GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slow leak in my tire. I called a dealer and spoke with the service dept about plugging or repairing the tire. They said that they cannot fix the leak because the liability, due to the motorcycle having only two wheels. Has anyone ever heard of this kind of policy before?

Also, along the same lines. The stock TPMS symbol flashes on my display, alerting me of low tire pressure, but does not specify which tire is low. Is there a way to find out which tire is low through the display? Or do I just have to manually check each tire to determine which one is low?

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Not too much trouble to "manually" check tire pressure...
Have you/they checked to see where the leak is actually coming from?? I had the rear tire on my ST1300 slow leak ever since the tire shop mounted it and it was a rim leak. I took the wheel off once and returned it to them for repair and it still leaked. I think they damaged the rim when they installed it (story with that ordeal) and wouldn't own up to it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My dealership won't patch tires either. I know there are plenty of riders who patch tires and ride until the tread is gone. Personally, I'd replace the tire even if my dealer didn't have a no repair policy. $150 is cheap piece of mind to me.

I always check tire pressure before every ride.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Common reply/policy from most MC dealers. :crying:

Reactions: Retired60mech

·
Love The DCT
12,021 Posts
I have a slow leak in my tire. I called a dealer and spoke with the service dept about plugging or repairing the tire. They said that they cannot fix the leak because the liability, due to the motorcycle having only two wheels. Has anyone ever heard of this kind of policy before?

Also, along the same lines. The stock TPMS symbol flashes on my display, alerting me of low tire pressure, but does not specify which tire is low. Is there a way to find out which tire is low through the display? Or do I just have to manually check each tire to determine which one is low?
Dealers around me won't patch/plug a tire leak.

:doorag:

·
Registered
867 Posts

It DOES tell you which tire if you toggle through that particular screen. It's only 3 toggles. Well, actually 3 button pushes on the center console on the gas tank. "Select', "set" buttons in between the "info" button.

One tells you the front tire pressure. One tells you the rear tire pressure. And the 3'rd toggle/push tells you .....................how many miles are
left ( gas-wise ). I think it says "range" on the screen.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
The obvious, look for metal in your tire, nothing, then take soapy water and spray on valve stem, tighten if need be. Then apply soapy water around rim and entire tire until you find the leak.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Slow leaks can many times be attributed to the schrader valves.... deflate and squirt a little silicone spray lube in the stem and reinflate. I’ve fixed many a slow leakers this way. Then use good quality caps with rubber seals also.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Slow leaks can many times be attributed to the schrader valves.... deflate and squirt a little silicone spray lube in the stem and reinflate. I’ve fixed many a slow leakers this way. Then use good quality caps with rubber seals also.

This exact thing happened to me once. Easy Peasy fix!

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Never heard of a Dealer that will plug/patch a motorcycle tire.

If your not sure which tire is low, then check the front tire because its the easiest to check. If its low thats the one leaking. If its not, its the rear. :D

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
It DOES tell you which tire if you toggle through that particular screen. It's only 3 toggles. Well, actually 3 button pushes on the center console on the gas tank. "Select', "set" buttons in between the "info" button.

One tells you the front tire pressure. One tells you the rear tire pressure. And the 3'rd toggle/push tells you .....................how many miles are
left ( gas-wise ). I think it says "range" on the screen.

Huh? What year bike are you referring to? I have a 2015 Gl1800 level 3 and it doesn't do this as far as I can find.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also check the valves for splits and fit.
I had a tyre that only went flat when I was running it. Turned out the valve was moving and leaked when the wheel was turning.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
i have a slow leak in my tire. I called a dealer and spoke with the service dept about plugging or repairing the tire. They said that they cannot fix the leak because the liability, due to the motorcycle having only two wheels. Has anyone ever heard of this kind of policy before?

Also, along the same lines. The stock tpms symbol flashes on my display, alerting me of low tire pressure, but does not specify which tire is low. Is there a way to find out which tire is low through the display? Or do i just have to manually check each tire to determine which one is low?
don't think you can tell front or rear till you check manually . Also i would just replace tire especially if tire is 50% used. You can try a plug yourself but to have a good go at it you need to remove a valinize a patch from the inside. Still a motorcycle tire will expand and contract in the heat cycle a lot when heated up on a ride. It has to be a very small hole for a repair to be successful. Leaking tires on a motorcycle is a very bad thing if you get away with it once you are lucky.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The most mystifying slow leak I had was a brand new Metzler tire. Would lose a pound or so every few days. Checked everything, had the installing dealer check and no one could find a leak. Finally got mad, removed the wheel and immersed it in water. Took several minutes to form a bubble so I imagine the dealers were in too big a hurry to wait for it. If it’s leaking air it will show up under water......Eventually!
Turns out there was a piece of cord material imbedded in the rubber of the rim sealing area and it would allow air to permeate through very slowly.
The dealer replaced the tire.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
One of the most common, overlooked leaks, especially for M/C tires or any tire, is that the old rubber that sticks to the rim when replacing tires never gets cleaned off, making the sealing surface rough and uneven especially on alum or magnesium wheels. Or if the tire changer does not pay attention and nicks the rim with tire tools, mainly using improper tools or using tools improperly.

ALWAYS!!!! clean sealing lip on rims when changing M/C tires or at least check them when a tech is doing the job!! The life of your tire depends on it & you depend on the life of your tire.. Ride Safe...

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Fred Harmon showed a good way to clean the wheel at the tire bead seat was using a Scotchbrite pad and mineral spirits. Do this, and never use soap,windex,wd40 or other homebrew lubes while mounting. Get real tire lube. These two simple things and no worry of slow rim leaks.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Huh? What year bike are you referring to? I have a 2015 Gl1800 level 3 and it doesn't do this as far as I can find.
Did I miss something ?? Wouldn't be the first time. I'm referring to a 2018 or '19 Wing. If I missed that ( year of the bike ) in the original post, well.............I'll be a horse's twinkie !!

·
Registered
466 Posts
You haven’t even tried to add air. Bring both tires up to proper inflation. It should be clear which is lower than spec. I think it’s 36 front 41 rear from memory.

When you fill them, tighten both valve inserts.

While you’re down there, look for a screw. Screws are more often slow leakers than nails.

And look at your rims to see that they’re uniform.

This is not rocket science. If rims ok and no intrusion, and valves are tight, chances are that either a valve is defective, or the leak will stop.

If the tire is good and within date, most dealers will be willing to replace the valve stem assembly and R&R the tire.

If it were me and the tire were good, but 50% worn, if R&R with a new one and save the take off as a spare.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts

What year bike is it ?
How many miles on the leaky tire ?
I mount my own tires but had a new rear tire that was loosing a few pounds of air per day, was unable to tell where the leak was coming from without taking the wheel off so I aired it up to 50 pounds and rode it 10 miles to work one morning and 10 miles home that night, then lowered the air pressure back down to 41 psi, it never leaked again, I believe it probably had been leaking around the bead somewhere but the extra air pressure caused it to seal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts