GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the steed up on jackstands last week, (by the way thanks for all of your help on jacking), while under the thing doing a visual check, I noticed that there was 90w oil, not a lot but more than you would expect. it was especially wet around the vent for the rear end (which is located on the left side axle housing)... anyone got any ideas about what would cause oil to vent out of that hole?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Mine was an O-Ring in the gearbox.. Warranty item, they even replaced the brake pads..

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
cjmitch said:
So an O ring in the gearbox caused oil to vent out of the axle vent
You're refering to the rear gearbox and the "vent" that looks like a 1/4" roll pin out the bottom of the housing?? Or the vent on the top of the gearbox that looks like a cap.. There is no "axle" persay and nothing on the left side of the gearbox that I remember off the top of my head.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PunkinWing said:
cjmitch said:
So an O ring in the gearbox caused oil to vent out of the axle vent
You're refering to the rear gearbox and the "vent" that looks like a 1/4" roll pin out the bottom of the housing?? Or the vent on the top of the gearbox that looks like a cap.. There is no "axle" persay and nothing on the left side of the gearbox that I remember off the top of my head.
If your facing the pumpkin from the rear, you look at the axle on the left.
Now about 5 inches fro mthe pumpkin in the top is a little cap...
Pictures to follow as soon as I get home

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Oh... That is the breather... Had me confused because as you are sitting on the bike, the gearbox (final drive) and drive shaft is on the right, the wheel mounts from the left..

The issue I (and others) have had was weeping through the little thing on the bottom of the pumpkin that looks like a roll pin sticking out, I've never seen leakage out the top breather cap..

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... drive+leak
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=12232
http://www.ridersrally.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Carl,
Call John, or Richard at MT to get the low down. It may be normal. I have a small marking of oil covered in dirt and dust but not wet.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Clean it up with a rug and keep a eye on it, it's a vent, cars have had them for over fifty years, as long as it's not dripping oil on the floor and it can't because of the way it's made, unless you park it upside down, then it migtht leak oil out.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
cjmitch said:
I put the steed up on jackstands last week, (by the way thanks for all of your help on jacking), while under the thing doing a visual check, I noticed that there was 90w oil, not a lot but more than you would expect. it was especially wet around the vent for the rear end (which is located on the left side axle housing)... anyone got any ideas about what would cause oil to vent out of that hole?
Maybe it's overfilled. Put on level ground and open the filler plug, let excess drip out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts