GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to practice as often as possible, but man does it get boring. I just read that in order to be proficient, it takes 1/2 hour a week. :crew:

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I do so whenever the opportunity presents, but I don't look for reasons. I much prefer to look for opportunities to work on the high speed twisties :D

Having said that, every time I ride I turn around in my driveway without touching the ground (me, not the motorcycle).

·
Registered
303 Posts
I usually do a few u-turns with the bars locked each week. I find that most of them are left turns as a result, and I have them down pat. Need to work on R/H turns.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I keep meaning to spend some practice time, but it's been too hot until just recently. All that slow stuff over a hot engine does not go down well in 85 degree plus weather.

I bought Palladino's "Ride Like A Pro" DVD Course, and will get out and do it now that the temps are down. Also just signed up for a one day Total Control course with three friends that ride. Hopefully that will get us kick started on some regular practice sessions.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I purchased the Ride Like a Pro dvd last spring, watched part of it, but I'm almost embarassed to admit I've yet to practice the lock to lock turns! My plan is to start next spring!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I practice my Ride like a Pro manuvers every time I get home. My routine is a full lock turn to the left, and then one to the right in the figure 8 pattern before I will put the bike up in the garage.
I guess I am just anal about my slow speed manuvering and don't want to do the duck-walk when it comes time to make the wing dance...

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I go over to the high school parking lot once or twice a month and try to emulate the drills in the Advanced Rider Course. I find, when I am done I am able to negotiate turns, even higher speed turns better then what I felt I could do before I practiced. I don't spend any more time then 10 or 15 minutes.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I practice almost every day that I ride. Parking lots are fun, can turn inside two parking spots right or left, do it all the time. Practice helps but as I get older, its harder LOL :lol:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
I try to practice as often as possible, but man does it get boring. I just read that in order to be proficient, it takes 1/2 hour a week. :crew:
Easy Koko - Those dang nab curbs won't look good on the new scoot. :lol:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mr.b said:
[quote="Jan Kokochak":11df20km]I try to practice as often as possible, but man does it get boring. I just read that in order to be proficient, it takes 1/2 hour a week. :crew:
Easy Koko - Those dang nab curbs won't look good on the new scoot. :lol:[/quote:11df20km]

you got that right :shock:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Took a class with our local PD motor officers in October. Although I feel more confident than ever, the biggest thing I learned is how much I DON'T know about riding!

The biggest question I hear, and don't have the answer to, is how do you get past the fear of dropping your bike? Put a lot of money into a bike that's kept in pristine condition, and can't stand the thought of putting the first scratch on it. Do the engine guards work well enough on low speed manuevers to prevent damage to the bike if dropped? If not, what kind of damage can be expected if dropped during these low speed manuevers?

It's nice to watch our local PD. The cones for the class were put 3 feet further apart than our cops use on their two week course. To watch them go through is amazing. They would exaggerate the moves for people to see how it's done, and they would be lock to lock, dragging floorboards, and flip back to the other side. They would follow each other through with no more than about two feet separating them, and at least twice as fast as anybody else I saw go through that day. Truly amazing.

But back to the question, how do you get past dropping your bike?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I ride fairly often in town between long trips. ( 12000K/yr - ish) I also make 80% of those in-town trips two-up (SO) and most trips consist of parking lot in and out for shopping, entertainment, etc. The rest is in-town surface streets. I think I am fairly current and never considered practicing before.

The Motorcycle cop taining sounds intersting, but can't see dragging the cases as they do since I'm paying for the cases!.. They're not.

I wonder if there is something available for someone to atend a similar course and not dump your personal ride doing it?

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Brake ,Clutch and Throttle, all the time while turning my head to see where i'm going

·
Registered
271 Posts
I’ve dumped my Wing 3 times doing slow speed maneuvers. I always do them in second gear. The first time it happened the tip-over switch did not shut the engine off and my Wing started going around in circles. I ran over and hit the engine cut off switch. The bike was on its right side. I put the side stand down and picked it up. The only damage was the bottom of the engine guard and the passenger foot guard was scrapped. You have to get down on your hands and knees and look underneath to see the scrapes. The other two times there was not damage.

·
Registered
310 Posts
In the DVD, Ride like a Pro, Jerry Palladino shows how to tape a piece of heater hose to protect the crash bars, and then says he expects some bikes will fall over on slow speed turn practices!

Jonar G., the original WHITEFANG............

·
Registered
273 Posts
I also have Jerry Palladino's DVD, and it is really great. Probably the best $30 I ever spent on my motorcycling passion. But I don't practice often enough, I need to do it more often.

As far as dropping the bike, I have done it a couple of time in practice. I was going slow enough that it only put a scrape on the engine guard. But I hated having a blemish on the bike so I replaced it.

I've not tried the radiator hose but have also heard of this precaution from a motor officer. I had coffee a couple years back with a Colorado State Patrol motor officer. He told me that they are required to practice a lot to keep their quals as a motor cop and said that they drop their bikes in practice "all day long" (his words). If they drop their bikes as good as they are, then we don't have to feel bad if we drop ours in practice too. Of course they are probably doing some difficult routines also. They also use radiator hose in practice to protect the bikes (property of the State of Colorado!).

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I do tight turns and my handlebars are never hitting the stops. If you really are hitting the handlebar stops, you're not turning as tight as you could be. You should be leaning the bike.

If you could find some pictures of Wings doing tight turns, you would notice that the front wheel isn't turned that much. The bike is leaned.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I can't turn as tight as you guys. :oops: When I take the wheel to either lock position, my hand grips are buried in my thighs making steering impossible. I guess I'm going to have to resign myself to making turns in three parking spaces.

I have REG risers with my bars extended as far forward as possible and have Rattlebars' peg lowering set up installed. I'm just long any way you measure me.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
It is lot easier to practice when "the department" owns the bike. If you drop it, big deal, get back on, and keep working on your skills to get it right.
On your own bike, there is that fear of dropping it, any damage comes out of your pocket.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
My left urns against the stop are pretty good, but not the rights. :oops: Right handed people supposedly do better with left hand turns while south paws are better to the right. I always wondered why that is. :?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts