GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be parking my wing in a covered trailer , sort of like a portable garage , folding the antenna is a pain , looking for a shorter or rubber antenna , any suggestions

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
I have the shorty one that our old board sponsor sells..
.. Very slight difference in reception but I don't listen to the radio much anyway.
.. It's about 20 inches and still folds like the OEM.

Some have just taken a hack saw to the OEM..
.. Works just as well

Dennis

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have the shorty one that our old board sponsor sells..
.. Very slight difference in reception but I don't listen to the radio much anyway.
.. It's about 20 inches and still folds like the OEM.

Some have just taken a hack saw to the OEM..
.. Works just as well

Dennis
Where can I get one of these shorty ones? Old oard sponsor???

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Sierra Electronics makes one.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Where can I get one of these shorty ones? Old oard sponsor???
Old sponsor was "Direct Line Parts"..
..I don't see it listed anymore but I'll keep looking

Dennis

·
Registered
660 Posts
I park my M/C in a trailor and I find putting the antennas down is not a problam. My problam is remembering to put them down.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Cut yours to the desired length and put a vacuum cap on it. Just an option.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Has anyone mounted up a power antenna? I see ebay has "mini" ones that only take about 8 1/2" which should fit in the side bag pretty well.. hmmm

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Im going to be parking my wing in a covered trailer , sort ofhave like a portable garage , folding the antenna is a pain , looking for a shorter or rubber antenna , any suggestions
I have a shorty, just laying on the shelf. I won't be back home until the middle of this month. If you're still interested, we can talk when I get home.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Some nice options listed so far for radio only. If you will or might be getting a CB......

Due to a low overhead garage, I got the Sierra Electronics Solo (combined radio & CB in a single antenna) in a 2' length. The science says: FM will be OK & AM a bit worse off than a radio antenna of same length. CB receive will be fine and transmit better than a second, separate CB antenna of same length (due to the radio antenna impairing the CB propagation). My unscientific personal experience is consistent with that.

Any short antenna will impair your CB transmit, so having the solo was important to me to not lose any more performance. I'm happy with it.

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
I cut mine down to 16". Used a rubber tip off of a ink pen on the end.

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
905 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
I know several people who bought Harley antenna's and had the end made with the Goldwing threads and they work great. If I can I will get a picture of one of them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts