GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use this. I am having a problem with flat tires. Thankfully they have not been a problem while on the road. I would like your thoughts on this device. Is it worth the money? Where is the best place to get one?

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you like to know your tire pressure and temperature while riding and would like to see an alarm if you start to loose air while riding,then this is the product for you.Is it necessary, No but it is another safety item and in my opinion,you can't have too many......Jim

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Smart Tire sounds like a great idea.
It is such a PIA to lay down every morning to check the pressure.
Now........
If I could just get the freaking money tree to grow...................

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I got one recently and like it a lot - great piece of mind and easy to keep track of pressures to get good tire wear/life.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
With only two wheels, and long riding days, this is cheap insurance. ONLY good for a slow leaker, not blow outs LOL. Rather get the warning over lost control. Claims are, once a tire gets below 20 psi, it can become uncontrollable. Extra care must be used when changing tires. My original sensor set was dead on. Broke one changing tires, and a replacement is always about 4 lbs higher. Still a relative referance, and will alarm when needed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
smartire

The smartire system is great, the only problem I have had is , the first sensor went bad in less than 1 year, was replaced, the 2nd one went bad and quit transmitting at 2 years. Their warranty in the US is 1 year, in Europe it is 2 yrs, don't know why that would be. With this system I know what my tire pressure is just about the time I get to the end of the driveway, if something is wrong I can turn around. Going on a trip I always lay on the ground and check pressure and tire condition before leaving. mdh

·
Registered
786 Posts
R.K. MA.3 George said:
Smart Tire sounds like a great idea.
It is such a PIA to lay down every morning to check the pressure.
Now........
If I could just get the freaking money tree to grow...................
The wheels have to be turning (6mph?) before the sensor transmits the pressure info.

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
Another great product that I'm very pleased with. Well worth the cost.
Many high end vehicles have tire monitoring systems as standard equipment.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Maltese, check out Fred's site. He gives a good review on the Smart Tire and while you are at it, if you have not done so already, give some thought to Fred's videos as well. Great stuff on them.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/smartire

·
Registered
165 Posts
Before I got the smart tire system it seemed to me that most of the time I had to add air because I lost so much trying to get the tire gage seated right on the valve stem. Now by the time I get to the first stop sign I know if I need to put air in or not and usually I can go seven to ten days before I even show a pound down.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I love the concept, but I don't care for the SmarTire application.

Sensors should be valve mounted (like cars) to prevent damage when changing tires.
Pressure display should be larger and the sequence (pressure / temp) should be slower.

I expect Honda will add a tire monitoring system eventually.

S

·
0 Posts
I'm really surprised - in 40 years and I have yet to have a flat - ( knock on wood )

I must live right or something - I would think anything that makes one aware of low air preasure would be a good idea though.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
There is good in this idea - pressure is shown going down the road, tire temp is shown, the plus side.

A couple of things come to mind - they have a failure rate, they are expensive, but they do not replace getting down on the ground in the dirt and rolling a tire around to see if there is any visible problem. And, on a bike, that is important.

No different than an oil gauge being a replacement for oil changes, or a temperature gauge being a replacement for a coolant check. But a good aid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts