GL1800Riders Forums banner

Smart fob stays on if left in garage

2K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  gkarasik 
#1 ·
So I am getting sick of needing the fob to get into the bikes trunk or bags if I'm in the house and not leaving. I remember reading a thread about the fob battery and someone saying it didn't consume the battery if left near the bike.
Here is the weird thing. The tool box is 3ft from the bike. I put it in a drawer in the top cabinet yesterday after deciding to just keep it in there. Went to garage today and light (on ignition dial) was on from yesterday.
So I tried putting it on top of the box exposed and unhidden. It went off after the usual time it takes. I tried putting it in the drawer again and light stays on. I let it sit for several minutes.
Is this an issue with the fob being blocked by the metal in the tool box causing it to turn off or something?. This was really weird to me cause it was almost the same exact distance whether it was in the drawer or on top of the tool box. Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well,
I have a cup holder on the bike and, when we're not riding and the bike is in the garage, I keep the fob in the cup holder so I don't misplace it. I've been known to do that every now and then, LIKE HOURLY! Soooo, I just keep it in the cup holder. As for the little ring-light remaining on, nope, I just went out and checked and it's off. And that fob's been in there since yesterday morning sometime when the wife and I got back from a breakfast ride.

Some say the fob will continue to "talk" to the bike in a situation like mine but, so far, in the 6 months or so that we've owned that bike and keep the fob in the cup holder when not being ridden, I've had zero problems with that fob or the bike.
Scott

#3 ·
Most likely the RF (Radio Frequency) communications between the FOB and the bike are being interrupted by the metal tool box. It is probably blocking just enough signal so the bike is repeatedly picking up the FOB and dropping the connection. My guess is that is why the "light is staying on".

You can prove this to yourself about the metal blocking the signal. Take the FOB into the house, turn it on and wrap it in aluminum foil. Take it out to the bike and the metal foil will block the RF signal, you won't be able to open the sidebars.

Just find some other storage place for your FOB other than inside the metal cabinet. I leave mine in the top storage compartment along with my sunglasses and earphones.

From the manual (page 57):

Font Terrestrial plant Document Number Circle

#13 ·
"You don't mention what year bike you have. You are posting in the 2018+ section. Is that what you are referring to? If so, I wasn't aware you could do that."

"First time I've read it also"

You two should delve into the operator's manual. It might be a revelation.

By the way: is it possible to "turn off" a key fob from a pre-2018 GL1800? I couldn't with the one on my 2004.

#20 ·
You two should delve into the operator's manual. It might be a revelation.
Okay, I've read the manual. I don't were this is very useful. 30 seconds!

Page 142
Using the remote transmitter To allow a person who does not possess the Honda SMART Key to open compartments, press the UNLOCK button on the Honda SMART Key (Turn signals blink 2 times). When the UNLOCK button is pressed, the compartments can be opened by someone who does not have the Honda SMART Key. If you press the UNLOCK button, but nobody opens any of the compartments within about 30 seconds or about 30 seconds have passed after an opened compartment is closed, the compartments automatically will relock (Turn signals blink once)

#14 ·
Here is the weird thing. The tool box is 3ft from the bike. I put it in a drawer in the top cabinet yesterday after deciding to just keep it in there. Went to garage today and light (on ignition dial) was on from yesterday.
To answer the original question, I have noticed the same thing. Normally, the ignition ring will illuminate as you approach the bike then go off after a minute. That's assuming the fob stays close enough to start the bike or open the luggage.

However, if the fob is say 15ft away, the ignition ring stays on permanently. I can only assume this is because it's a borderline distance. The bike detects the fob (lighting the ring) then loses connection, then it detects it again resetting the light timer before the light turns off. Cycle continues.

The light is there so you can find the ignition knob in the dark as you first approach the bike. The same circuit operates the optional puddle/entry lights.

I'd either move the fob even further away, keep it much closer, or turn it off as others suggested.

#15 ·
Hmm. The 15ft thing is weird. I thought about keeping it in the unlocked cubby. But then with my memory I'll forget and it'll be there all the time. Help yourself thieves. Being a 2018 and only having one fob, I bought an extra one. That is the only one I turn off. I guess I'll change my location. Thanks for all the replies

#34 ·
The RF (Radio Frequency) communication between the FOB and the bike is bi-directional (both ways).

The FOB has a digital ID and the bike has a digital ID. During the registration process they exchange IDs, so the FOB only stores the single ID of the bike it is registered to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.