GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
15 year Member
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These "oil dampened" Doors on our beloved goldwing are a marvel of engenering.
Question: Are your door as crappy as mine or did I just get a bad set??? The door "oil dampering" system is about as dampining as a wet noodle in a rain storm... Is it just me??? How do yours work?

Thanks ,

MattILRed2002 :wink:

·
Registered
759 Posts
oil dampened???...your engine leaking oil?..lol. them there doors do suck. had both replaced already..and I dont even use them suckers.

G

·
I may be the only one that likes the small doors, they have several uses for me. I keep my tire pressure gauge and the intercom cord for my wife (when she's not with me) in one.
The other always has a bag of trail mix that my wife loves in it and a small tube of sunscreen. This leaves the left front pocket for my minidisk and garage door opener.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I LOVE those doors. I can assure you mine
are simply hanging on plastic hinges. I use
them all the time, but I am careful with them.
Years ago, before I had a Goldwing, I met a
man who had his 1500 doors taped shut. I inquired
as to why, and he informed my they were broken
for about the third time. I never forgot that, so
I was-am careful since day 1.

G

·
Oil dampened doors? The doors on the little storage pockets under my rear speakers are not oil dampened, and I don't know why I would want them to be. They just open freely on plain hinges and latch closed nicely. I bought the bike as a dealer demo with 2200 miles and if they were ever oil dampened they quit before I got the bike, and so I don't miss what I never had..or care about. They are just nice little storage pockets for misc "stuff".

·
Registered
84 Posts
Re: "The door "oil dampering" ..."

Re: "The door "oil dampering" system is about as dampining as a wet noodle in a rain storm... Is it just me? How do yours work?" ??? Mine work perfectly. There's a little trick to it though. If you want them "oil dampened", just put about six ounces of oil in each one! Then they'll be good and damp with oil. Be sure to use Amzoil though. It's the best product for that application. :lol:

Milt

·
Registered
267 Posts
Matt,

You are correct, they are dampened, or should I say they are supposed to be. I am not sure if they are oil dampened, but they are supposed to open slowly, kinda like the fairing side pockets, not just drop down on to the passenger grab rails like 99 out of a hundred do. I think this is regarded as a small issue to most therefore Honda continues to use this design year after year. If you check a new bke on the showroom floor I am willing to bet they operate just like yours do.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
You talking about these doors? I found a good use for the pocket!

I keep a acugauge in the right for checking my tyres, sometimes a pair of gloves, or a couple packs of smokes.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Quickdraw,
Is that passenger seat now one of those "lectric dhairs"? Power recliner? Magic fingers vibrators? Heated? Ejection?
Please explain!

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Quickdraw needs the phone back there......

uses it to call the Weather Service......

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I lined mine with aluminum foil so the radio waves dont get in there.

:wink:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Quickdraw needs the phone back there......

uses it to call the Weather Service......
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Harry,I am looking forward to meeting you.

·
Registered
759 Posts
well..if quickdraw uses it to phone the weather service...its obvious his phone doesnt work... :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
rottendog said:
Quickdraw,
Is that passenger seat now one of those "lectric dhairs"? Power recliner? Magic fingers vibrators? Heated? Ejection?
Please explain!
NO PHONES on my motorcycles!
I use the bike to get away from the [email protected] phones!

Really, those are my auxiliary fuse blocks. When I went looking for a good place to put extra fuses I found that I didn't like, nor really have much room by the battery, and there is no room under the plastic any where. Honda has mass-centralization down to a science on this scooter and it is just packed tighter than anything else I've ever modified. Now, with just one extra wire to the battery, that area is nice and clean. I ran a ground wire from the engine ground (terminal #19, 21??) on the right side to a ground block under the seat.
photo at: http://home.comcast.net/~ridetolive1/ws ... 10454.html

·
Registered
263 Posts
there made cheep and are crappy so be careful with them. I keep my cell phone charger in one and my Kiry alarm thinky for the disk lock in there too.

·
Registered
229 Posts
:idea: ...... :oops: ........ :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts