GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was going thru some previously unwatched sections of Fred's DVDs and came across the chapter for installing a SmartTire tire pressure monitoring system. About a year ago an acquaintance of mine had a near fatal accident that we suspect was caused by a flat tire. I've always been concerned about such a mishap, and much more so now after his accident.

Anyone besides Fred have one of these systems installed? Do you feel it's worth the money, does it provides accurate pressure readings, and has it saved anyone's behind by warning of a dangerous tire situation. Vulcantire.com has the best price I've been able to find - $189. Anyone know of a cheaper place?

Thanks.

later edit...should have done a search. There are several existing threads on this topic. Sorry

·
Registered
230 Posts
Smartire System

I have the Smartire System for the same reason...Safety..You have to be careful when changing the tire or you will damage the sensor.Don't ask me how I know.I now have a commercial tire machine that I bought new from Greg Smith Equipment for $1100.00 and I love it .The Mount/Dismount head never touches the rim and I can control the mounting so as not to damage the sensor.The only thing I would change on the Smartire is, I would have the display toggle between pressure and temp by it self.You have to push a button to see dispay.Of course it will alarm if pressure goes to high or too low and the temp when it goes too high.....Hope this helps.....Jim

·
Registered
230 Posts
Smartire System

Oh, Bye the way Vulcan tire is where I purchased mine.I have never even seen it anywhere else...Jim

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have had the smartire now for over a year. I would buy it again in a heart beat. I developed a leak on a recent trip while riding and the unit alerted me in plenty of time to pull over.

Jim - Which tire changer model did you purchase from Greg Smith Equipment ?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
papa benny said:
Not to hijack this thread but were you ever on Saturday Night Live?????
I had to go back and look at the name to figure out why you asked.... There's a blast from the past!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
papa benny said:
Not to hijack this thread but were you ever on Saturday Night Live?????
not many people "get it". This isn't my real name, it's my way of paying tribute to Akroyd's character - one of my favorite SNL skits of all time.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'm gumbie dambit!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts