GL1800Riders Forums banner

181 - 200 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Looks like it's time for a bump. Few ppl said they couldn't find this thread so BTT.

Been a long time... Hope everyone is doing well.

·
Administrator
3,575 Posts
Looks like it's time for a bump. Few ppl said they couldn't find this thread so BTT.

Been a long time... Hope everyone is doing well.

This thread has been one of the most informative helpful threads I've seen here. I keep saying that I'm gonna try it myself! DJ, good to see you post again. Don't be a stranger.

Glen

Reactions: DJ Fire

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
No offense taken but... And I know this is going to come out poorly...

Please do no post what you are doing in this thread.

I strongly disagree with what you are doing and your viewpoint.

You are altering the course to the point that you are taking steps backwards.

Nobody sets out to do 360's as an end result but it is a vital step to moving forward. The title of this thread is Slow speed control and tighter turning, not tight, or tightest, but tighter.

I am concerned other rider may mimic you and that moves them further from their goal.

Keep in mind my goal is to have a course where any rider can understand the information easily, actually perform the exercises efficiently, and is the fastest method for getting them up to speed.

All I ask in return is an honest effort and a completely open mind. We need to open your mind. Don't come into this with a mindset that you don't want to do this or that. I can't help you then.

I would be happy to chat with you via phone if you wish.

Again, I know this isn't going to come across smoothly so please understand I am not the best at communications via text.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Thanks for making the technique popular.

gramps

The techniques I have laid out are only good if applied correctly. Again, you are developing bad habits. I implore you to re evaluate the information contained in this thread. Please reread my early posts.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dj Fire,

Fairly new rider and wanted to say thanks for the information. Have a 12 GW and will start practicing your techniques.

Lot of discussion and I think I already know but from a seasoned rider with many miles under your belt, what is your opinion on using CT on a bike.
I like the feel of a MT and am gaining confidence in my riding ability each time I radio and it would seem that CT, while providing some extra traction, is just not the best way to go.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Dj Fire,

Lot of discussion and I think I already know but from a seasoned rider with many miles under your belt, what is your opinion on using CT on a bike.

Thoughts?
PM me... this isn't the place for Darkside chat and those can spiral out of control very quickly.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Hey folks.... we are way overdue for a bump. Lotta new riders on the site.

I hope you find this info helpful but...

PLEASE NOTE: the 2018+ wings have a different gear ratio and the 3rd gear technique DOES NOT WORK. You will stall the machine.

Please keep to 2nd gear.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Hey folks.... we are way overdue for a bump. Lotta new riders on the site.

I hope you find this info helpful but...

PLEASE NOTE: the 2018+ wings have a different gear ratio and the 3rd gear technique DOES NOT WORK. You will stall the machine.

Please keep to 2nd gear.
Hello, and thank you very much for this thread. I only found it this morning, but it has been riveting. I have read the first 10 pages, and watched the linked youtube videos. I plan to begin practicing the 3rd gear, 10 turns in each direction ASAP. I have a large parking lot nearby, but it is no where near level. So must think of a place more suitable.

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Tried some yesterday, and level is very helpful.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Don't forget to post up your questions and successes!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Guys,

New to the forum and goldwing. Been struggling with RLAP for a year and even took the RLAP Indiana course, which was great.

However, this progression that DJ Fire has shared is absolutely the best way I’ve found to gain confidence. I was scraping pegs with in 10 minutes on the left side and then the right in 20minutes in 3rd gear.

Now I can almost scrape them at will. I have been having so much fun that my kury driver mini boards have been nearly worn to a knife edge.

Been getting way more confident in the friction zone.

Today my break through handling the bike was to exaggerate my head and eyes, to the point where I’m looking above the edge of the wind screen at the lowest setting. I don’t even think of looking down at the gauges, just use my ears. I think that it really affects your center of gravity when you look down even just a little bit and actually makes turning the bars more difficult. With the cone weave, you really have to just trust peripheral vision and just let the dip quickly from left to right as you turn the bars.

Thanks again DJ Fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another new wing owner here.( almost, Pick up my 2010 this week)

Thank You SOO much for this info! I have practiced the RLP techniques and do pretty well with my VTX 1300S. Dragging the floor boards is no big deal on corners but haven't mastered real slow speed dragging.

I was a little concerned about trying those techniques with the Wing but now I'm excited to get out to get out and start practicing with your techniques, I think they will be a HUGE help in mastering the Wing!

Thanks again, this is gonna be fun!

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
I understand they may have Top Gun again at WingDing (in Nashville). Hint hint
negative... struggling to justify going now.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #199

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
negative... struggling to justify going now.
Too bad. I went last year just because it was local and Pistol Pete invited me to show my GL1000 in his booth. It was a lot of fun and a good setup with parking next door in the old convention center. Don't see this happening in Nashville if they are still afraid to have Top Gun. Watched a motor officer competition in Charleston SC a few years ago that was very good. Practice day saw a lot of chrome on asphalt!

181 - 200 of 270 Posts