GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about installing this device on next tire change and what to know if it is worth it !!! :chat:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've used mine for over a year and love it. We were taking off on a trip last year and I had neglected to check the air pressure. Ten miles into the trip the alarm light started flashing while displaying that I only had 36 psi in the front tire. We all know how long it takes to trash a front tire with the wrong air pressure. Just a couple instances like that and the unit is paid for.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't have it but it's on my Christmas List!!! From what I have heard they are one of those things that once you have you can't imagine not having them! 8) 8) 8)

A

·
0 Posts
It works great. Now I only have to bend down once every couple of months to double check the pressure. It hasn't been off yet.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Smart tire

I have it and like it,what sold me was Fred H installed it on his bike and he found a bad valve stem.For me it is another safty device and you can't have too many on a motorcycle.Just be very careful when you change tires,ask me how I know...JMHO.....Jim

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
smartire

My guru, The Lovely and Talented Mr. Fred Harmon put one on his rig and wrote it up in great detail. I installed mine exactly the same way (built into the dash) and it's great. Raises your comfort level that you are not riding on under inflated tires and warns you if you are. A great safety product that will undoubtedly become standard on all cars and bikes. Why wait. I highly recommend you check out Fred's site and that you purchase this product.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I have had the SmarTire system for two years and now consider it a "must have" safety device.

I always check the tire pressure at start-up (once we start riding) and then several times a day, especially when it is hot. I am still fascinated just how hot the tires get.

NOTE: I've had TWO sensors damaged beyond repair by shops changing tires when on the road. Even AFTER I make a point of telling them about the sensor and to be extra careful.
The place I usually go (Carter Honda in Vancouver) has done many tire changes with NO damage.
So now I'll take the SmarTire instruction book on the road and if I ever need a tire change I'll show the dealer and mechanic the correct way to take the tire off the rim.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
PS The SmarTire head office is in Richmond - not far from the Vancouver International Airport (where I work) so it's easy for me to get to. When I was getting another replacement sensor last month I had a chat with the sales rep - and he showed me their latest 'big thing' - the RV package.

If you have an RV you might be VERY impressed with the new SmarTire sensor RV set up. Heck, I was and I don't even own and RV!

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I think this would be great - I'll be looking into it. I have had tire pressure monitors in several cars (all three now) and I think more motorcycle manufacturers need to get with the program. I think its sad how slow motorcycles manufacturers are to add such safety devices (yeah, I know, they don't want to be uncompetitive).

I'm glad to see Kawasaki is putting it on the new Concours 14.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We just finished out second season with our Smarttire and love it! :D

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I have had it for about a year and a half. It is invaluable probably my number one accessory. It found two nails I had picked up that were slowly leaking. My only complaint is the visibility of the readout on the monitor. It is backlit but it isn't very bright, with any side sunlight it really is very difficult to read. With the size of the readout, I would think it would be fairly easy for the SmarTire folks to install a brighter backlit LCD or even an LED.

·
Registered
229 Posts
John in YVR said:
PS The SmarTire head office is in Richmond - not far from the Vancouver International Airport (where I work) so it's easy for me to get to. When I was getting another replacement sensor last month I had a chat with the sales rep - and he showed me their latest 'big thing' - the RV package.

If you have an RV you might be VERY impressed with the new SmarTire sensor RV set up. Heck, I was and I don't even own and RV!
Thanks, I think I'll look into that for my toy hauler.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re: smarttire does anybody use it ???and if so do u like it

superjett said:
I am thinking about installing this device on next tire change and what to know if it is worth it !!! :chat:
As the previous posts have indicated, it's an outstanding addition to the bike...any brand of bike! The one installed on our Wing has worked great but I do have two cautions for you to keep in mind.

1) As previously mentioned, tire changes are a more delicate operation once the tire sensor is installed. I had one sensor trashed by a rally vendor during a new tire installation...even after I clearly showed him the sensor location stickers on the rims. Damage is most likely to occur to the front sensor due to the wheel being physically narrower than the rear. I normally swap out my own tires at home but damage to the tire while on the road required replacement at the rally...which brings up the next point.

2) The SmarTire system is no magic bullet to solve all your tire whoas. It's reliability to give accurate pressure readings can cause you to get complacent with checking the tire condition. You will get the tire pressure status each time you start rolling for the first time and at the push of a button at other times. However, on a regular basis you MUST get on the ground and put the ol' eyeballs on the tire condition. As we all know, not all damage to the tire rubber results in immediate loss of pressure. That's where the visual inspection comes to play. My own problem in the previous paragraph was a cut in the tread of an "experienced" tire which looked nasty, causing me to question the risk of the long ride home from the rally. A visual inspection of the tire found a condition that did not present the needed triggers for the SmarTire system to throw a caution light in this case.

I would urge you to install it on your bike. The added safety factor and tire awareness makes for more pleasant travels.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
I have had mine since April. Works great.
Will not have another bike without it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts