GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like we need to do things a little different with the way the server handles the stats and log files. :( Seems that we are dishing out about 200 gigs a month right now and the different boards are getting anywhere from 5.2 to 9.2 million hits a month :shock: That is some pretty serious traffic and log files. :shock: so we need to make a few changes.

This is what I got from the hosting company.

"Lamont. I believe that I may have found your problem. Your log files had grown huge, since they are never deleted, and the server runs your stats program every night. Your stats would take forever to process, slowing the server down greatly."

Just hang tight and know that we are working on it and it will get better. :D

·
Registered
552 Posts
That's all? 5-9million hits a month!! lol

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I have not ever noticed a big lag on the service. My only problem is that I used to get the messages in my emails that someone made a comment on a subject that I had posted. Now I am not getting it. That is a very useful item that I miss. I checked all of the settings and nothing has changed on them. Is some of this a result of the other problem?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Ya it's probably all them yeller ones gettin caught in all the dust left over from the SILVER ones going bye. One big yeller Jam up! LOL :yes2:

(Cabin fever )

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Having a host that can manage traffic when the numbers climb requires experience and often some hosts even though they are in "the business" simply don't have that particular experience. Volumes in excess of 100 million a day are not uncommon with some places on the net, so traffic can be handled quite effectively with significantly larger numbers.

You should look at using Apache's rotate logs feature... and use urchin.com for server stats.

Not to be critical ,but the fact that your host responded without a quick solution shows they may "not" have that experience.

Good luck,

DaleC

If your host can't resolve this issue, give Ray a call at http://www.jupiterhosting.com a call at (866-746-4678). He can solve your problem and also probably reduce your costs too.

Here's a cam shot of a top notch host and server site that handles numbers and bandwidth you can't even imagine.

http://cam1.jupiterhosting.com

G

·
0 Posts
Mike L said:
Ya it's probably all them yeller ones gettin caught in all the dust left over from the SILVER ones going bye. One big yeller Jam up! LOL :yes2:

(Cabin fever )
:beer2:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Fuzzy said:
Thanks for all you do LaMonster!

This is a great board.

Speed seems to be better already :D
I second the above comments :roll: Keep up the good work. :D :wink:

:biker: :yes: :rw1: :luck:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
its not just here, i have experienced a lot of slow downs and problems with the net for about a week now.

loren

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Any Update on Server?

LaMonster said:
Looks like we need to do things a little different with the way the server handles the stats and log files. :( Seems that we are dishing out about 200 gigs a month right now and the different boards are getting anywhere from 5.2 to 9.2 million hits a month :shock: That is some pretty serious traffic and log files. :shock: so we need to make a few changes.

This is what I got from the hosting company.

"Lamont. I believe that I may have found your problem. Your log files had grown huge, since they are never deleted, and the server runs your stats program every night. Your stats would take forever to process, slowing the server down greatly."

Just hang tight and know that we are working on it and it will get better. :D
Lamont
Any update on this? Last nite about 7 PM EST things were going pretty good. Not great but going. I left and came back about 9:15 PM EST and couldn't even get the main page. Seems to take QUITE awhile go get to the Index page. Once there, can read msgs reasonably fast as long as I don't change categories say from 'General' to 'Tech'. Takes inordinate amt of time to switch categories compared to two months ago.

Not complainin' - just wonderin'

Thanx

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't heard back from the server guy yet other than they were working on it. :( As you can see it is not fixed but I will do something about after I get back from Daytona. It may take another move if this dosen't get fixed soon :( :cry: :roll: :evil: :x :?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts