GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks for sharing your negative experience... I seriously want to help people get the best mount for their phone for the money. This is NO LONGER my suggested mount. The Ulanzi ST02 is above and beyond the best mount for the money I’ve found...

More info here...

Sorry if the mount wasn’t useful...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks for sharing your negative experience... I seriously want to help people get the best mount for their phone for the money. This is NO LONGER my suggested mount. The Ulanzi ST02 is above and beyond the best mount for the money I’ve found...

More info here...

Sorry if the mount wasn’t useful...

:thumbup:
No worries. I knew when I bought it that any phone mount has a risk to it. I would never blame you for the mount failing. You are just trying to help members save money. And I like to save money so I tried it. The Ulanzi ST02 looks like a great deal.

I am now trying the Perfect Squeeze mount with low profile clamp on my Grand America. It is not cheap but does seem well made and does mount to my bars the way I want. Time will tell if it is worth it.

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
if you are talking about my setup..... I use it with an iphone 6s plus in an otter box.
that what i use / got also. Still will use magnet mount when going to do pics while riding

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well I installed my Ulanzi. I like it. Has a quality feel to it.

I will circle back with a review after I've put a few miles on it.

Thanks for the idea.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
I am extremely happy with the Scosche Terra Grip.
https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-PSM11011-TerraClamp-MagicMount-Motorcycles/dp/B07CYD3HH5
It works well on both the Wing and the Multistrada.

I gave up on the X-Grip, and two other mounts before that. You had to use BOTH the arms and the rubber straps. And the arms kept hitting the power or volume buttons, and the rubber straps interfered with swiping. And it took both hands to insert or remove.

The Scosche magnetic mount holds the phone in place, so you connect or release the rubber straps one handed. And they are low profile, so you can still read the screen and swipe (especially swipe up).

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm new to the Goldwing world but have this mount on my ST1300 and my FJR. Haven't lost a phone yet and its easy to mount.

TechGripper

Part Number 4-31001TGRIP

$79.90 Color:

Fits wide range of metric and all Harley-Davidson motorcycles.Control Mount: attaches to handlebar control clamps(clutch or brake side). Replaces the two factory pinch bolts with new stainless bolts and spacers on handlebar controls.This kit includes a TechGripper to securely hold any smart phone in any case. \"To view available kits for this mount please click on \"RELATED PRODUCTS\" below.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the info, I needed a tripod mount to take pictures with my cell phone for work (so I will use the L bracket) and I already have a RAM mounting system on the bike. This setup will kill 2 birds with one stone! I have the x-mount but since I got a Samsung Note 8, it is just not safe to use it with the Note 8's "Infinity Screen" that has the glass around the edge, it is an accident waiting to happen. Since I got the phone I have not used it on the bike. This will be an awesome solution, as I may take some rubber and cut a V in the middle of it and glue to the top and bottom of the clamp to cushion the glass edges a little bit more. Been looking for a solution to mount the phone for awhile, so thanks for the post, I already ordered the parts!

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Note 8

Thanks for the info, I needed a tripod mount to take pictures with my cell phone for work (so I will use the L bracket) and I already have a RAM mounting system on the bike. This setup will kill 2 birds with one stone! I have the x-mount but since I got a Samsung Note 8, it is just not safe to use it with the Note 8's "Infinity Screen" that has the glass around the edge, it is an accident waiting to happen. Since I got the phone I have not used it on the bike. This will be an awesome solution, as I may take some rubber and cut a V in the middle of it and glue to the top and bottom of the clamp to cushion the glass edges a little bit more. Been looking for a solution to mount the phone for awhile, so thanks for the post, I already ordered the parts!
I've been carrying a Note 8 on my bike with a X-Grip mount ever since the phone came out. I have a stretch black web that goes over the corners of the phone to hold it in. It works great except for the 10 seconds it takes to attach and detach the web.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After spending well over a couple hundred dollars (over probably 8years)on trying to find the best mount for my smartphone and a couple thousand on replacing the phones the high dollar mounts allowed to become bouncing blips in my rear view mirror, I have discovered what is the simplest, most inexpensive and secure mount I have yet to use.

It is a mount used by camera buffs to mount their phones on a tripod. (Under $5 on eBay.). I mated this with a 1”- 1/4” threaded ram ball and used the ram mounts I already had installed.

The thing that makes this mount work is the thumbscrew and very effective ribbed rubber pads that hold the phone very securely with about one turn on the screw. (No messing with the rubber band/corner holder that is absolutely necessary with the Ram-Xgrip and other high dollar mounts.)

There are several variations of this type of mount, the one I like second best is a Ulanzi brand all metal, but it has only one threaded hole and it is in the end of the mount which requires a landscape orientation. I prefer the one I currently use because it has the option of mounting it from the back (portrait) or from the end (landscape). If you prefer landscape, the Ulanzi is a bit more $, but heartier. The one I am currently using has been on the bike now for over 50k miles and has not yet even offered to slip or disconnect(I started with a fishing line leader safety tether in case the construction wasn’t dependable) that would be your call....

Don’t know the proper or allowable links but a mod can correct or delete if necessary.

Here’s a pic or two to help with the “build”. The mount is held by a 1/4” male threaded Ram ball. The first gen build included a 12” metal fishing leader with both ends looped onto the threaded screw in the mount and wrapped around the bike mounted ball. I used a 1/4” female Ram ball and drilled a hole in the top of my brake MC cover and used a flat headed screw in from the bottom( head between the rubber gasket and the cap) I liked this location better than the clamp screw mounted Ram ball.

The mount ordered from China can be had for under $4 or you can order from the US in the $8-9 range.

Hope this helps somebody from losing a phone from your high dollar mount!

👍
What do you say about Goldstrike's Cybercharger Phone Mount?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Haven’t used that particular mount, but I have heard good things.... post up a review!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts