GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed in the beginning of riding season that when starting the cranking was slower than it was before. I have the battery on a tender during winter but not all the time. I plug it in at about every three weeks, leave it on until i get the green and then disconnect it.
The bike is an 2002 with 49000mi. on it and the battery is the original one!
So im thinking the time is coming for a new one or will it last next season?:roll:

From the Land of Ice and Fire
Eagleman

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
It's probably time for a new battery.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Agree with Biker John. That battery is 9 years old. Last thing you'd want is to be out riding somewhere and have it leave you stranded.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Noticed in the beginning of riding season that when starting the cranking was slower than it was before. I have the battery on a tender during winter but not all the time. I plug it in at about every three weeks, leave it on until i get the green and then disconnect it.
So im thinking the time is coming for a new one or will it last next season?:roll:

Eagleman
I would say...its more then just OVER DUE...!

·
Vendor
18,390 Posts
Wow ... wish I could buy a 9yr battery. Here in FL lucky to get 3 yrs out of one. I replace mine every 3 years as PM unless they fail prior.

·
Registered
38 Posts
But DON'T dispose of that old battery...have it mounted! It's a trophy!

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
As others have said it's definitely time for a new one.

Depending on how long the Iceland fall season lasts, it might make sense to wait for spring...

(Just in case, it is possible to 'bump start' a GL1800)

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Way passed...

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Noticed in the beginning of riding season that when starting the cranking was slower than it was before.
... you've been warned...
take heed.

Dennis

G

·

Eagleman
Mine started cranking slightly slower and sure enough three years later it went dead :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Who knows when the battery was actually manufactured, it may be over 10 years old, could be some kind of record. Check the date. You might contact the manufacturer and tell them they can use your battery as an example of its longevity. In return they could provide you with a new battery. Couldn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Walmart sales a battery for the GL1800 made by one of the top 3 battery makers in the country.(research that if you like.... I have)
And you really honestly think your going to get something good at Wally World...AKA..Walmart. Ever heard of factory rejects...products that are not up to standards.... I have a bridge forsale...CHEAP...!

·
Registered
345 Posts

Eagleman

The reason your battery has lived for as long as it has is...due to you location...and the temps you have there. Heat is the biggest killer of ALL batteries...the acid is more active the warmer it is. My old Honda I had still had a great working battery, still had the OEM one...it was 7 years old and when I sold the bike it still had the factory OEM battery in it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys, i think it´s time yes.
I will change it out in the winter stop:cry:
The battery is a YUASA YTX20L-BS
I will definately go for the same type again. You know my friends have all changed theirs and we are talking up to ´07 model an down to an´01 So i must be the lucky one.:thumbup:

NOTE. It also says on the side of the battery: MADE IN THE USA. Do you think that has something to do with the durability? Do you know of batteries made in China or Taiwan lasting this long? I dont.

Or maybe it has nothing to do with it maybe im still just the lucky one.
Ride on Guys.

Eagleman

1 - 20 of 21 Posts