GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Great idea! I just ordered one from Amazon. I've never felt confident with the X-mount even though I've never had a problem. I also never liked the way it swivels left/right when mounted.

Glad I found this.

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
455 Posts
Change of heart. I had a RAM X-Grip on my V-Star, daily commuting, long distances, big bumps, never a problem.
I moved the exact same X-Grip to my new Goldwing, hit a bump yesterday I've gone over a thousand times, and the phone popped out. Fortunately the charging cable held and it didn't leave the bike.
Not sure what the difference was. On my V-Star the mount was more leaning back, on the Wing it was more upright. On the V-Star the phone was oriented vertically, on the Wing it was horizontally oriented.

I'm wondering if the more upright mounting transferred more shock to the arms, and the horizontal orientation allowed the arms to give more. If the phone is upright, the arms hold on the sides so there's no force bump trying to move the arms (vertical force is not transferred to the arms). Whereas if the phone is oriented vertically the arms are on the top and bottom, so vertical bump force is trying to push the arms down (which causes them to give).

I'll be experimenting.

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lost my Garmin 395 the same way. Must have had it improperly installed. $550 CDN plus 13% tax. No one to blame but me. I had thought about buying the locking mount and decided it was not worth the extra cash. Didn't cry but was bummed out for a couple of days. Now, do I bite the bullet and replace it or live without?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you and great write up! I was searching for a set up to mount my iphone6 +. I'm going with the Ulanzi because the otterbox makes my phone huge.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank you and great write up! I was searching for a set up to mount my iphone6 +. I'm going with the Ulanzi because the otterbox makes my phone huge.
You’re welcome! Just wanted to say welcome to the board! Let us know how the mount works out for you...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
885 Posts
I’ve used a knockoff X mount from eBay for a couple years now and my phone has never fell out. I have hit some spine shattering bumps but the phone has always stayed put. I think the phones that have fell out are not properly secured to begin with. I do not use the rubber net thingy around my phone, just make sure the phone is equally mounted on all four corners. With the OP’s setup I’d be afraid the phone would be more apt to fall through!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Another brand of the OP mount style is RetiCAM Smartphone Tripod mount with the XL Conversion kit. I've been pretty pleased with it so far.

Reactions: Skunkworx

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
RAM X mount

With all due respect Ram X-mount is IMHO the worst mount a bunch of money can buy. eBay is your friend. I you need to, you can PM me and I’ll give you a bit more precise info on the resources. This thing is slick!

I have the rubber web behind my X mount and my phone has never even wiggled when strapped in with the web. OTOH, I have had it bounce into my lap twice when I did not secure it properly. It was saved by the power cord. I also tend to use large phones like the Samsung Note.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You’re welcome! Just wanted to say welcome to the board! Let us know how the mount works out for you...

Thank you. I'm going to post in the intro thread. I just haven't had the time to take pics of the wing to add to it.
I'm getting the parts tomorrow. I'll post pics in your thread after I put it together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I received the parts today. The Ulanzi barely opens up wide enough for the iphone 6+ with the defender otterbox case. I actually opened it too wide and it came apart BUT it does fit. The Ulanzi is pretty heavy duty and will do the job. Here are the pics. I still need to figure what position i want it in and not to interfere with my mirror.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Another brand of the OP mount style is RetiCAM Smartphone Tripod mount with the XL Conversion kit. I've been pretty pleased with it so far.
Mind posting a pic? Always looking for improvements and tweaks!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have the rubber web behind my X mount and my phone has never even wiggled when strapped in with the web. OTOH, I have had it bounce into my lap twice when I did not secure it properly. It was saved by the power cord. I also tend to use large phones like the Samsung Note.
My other issue with the web-thingy is that one in/out cycle requires both hands to do about 10 things (phone in/out, 4 web corners to be secured x 2). My mount can be done quickly and securely with one hand x 4 actions per in/out cycle (phone in, screw tight/ screw loose, phone out).

My x mount gave up a brand new i6 (out of complete laziness of missing a corner). Yes, to be fair it was not completely the mounts fault, but then, the web is a pain(not my fault) that requires complete hookup.

Thanks for the feedback! Also, glad to be hearing from guys with larger phones and what works for them...

Reactions: networkguy3

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have the Kuryakyn Tech connect device holder. It has a side tensioner on each side and holds at the bottom edge of my phone. They make it in a standard holder or a large device holder and they both bolt onto either the clutch reservoir screws or on the right side to the brake reservoir screws. I have a Motorola Turbo with a Defender case and it just fir into the standard device holder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I simply used a waist mounted phone holder that comes with your phone & removed the spring revolving clip on back and then bought some industrial strength Velcro from local hardware store, they sell it by the ft. which is cheaper than buying a roll and then fastening holder to center glove box on 2013 Wing, problem solved for me and I have hit some serious bumps.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I, too, got tired of the RAM X-Grip. The extra spider web thing is pretty secure, but a HUGE hassle. The X- by itself was letting too many people down and I figured I'd dump it before it dumped my phone.

My solution was to take the belt holster case that I was never using and jam a RAM ball onto it. I used the diamond base and could attach it with one bolt and one zip-tie-in-lieu-of-bolt to the belt clip. It is purpose built for my Otterbox Defender case, super easy to clip in and out of, and feels darn secure -- has anyone ever heard of a phone leaping out of its holster like that, vs. the holster leaping off a belt? I've been using it for a year or so with no issues.

I dummy corded the whole thing to my RAM arm in case my zip tie hack failed, but it has been rock solid. I added the stylus a little later. It works much better than the touchscreen-friendly (but not THAT friendly) gloves I've got.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
thanks Revrunt

Many thanks to revrunt for posting this phone holder, especially the photos.

I put it together today and I'm very pleased with it.

BTW Hope you get out to Rockies Gold and I get to meet and thank you in person.

Rich

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Many thanks to revrunt for posting this phone holder, especially the photos.

I put it together today and I'm very pleased with it.

BTW Hope you get out to Rockies Gold and I get to meet and thank you in person.

Rich
Thanks, Rich! Always glad to have helped.. there is a new thread that includes some new developments, as I’m always looking for the better idea!!

The heart of the new is the Ulanzi ST02 which is a phenomenal improvement even over this one...

I do hope to see my way clear to get to RG this year, and look forward to seeing you there!

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
ordered mine :wink2::smile2:

·
Registered
323 Posts
After spending well over a couple hundred dollars (over probably 8years)on trying to find the best mount for my smartphone and a couple thousand on replacing the phones the high dollar mounts allowed to become bouncing blips in my rear view mirror, I have discovered what is the simplest, most inexpensive and secure mount I have yet to use.

It is a mount used by camera buffs to mount their phones on a tripod. (Under $5 on eBay.). I mated this with a 1”- 1/4” threaded ram ball and used the ram mounts I already had installed.

The thing that makes this mount work is the thumbscrew and very effective ribbed rubber pads that hold the phone very securely with about one turn on the screw. (No messing with the rubber band/corner holder that is absolutely necessary with the Ram-Xgrip and other high dollar mounts.)

There are several variations of this type of mount, the one I like second best is a Ulanzi brand all metal, but it has only one threaded hole and it is in the end of the mount which requires a landscape orientation. I prefer the one I currently use because it has the option of mounting it from the back (portrait) or from the end (landscape). If you prefer landscape, the Ulanzi is a bit more $, but heartier. The one I am currently using has been on the bike now for over 50k miles and has not yet even offered to slip or disconnect(I started with a fishing line leader safety tether in case the construction wasn’t dependable) that would be your call....

Don’t know the proper or allowable links but a mod can correct or delete if necessary.

Here’s a pic or two to help with the “build”. The mount is held by a 1/4” male threaded Ram ball. The first gen build included a 12” metal fishing leader with both ends looped onto the threaded screw in the mount and wrapped around the bike mounted ball. I used a 1/4” female Ram ball and drilled a hole in the top of my brake MC cover and used a flat headed screw in from the bottom( head between the rubber gasket and the cap) I liked this location better than the clamp screw mounted Ram ball.

The mount ordered from China can be had for under $4 or you can order from the US in the $8-9 range.

Hope this helps somebody from losing a phone from your high dollar mount!

I bought one of these mounts. Used it a few times and it seemed to hold well. Next time I went to tighten my phone in the piece that has the threaded hole broke in half and my phone fell on the ground. Luckily I was still parked when it happened. If I had been on the highway my phone would have been gone.

I just purchased a Perfect Squeeze from Hondos Garage. Have not used it yet but it seems very well made.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts