GL1800Riders Forums banner

201 - 220 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
[QUOTE=pidjones;5595879] Watched a motor officer competition in Charleston SC a few years ago that was very good. Practice day saw a lot of chrome on asphalt![/QUOTE]

You were in town and didn't call me? I'm crushed!:laugh:

I love going to that Rodeo here at the Coliseum. And you do see a lot of bikes hitting the ground. So even the GREAT police riders still drop them. There's NO HOPE for me then. LOL!!

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
You were in town and didn't call me? I'm crushed!

I love going to that Rodeo here at the Coliseum. And you do see a lot of bikes hitting the ground. So even the GREAT police riders still drop them. There's NO HOPE for me then. LOL!!

This was probably 6 - 7 years ago. We were having a ship's reunion at the Sheraton where many of the officers were staying. And it being nearby, Judy and I went over for part of both practice and competition days.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Ever since reading this thread a few weeks ago, I have been looking for a large, vacant, LEVEL parking lot, but to no avail here in Kentucky. So yesterday, decided to work with what's available, in a church parking lot nearby. It's fairly large and usually vacant, but neither level nor smooth. Still, I can do 3rd gear circles and, so far, have not fell down. I did 30 each way yesterday, and 25/25 so far today. I plan to make it routine to do 10/10 each time I go out for a ride, and upon return.

So far, have not scraped a floorboard, but believe if the GW had OEM pegs, it may have scraped some. The bottom outboard edge of the Kury floorboards are about 3/8" higher than the ends of the stock pegs. Today, I ordered peg scrapers from [email protected], and plan to install them on the OEM pegs, then swap out the Kury boards. This swap is only temporary, to get used to pegs' scraping, as I have tried the pegs before, and much prefer the Kury boards.

So far, I feel increasingly comfortable with the 10/10 circles. At least I'm not white knuckling as much now as with the first 10. I believe, as the OP said, this exercise will help with safer low speed riding, and if I accidentally scrape a peg at highway speeds, will be less likely to panic.

Again, THANKS MUCH to the OP. :)

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
In my experience Floorboards usually scrape waaaaay easier than foot-pegs .

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
In my experience Floorboards usually scrape waaaaay easier than foot-pegs .
That was my experience too, in the 1990s on a GL1500. I woulda thought on the GL1800 as well, but not so. As mentioned, the boards sit about 3/8" higher, which causes more bend in the knees when seated. Further, a few months ago, when I swapped out the boards, I had not yet scraped the boards. But within a week I scraped the pegs a couple of times. One spot where I scraped them was on a freeway exit I had taken many times before, and never once scraped the boards. That was when I carefully examined, and noted the height difference.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Hey Joe, are these the floorboards you are talking about.
KURYAKYN CHROME FLOORBOARDS W/HEEL SHIFTER
Your link did not work for me, but I believe this is what I have. It is an earlier model, that did not come with a special brake pedal. Instead, has an extension for the OEM pedal. Tonight, I double checked, and pretty sure the lower, outer edge of the floorboards are 3/8" higher than the OEM pegs.
I also got a large plank, about 6' x 3', and aligned it with front and rear tires, then angled it upward to simulate the asphalt surface; looks like the floorboards would scrape first, but at that point the Ergo III peg mounts have only 1/2" left before they'd scrape. That's concerning. The Ergo II would give at least another 1/2", but I plan to look at others also. It seems I need to sort my GW's clearance issues before scraping pegs.

I cannot get an eBay link to work either, for some reason tonight.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Let me try this again, link didn't work for me either. Lesson here, try your links after posting them.

https://wingstuff.com/products/2624-kuryakyn-chrome-floorboards-w-heel-shifter
Yes, that is what I have except, as mentioned above, mine does not have a matching brake pedal. Instead, it has an adapter on the OEM pedal, to make it wider and taller.

Today, I remembered I have a phone ap that measures angle degrees. So I put the bike on center stand, broke out the plank again, and spent three hours measuring. I also swapped in the OEM pegs and ERGO IIs for comparison. I shoulda done this before commenting yesterday, and now say FORGET everything I said yesterday!

Today's discovery: The floorboards are 1/2" wider than OEM pegs, and same height (on bottom). The boards touch down at 42 degrees, while the OEM peg acorn nut touches around 47. The ERGO II and III pegs' mounts both touch at 45 degrees. With floorboards installed, the kickstand cants downward 1.5", and touches down at 45 degrees (simultaneous with the ERGO mounts). With OEM pegs installed, the kickstand fully retracts, and likely would not touch till @50 degrees (not measured, but eyeballed). Again, eyeball says the center stand, when up, would not touch down till at least 50 degrees.

The ERGO III, with foot pad out but the arm up, the pad touches at 40 degrees; with arm down, it touches at 35 degrees. Now knowing this, I plan to leave the pads out, to serve as first drag warning.

In sum, now I feel like a real wimp, not having even dragged the floorboards, which drag about 5 degrees before the pegs would. It also appears the ERGO mounts will drag before the OEM pegs anyway, and only 3 degrees after the boards drag.

Again, thanks to the OP for this thread, and spreading the knowledge.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Today I modified the kickstand and bottom of the left floorboard slightly, and gained 1/2" of kickstand clearance; the floorboard now only pushes it down 1", instead of 1.5". I guesstimate this surely will delay kickstand drag by a little.

I next dropped rear shock preload to zero, to increase likelihood of dragging. I then went to the parking lot and rode 3rd gear circles about an hour. At first I was counting 10/10, but later just rode 4-5 minutes in each direction; estimated total of at least 150 circles each way. As I improved counterbalancing and stiff arming, circle radii became smaller. Later the boards began to drag, at first just a kiss now and then, but eventually almost every circle, and dragged longer and longer. Max drag was about 1/3rd of a circle, but usually much less. I also felt a, "hard part" drag a few times, likely the ERGOs, kickstand, or both. Will put the bike on the center stand later and look for evidence.

I realize if the suspension is at max preload, dragging will be delayed, but for now just trying to experience what dragging feels like. I also realize this practice can be dangerous. Today I had two close calls: once I was headed for a telephone pole, with loose gravel near it. That was the only time I hit the brake today. Another time, the bike seemed to lean too far, I panicked and put my right foot out (but not down). I later realized my right foot had been rearward, very near the rear crash bar, and if I'd put it down, the crash bar likely woulda broken my ankle. Yep, even in a semi-controlled scenario, things can go sideways very quickly.

Leaning any motorcycle over as far as today is definitely outside of my experience and skill set. But it's also fun, and I like learning new things.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Today I modified the kickstand and bottom of the left floorboard slightly, and gained 1/2" of kickstand clearance; the floorboard now only pushes it down 1", instead of 1.5". I guesstimate this surely will delay kickstand drag by a little.

I next dropped rear shock preload to zero, to increase likelihood of dragging. I then went to the parking lot and rode 3rd gear circles about an hour. At first I was counting 10/10, but later just rode 4-5 minutes in each direction; estimated total of at least 150 circles each way. As I improved counterbalancing and stiff arming, circle radii became smaller. Later the boards began to drag, at first just a kiss now and then, but eventually almost every circle, and dragged longer and longer. Max drag was about 1/3rd of a circle, but usually much less. I also felt a, "hard part" drag a few times, likely the ERGOs, kickstand, or both. Will put the bike on the center stand later and look for evidence.

I realize if the suspension is at max preload, dragging will be delayed, but for now just trying to experience what dragging feels like. I also realize this practice can be dangerous. Today I had two close calls: once I was headed for a telephone pole, with loose gravel near it. That was the only time I hit the brake today. Another time, the bike seemed to lean too far, I panicked and put my right foot out (but not down). I later realized my right foot had been rearward, very near the rear crash bar, and if I'd put it down, the crash bar likely woulda broken my ankle. Yep, even in a semi-controlled scenario, things can go sideways very quickly.

Leaning any motorcycle over as far as today is definitely outside of my experience and skill set. But it's also fun, and I like learning new things.
Wow, your a brave man Joe! One of the most important things that you said was that you want to do do is GET USED TO THE SOUND.

The first time I dragged the boards on my VTX 1300 I flinched and tried to straighten up. I was instantly onto the oncoming lane!!
I was very lucky that time.

Another time riding with friends one of the riders dragged his peg and did the same thing except that he was on a left hand turn and drove off the road! After some very squirrely riding with his legs out he finally got it back on to the pavement. ( scared the crap out of me tho, I thought for sure he was a gonner).

He said afterwards he didn't know what happened, but I sure did!!
I heard it.

I have practiced the RLP training on my VTX and now feel comfortable dragging the boards on corners with the X but only had the wing for a week + 600 miles. This bike feels COMPLETELY different.

I'm going to need a lot of practice but can't wait to start, Great to hear that this method is working for you.

Writing up your experience is great encouragement for others...Like me!

Keep up the good work and safe riding.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Today, I ordered peg scrapers from [email protected], and plan to install them on the OEM pegs, then swap out the Kury boards.
Joe,

I talked to Kuryakyn today, we CAN order replacements for the plastic sliders on the outside edge of the floorboards.

Kury Part # 404055S
I have two of them coming, mine are about gone, $22 shipped.

An alternative would be two buy a used semi mudflap, cut a double-thick piece to size, and bolt that in place. $22 not worth the work for me.

·
Registered
455 Posts
the bike seemed to lean too far, I panicked and put my right foot out (but not down).
You have to commit to keeping your feet on the boards, no matter what. Whether you power out of it, or slide out, keep your feet on the boards.
It's an easy thing to say, but a hard thing to do. I caught my foot once while learning, and it hurt for a week.

Good on ya for being willing to learn something new! Too many aren't.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another tip is to take some 1" ID automotive heater hoes and wrap your highway bars to keep them from getting scratched.... you know, IF you happen to drop it. (notice I didn't say "when")

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
If you do fall with feet on pegs or boards a broke bone is very possible, but with some time it would very likely heal fine.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you do fall with feet on pegs or boards a broke bone is very possible, but with some time it would very likely heal fine.
If you try to 'catch' the bike, it's very easy to fold your foot under and break your foot and/or ankle. I very nearly did that, got lucky and didn't break anything.

The crash bars do a good job of keeping the bike off your ankle, unlike most bikes. I have dropped it a few times intentionally pushing the limits of lean and turn. It doesn't go over far enough to pin your foot under it.

Even on sport-ish bikes, I have seen people try to 'catch' the bike, their foot plants, and the peg hits them in the back of of the calf. It's easy to hyperextend the foot that way, and break an ankle. It's even easier with a wing that's leaned over, plant a foot, and the bag protector bar tries to fold you foot over almost flat.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Last night I re-read this entire thread. This morning I reset the rear suspension preload to 25, where I usually leave it. Then I went back to the parking lot, and rode 3rd gear circles for a little over an hour. Not sure how many circles, but I did keep it to around 10 before changing directions. Per the odometer, I rode a little over 10 miles, in circles. LOL

Today the first 10-20 circles were like starting over, but I soon began scraping the floorboards again. Later, I began scraping them at least some during every circle. I usually scraped about 1/4th of the way around the circle, but several times over half way around, and a few times probably 2/3rd of the way. I also hit hard parts occasionally, so I am sure there will be plenty of evidence as to which hard parts scraped, once I get round to inspecting the bike. I did flip up the floorboards and look at their skid pads. Both are worn all the way through, and into the aluminum, but I don't mind. Curiously, whichever hard parts are scraping, it's not the ERGOs, as I had speculated would be.

I believe I could almost scrape all the way around the circle, at least occasionally, but there are a few challenges in the parking lot: it is sloped; has patches of loose gravel, twigs and debris, several large chunks of asphalt scattered about, and a few telephone poles right up on the edge of the asphalt. The GL1800 easily chugs around the circle, but slows down a bit when going uphill. At top of the hill is where it is most difficult to keep scraping, due to slower speed and the downhill angle working against me. However, going downhill and at the bottom of the hill is where scraping is easiest. If I ever find a nice, level parking lot, like in the OP's videos, I may think it's too easy. LOL

Definitely gonna keep this up, as it's getting funner every time I do it.

Reactions: dduelin

·
Registered
909 Posts
Last night I re-read this entire thread. This morning I reset the rear suspension preload to 25, where I usually leave it. Then I went back to the parking lot, and rode 3rd gear circles for a little over an hour. Not sure how many circles, but I did keep it to around 10 before changing directions. Per the odometer, I rode a little over 10 miles, in circles. LOL

Today the first 10-20 circles were like starting over, but I soon began scraping the floorboards again. Later, I began scraping them at least some during every circle. I usually scraped about 1/4th of the way around the circle, but several times over half way around, and a few times probably 2/3rd of the way. I also hit hard parts occasionally, so I am sure there will be plenty of evidence as to which hard parts scraped, once I get round to inspecting the bike. I did flip up the floorboards and look at their skid pads. Both are worn all the way through, and into the aluminum, but I don't mind. Curiously, whichever hard parts are scraping, it's not the ERGOs, as I had speculated would be.

I believe I could almost scrape all the way around the circle, at least occasionally, but there are a few challenges in the parking lot: it is sloped; has patches of loose gravel, twigs and debris, several large chunks of asphalt scattered about, and a few telephone poles right up on the edge of the asphalt. The GL1800 easily chugs around the circle, but slows down a bit when going uphill. At top of the hill is where it is most difficult to keep scraping, due to slower speed and the downhill angle working against me. However, going downhill and at the bottom of the hill is where scraping is easiest. If I ever find a nice, level parking lot, like in the OP's videos, I may think it's too easy. LOL

Definitely gonna keep this up, as it's getting funner every time I do it.
I didn't read the whole thread through, excuse me for that, but are these circles full-lock?

201 - 220 of 270 Posts