GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having new tires put on tomorrow, and my dealer got me the "Smart Tire" and is going to band the sensors on for me while installing the tires.

I'm going to mount the read-out myself. I'd like to see the different ideas on where ya'll have mounted it, and where you picked up power for it.

Thanks for the help, and any other input on this project that you might want to mention.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
smartire display

I have mine stuck with velcro to the center dash just above the digital display. It blocks the lights in the lower part of the speedo, but if I sit up straight I can check them.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Re: smartire display

mrbill21 said:
I have mine stuck with velcro to the center dash just above the digital display. It blocks the lights in the lower part of the speedo, but if I sit up straight I can check them.
Same here. Drilled a hole in the panel for the wire and picked up power from the left pocket. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably mount it under the dash visor in the center....just above the speedo.

do a search on the board for smartire and you'll have plenty of reading to do.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Sqweezed the wire between speedo clear lense and cover panel, used velcro to stick top of speedo base. Partially blocks the red idiot light, but do you really want to see that! :shock:

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I used sticky tape to mount it under the center of the black 'dash cover'. To do so I had to cut out a notch for the wires on the instrument cover.

The warning lights are not very bright and you'll want it where it will be very visible. I considered one of the other areas but decided that the unit may not grab my attention unless it was always in my field of vision.

·
Registered
887 Posts
John in YVR said:
I used sticky tape to mount it under the center of the black 'dash cover'. To do so I had to cut out a notch for the wires on the instrument cover.

The warning lights are not very bright and you'll want it where it will be very visible. I considered one of the other areas but decided that the unit may not grab my attention unless it was always in my field of vision.
John - Can you post a picture? It sounds like you mounted yours where I wish i would have mounted mine. I may put a color matched meter panel on this summer and then I would consider moving it.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
smart tire

I have it and it is kinda awkward. The best install of the controller I have seen is by Fred H. I followed his model. You might want to look it over. Almost looks factory. Be that as it may I cannot say enough good things about this product. It should be standard on every vehicle, cage or bike and if you don't have one, you really owe it to yourself to get it. It works.

·
Registered
887 Posts
John in YVR said:
WNGNUT said:
John - Can you post a picture?
As you requested:
Thanks John!! ROFL...that's not exactly what I expected. Maybe another one when you get it put back together? I would ask you what you're doing to your bike but I don't want to hi-jack the thread so I won't ask.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great responses. I've seen Freds pics, and a friend of mine has his mounted in the panel under the right fairing storage bin.

I was thinking of the dash as the picture above shows- so I'm glad to see someone else did that.

I've also wondered what's under the black area just above the stereo (under the 30th aniversary emblem on the '05's). It looks pretty solid, so I'm guessing there is something solid under there - does anyone know?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Smartire Locations

Well...

I have one Smartire monitor on the right side of the dash between the windshield and the dash cover.

I have the second Smartire monitor just about in the middle of the windshield just left of the vent.

? Any questions... :)

John

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
It's easy: N+1 redundancy...

Plus, installing two sensors in each wheel means that no counterweights are required.

Here's where I mounted Sheila's Smartire display:

It took a little bit of customizing, but it's all integrated.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Re: Smartire Locations

blizardj said:
Well...

? Any questions... :)

UMmmm... Yeah! Why 2???

... nevermind, I posted slow...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
jon,

Thinking about your counterweight theory... It may lessen the effect, but wouldn;t the ballance still be somewhat off with the clamp screw asswmbly and the tire-valve bridge? or did you do some magic there too?

(too expensive for me to buy two!!! (weights are cheap!)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
smart tire

Jon
With two, are you running one display or two similtaniously?
I think I need one of those rigs you build for Sheila. Very cool, ultra great install ----as always.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Why two monitors?

The short version.

I've been having issues with the system locking up. So Smartire was kind enough to send me a second receiver for troubleshooting.

What's happening is after about 15 to 20 min. I can no longer recall the tire pressures or temps. The button just stops functioning. Usually after about another 10 to 20 min. it unlocks and becomes usable again.

I've had the second receiver for over a month and we're just about finished. Without resolution I might add. I run both receivers simultaneous. I think I'm the only person who can boast Stereo tire pressures... :D

I have moved the receivers all over the bike, to include the rear cubby hole. I've added power filters. I've turned off, cruise control, removed XM radio. We're going on the assumption that EMI is causing the problem. The only thing I have not done, that I can think of, is pull the ABS fuse. We know that ABS gives EMI. You with CBs know this. But I have to draw the line somewhere. If it is the ABS, I will not permanently disable that anyway.

So, if any of you have any suggestions before I send the loaner back...

I have a feeling that other Goldwingers may be having the same problem but don't know it because no one pushes that stupid button as often as I do. Sometimes I hate being so anal... :)

John

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Why two monitors?

blizardj said:
The short version.

I've been having issues with the system locking up. So Smartire was kind enough to send me a second receiver for troubleshooting.

What's happening is after about 15 to 20 min. I can no longer recall the tire pressures or temps. The button just stops functioning. Usually after about another 10 to 20 min. it unlocks and becomes usable again.

I've had the second receiver for over a month and we're just about finished. Without resolution I might add. I run both receivers simultaneous. I think I'm the only person who can boast Stereo tire pressures... :D

I have moved the receivers all over the bike, to include the rear cubby hole. I've added power filters. I've turned off, cruise control, removed XM radio. We're going on the assumption that EMI is causing the problem. The only thing I have not done, that I can think of, is pull the ABS fuse. We know that ABS gives EMI. You with CBs know this. But I have to draw the line somewhere. If it is the ABS, I will not permanently disable that anyway.

So, if any of you have any suggestions before I send the loaner back...

I have a feeling that other Goldwingers may be having the same problem but don't know it because no one pushes that stupid button as often as I do. Sometimes I hate being so anal... :)

John
Well, I've been bragging that this is one mod that every single person who has done it is elated with it - now I read this. And my bike is ABS.

On the other hand, a good friend that I ride with has it, and his bike is ABS. He says his works perfectly.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I hope to have mine functional this weekend.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts