GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After spending well over a couple hundred dollars (over probably 8years)on trying to find the best mount for my smartphone and a couple thousand on replacing the phones the high dollar mounts allowed to become bouncing blips in my rear view mirror, I have discovered what is the simplest, most inexpensive and secure mount I have yet to use.

It is a mount used by camera buffs to mount their phones on a tripod. (Under $5 on eBay.). I mated this with a 1”- 1/4” threaded ram ball and used the ram mounts I already had installed.

The thing that makes this mount work is the thumbscrew and very effective ribbed rubber pads that hold the phone very securely with about one turn on the screw. (No messing with the rubber band/corner holder that is absolutely necessary with the Ram-Xgrip and other high dollar mounts.)

There are several variations of this type of mount, the one I like second best is a Ulanzi brand all metal, but it has only one threaded hole and it is in the end of the mount which requires a landscape orientation. I prefer the one I currently use because it has the option of mounting it from the back (portrait) or from the end (landscape). If you prefer landscape, the Ulanzi is a bit more $, but heartier. The one I am currently using has been on the bike now for over 50k miles and has not yet even offered to slip or disconnect(I started with a fishing line leader safety tether in case the construction wasn’t dependable) that would be your call....

Don’t know the proper or allowable links but a mod can correct or delete if necessary.

Here’s a pic or two to help with the “build”. The mount is held by a 1/4” male threaded Ram ball. The first gen build included a 12” metal fishing leader with both ends looped onto the threaded screw in the mount and wrapped around the bike mounted ball. I used a 1/4” female Ram ball and drilled a hole in the top of my brake MC cover and used a flat headed screw in from the bottom( head between the rubber gasket and the cap) I liked this location better than the clamp screw mounted Ram ball.

The mount ordered from China can be had for under $4 or you can order from the US in the $8-9 range.

Hope this helps somebody from losing a phone from your high dollar mount!

:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was cruising down the interstate last week and felt something land in my crotch. :surprise:
I can't see down there with my full-face helmet, but I reach down and it's my phone. Good save.
Confidence in the RAM mount is gone.
Where do I get one of these things? :wink2:

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With all due respect Ram X-mount is IMHO the worst mount a bunch of money can buy. eBay is your friend. I you need to, you can PM me and I’ll give you a bit more precise info on the resources. This thing is slick!

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was cruising down the interstate last week and felt something land in my crotch. :surprise:
I can't see down there with my full-face helmet, but I reach down and it's my phone. Good save.
Confidence in the RAM mount is gone.
Where do I get one of these things? :wink2:
Horrid moment to watch the total destruction of a $500 cell phone as an 18 wheeler hits it with every axle. I was within 10 feet of rescuing that one... truck driver saw me running back and thought he should move over, right onto the phone! AAAAARRRGGGGHHH!

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
Does the thumbscrew have any sort of ratcheting to keep vibrations from backing off the tension applied to the phone?

Hmmm...interesting application.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the thumbscrew have any sort of ratcheting to keep vibrations from backing off the tension applied to the phone?

Hmmm...interesting application.
It does not, but it has never backed off even a little...

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
99 Posts
How did your ram x mount fail? Did the rubber feet come off the metal supports? Ram ships crazy glue with the mount now to glue those on permanently. I don't use the strap and have not glued the feet but I'm thinking I should after seeing this post.

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,840 Posts

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
Initially, RAM did NOT include the tether with the X-mount. I bought the original, and also one for a larger cell phone, neither at the time had the tether.

When my phone hit the pavement (it was undamaged, since it happened at a fairly slow speed after hitting rough pavement in the middle of an intersection), I purchased a tether from eBay that's red. Makes it a good visual indication at a glance that the tether is attached.

Additionally, RAM didn't glue the posts to the mount. When you buy the replacement tips, you do get the adhesive. On my last trip, I lost one of the tips & had to fabricate a replacement.

I'll write that story up shortly.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I use the RAM mounts. I have spit out my phone once or twice on washboard roads. The phone was saved by the charging cord I have routed up to the phone.

I tried the rubber band thingy but didn’t like it.

I put a strip of Velcro hooks on the center of the RAM mount and put the Velcro loop stuff on the back of my phone. Works perfect. It’s the light weight stuff that comes on a roll in most hardware stores. Never had a issue since.

I did the same thing on my wife’s Harley trike. Her phone is bigger and heavier than mine and her bike of coarse shakes more. No issue whatsoever.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
I wore out 2 of the RAM rubber web-thingies and figured I didn't really need them. Wrong.
And no, the rubber tips are not glued to the posts but that is not why my phone fell out. I will however glue them down now.
I want the thing revrunt has, but the eBay listings are gone.

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,840 Posts
Do you know if this will fit an iPhone X? In it's Otter box case, it is 3 1/4 X 6 1/8 (3/16, maybe). TIA

If you are talking about my setup..... I use it with an Iphone 6S plus in an Otter Box.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How did your ram x mount fail? Did the rubber feet come off the metal supports? Ram ships crazy glue with the mount now to glue those on permanently. I don't use the strap and have not glued the feet but I'm thinking I should after seeing this post.
One was before the rubber was a supplied addition, and the phone bounced out when I hit a raised expansion joint on a bridge. Second one was not getting one corner tight in the rubber strap and it worked it’s way out... probably my bad. Still hated having to mess with all four corners of the strap every time I stop and want to go inside. This one is SOOO simple and quick.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you know if this will fit an iPhone X? In it's Otter box case, it is 3 1/4 X 6 1/8 (3/16, maybe). TIA
Yes it will fit...

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
My mount arrived today, instead of next Tuesday as predicted. Nice little surprise. It is well made and seems like it wold hold the phone very secure. Can't wait to get home and rummage my RAM parts box so I can get it mounted.

revrunt- Thanks again for posting this!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts