forum a week or so ago. Based on that info, I wouldn't go near a stone till further research. Good luck and welcome to the darkside Luke. I spent a yr in Temaugami Ont when I was in school.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Congratulations on becoming a Darksider :thumbup:... even if you didn't see it coming ;)! Can't help you out with that tire either.... but I just got back from the west coast of California... just under 14,000km's....
8,3000+(s)miles, 23 days and my Kuhmo RF still looks just like brand new. Pushed it quite a bit in the mountains of WV and NM. Ran and felt great especially in the torrential rains of Minot ND.
The only comment that I would like to add is, I used to run the (70 series MC tire which corrected the mileage) the fact that my bike here (Canada) is an 08, so by going back to a 195-55-16 it makes me have Honda miles, 4% fast. I am going to look the next time for a 195-60-16 or maybe even a 195-65-16 so that my mileage on the bike will be closer to GPS specs. JMHO

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
One or two have run it...haven't heard anything bad... Most of the run flats are great..Cheers

·
Registered
879 Posts
Welcome to the DARK SIDE:22yikes: R C. I looked at that stone and decided to go back with the Kumho. Cant go wrong with the Pirelli or Kumho.:congrats:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Welcome and congrats on deciding to go RF.

I have no experience with that particular tire, but, I can tell you that they "all" work and work well.

Basically, IMO, there are really only two important differences in CTs for the Wing:

Price
RF or NRF

About the only other choice is Tread Design and Winter versus the rest.

A Winter tire will be less likely to get hard in extreme temps because of rubber compound. They also starrt with an extra 32nd of tread and are slightly rounder at the edge. They also work well in Summer.

The rest are either all-season or performance compounds.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
OK.... I'm ready to do this, BUT....

Well, maybe I should start from the beginning. I have a very good friend that I ride with almost all of my miles. He has been a Darksider for quite a while now (number 640). We purchased a spare rear wheel and MC tire a couple of years ago, so we'd have one available in a pinch, if needed. Last year some time, he changed the MC tire over to a Pirelli run flat (after asking if I minded), so its just been sitting there in his garage.... until now!

We went for a ride last weekend, totaling a few miles under 1000. I did this on our spare tire/wheel, as the night before, we noticed that my rear tire was just a bit too worn (my bad) for the types of roads we were expecting to (and did) travel, in Central Ontario. To make a very long story short (sorry), I slid over to the Darkside, without hardly knowing I'd done it.

So now I'm gonna order a new rear (and front) tire, so I can put our spare back in the garage and get out there riding on my own CT and I have been looking at the various brands. I see the Bridgestone Blizzak LM60 (195/55/16) run flat and like the look of the tread, so thought I'd try one. Is anyone on here running that tire? Maybe someone here can let me know if there are any negatives regarding this specific tire. If so, I'll probably order a Pirelli Eufori.

I guess I'll be looking for a "Darksider" number and sticker now!! :lol:
:congrats: Rick! Welcome to the Darkside!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Don't forget Darksider cookies are available from Rail32. All you have to do is let him know you're coming and they will be waiting on his counter for you in Wisconsin!:thumbup:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Welcome to the Dark Side! :congrats:

I just got back from several days of riding the twistees of East Tennessee and Western North Carolina (dragon 4 times, 441 through to Cherokee and BRP to highest point and back). I had a blast! :excited:

It was a real blast when other bikes pulled off on the dragon to let me by (two up at that). :22yikes: I talked to a couple on a wing at the bottom of my last run and he was impressed that I ran him down. I was impressed he kicked it up enuff to keep me behind him. His wife wasn't.

I'm still looking for new drivers pegs (Stock if anyone has any) cuz I have no acorn nuts, or much else, left on them. Most of my hi way peg's drag pegs are gone too.

Enjoy the Dark Side!!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

FEEL THE POWER OF THE DARKSIDE!!!!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Need some information on the Darkside

I have purchased a 2003 GL1800 and have read various posts about the CT on the wing. I am concerned about the handling as I am sure everyone who embarks down this route is. I need to get new tires for the bike and would like to investigate the CT route. I have always read that when the tires get flat in the middle, it is time to change them on a MC. It would seem that putting a car tire on a bike would instantly give it the flat spot. How does the handling change when you are leaninf far enough to scrape a footpeg. I did road racing for a number of years and am comfortable leaning the wing over but am concerned about the handling. Thanks very much for your thoughts and experiences.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well Kampinguru, I have only ridden about 1500 miles so far on my CT, but I haven't changed my riding style. I'm not a regular peg scraper, but I've certainly been known to do that. I rode this last weekend trip no different than I ever do and never had an instance where I felt like I was going to lose traction. Some of the riding through some NICE twisties was done .... well, spirited, and here I am, talking about it!!

I feel I need to do a bit more counter steering, but that's really not a problem. The tire wants to sit flat on the road, so if you're riding on pavement that has the tracks a bit rutted, it'll want to find the middle of the rut. The same goes for finding flat spots at intersection stops. Other than that, I didn't experience any negative affects. It handles just fine. I'm already forgetting that it's on there. The thing I noticed most was the change in the ride; it is much smoother and road bumps just aren't as harsh as they were, using and MC tire.

I'm liking it, so far! :thumbup:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the welcome!

I have to tell you that I was one of the naysayers, regarding the use of car tires on a motorcycle. My good friend Marcel has been riding one for some time now and I just told everyone that would listen that "I would NEVER install one of those on my bike". I even took his bike for a ride (at his urging) and felt that it just wasn't for me; but hey, each to his own, right! Then this last weekend ride happened and under the circumstances, I didn't have much choice; either use one or miss the ride, so I put it on.... and now for the rest of the story....

Well Marcel, Ladies and gentlemen, I am here now, before you, to eat my words.... "I would install one of those on my bike". (NEVER :eat1:)

I thank you all, for the warm welcome.... to "The Darkside" :excited:

This morning, I ordered a
in the size 195/55/16, so I'll have the (borrowed) CT sitting back in the garage some time next week and I'll certainly let you all know how it feels, when I get a few miles on it.

I have already received my "Darkside" number and am sending the money in for my sticker. Now, I can't wait to ride for some of those cookies!

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Congrats Rick. I know exactly where you are coming from and I may not have made the change had it not been for Murgie offering up his bike for a test ride. The funny part is that I remember installing car tires on Harley's in the 1960s, but was still concerned. Now, I wouldn't consider buying a bike i couldn't put a CT on.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Kampinguru,

Using a CT will not slow you down. I've scraped pegs, and engine guards while running a CT and never got off the tread and onto the sidewall. The tire never complained either.

As was stated, the biggest difference is that you need to maintain countersteering input throughout the turn and not just upon corner entry. The square tire always seeks to be level or flat on the road surface.

On corner exit, you simply release your input and the bike stands up versus having to reapply countersteering (opposite direction) with a MT.

You'll also notice that changes in road camber/uneveness are much more noticable. That's the main disadvantage of having such a wide contact patch. Course there are a lot of advantages to the wide contact patch as well.

It took me a good 200 miles of riding my favorite back roads to come to grips with the handling change. It's just different not dangerous. After about 1000 miles, the additional effort required to initiate turns faded away.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and if you do try a CT let us know what you think of it. :thumbup:

I have purchased a 2003 GL1800 and have read various posts about the CT on the wing. I am concerned about the handling as I am sure everyone who embarks down this route is. I need to get new tires for the bike and would like to investigate the CT route. I have always read that when the tires get flat in the middle, it is time to change them on a MC. It would seem that putting a car tire on a bike would instantly give it the flat spot. How does the handling change when you are leaninf far enough to scrape a footpeg. I did road racing for a number of years and am comfortable leaning the wing over but am concerned about the handling. Thanks very much for your thoughts and experiences.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Welcome!!!!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts