GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last couple of days I have started smelling anti freeze when I stop. I thought it was the car next to me. This morning after my ride to work..it WAS me! I don't see anything dripping . I have a bellie pan on the bike.....the dealer filled it about 7 weeks ago? Any help?

bruce aka 'the blue trawler"

:blw1:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Blue Trawler, I don't know anything about antifreeze but I thought you needed some kind of reply.

Boatner

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Bruce,
If you are still in warranty, let the dealer find it. Failing that you may have a problem if you don't have a fluid trail. Your system may be leaking enough for you to smell the coolant as it evaporates. My wife's cage is doing this and driving me crazy.

The fix will be an Easter Egg Hunt. Check all clamps. The radiators are assembled with a metal core and plastic ends. The gasket between the core and ends can leak. I have had success tightening the crimps for this seal on a cage. I could be wrong about the radiators. I seem to remember them being like a cage radiator. Good luck.

P.S. We are going back to Gatlinburg tomorrow despite the snow. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Antifreeze smell

I also had the smell of antifreeze on my 01. I eventually saw a small drip on the left valve cover. I called the dealer and they said that they had come across several left radiator hose clamps loose. I pulled the panels from behind the front wheel and sure enough there it was. I was completed in about 20 minutes. It would have takin longer to drive it to the dealer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Dealer found the hose clamps had come loose on the y connection on the back of the engiine on my 2001 at 36,000 miles and covered it under warrenty. It would not leak when you ran the engine but let it sit over night and the next day would be puddle :cus:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Had to pull the fuel tank when I put the drive boot back on. During that process I found that all three of the "Y" hose clamps were loose. You could see where there had been some seeping. I tightened them and have yet to smell any more coolant since. That would be my guess where your smell is coming from.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I had the antifreeze leak on my 2003. The two "Y" fittings under the tank are the common leaking points. Often, you will not actually see a leak due to evaporation but the smell does give it away. The dealer confirmed mine with a coolant system pressure test.

I did not see the year of your bike but mine was covered under warranty at the very end of my standard 3-year warranty.

Hector

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Got some good advice already.

Having read of similar situations I took of the tupperware and tank out to tighten all my hose clamps. Honda screwed the pooch in not using spring clamps insted of the screw type clamps. As the temperature goes up and down the connection loostens up and slowly leaks.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had the same problem was smelling antifreeze. They just changed the alternator on mine and checked the clamps. They said all mine were loose. It is an 03 with 83,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
If anti freeze was added through the radiator it or the system over filled it will vent antifreeze for a few days till it levels off. Cheers :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was getting the antifreeze smell. It ended up being a bad radiator cap. Since the dealer replaced the cap, no more antifreeze smell.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi, blue. There are at least 22 worm screw hose clamps that I can think of on a Goldwings' cooling system. Any one of them can leak.

As you ride the bike, the hot coolant causes the rubber hose under the clamps to compress over time. A worm screw type clamp will just be looser and looser as this happens.

The first thing you have to do is gain access to all the clamps and retighten them as needed, being careful not to over-tighten them as they will suddenly strip requiring you to replace that clamp. Look around the area of each clamp as you tighten them. The clamp that was leaking will have a yellowish crusty stain where ever anti-freeze was coming out and pooling.

As others have said, the use of spring type clamps would have eliminated this issue, even Hondas' own automobiles use spring types, so, go figure. It isn't the first time Honda has made a bad choice in designing and building the 1800 Goldwing. It's a great machine to ride if you don't mind the glitches.

But if your bike is still under warranty, the dealer should be doing this for you. Keep pestering them until they fix your problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I dont know if any of you follow my troubles with my 07 Wing. Had the left radiator replaced with less than 2000 miles on the bike,seems that as the left fan turns it is up against the radiator and as the shroud spins it rubs holes in the radiator (just the left the right is about 1/8" away from the radiator. Honda of Norfolk took the bike in and changed the radiator. I went maybe another 1800 miles when I started seeing steam and a slight leak while out of town on a bike trip, had to stop for peace of mind and put radiator stop leak in the bike. When I got back I took it back to Honda of Norfolk and told them it was leaking (you could smell the coolant) to which they replied that it wasnt leaking and the smell was "residual" from when the radiator was changed. After trying to show the service manager that I was no moron and I have been taking engines apart since I was born and trying to convence him that I KNEW it was leaking, he said that was all they could do and come pick the bike up. SO, I picked the bike up (still smelled like coolant) rode maybe 2000 miles (with stop leak) when I decided to take it back to the service manager as I could not stand the coolant smell any longer. Called five days later to see what was up and the service manager said the bike was not leaking, I almost blew a gasket. I went to pick the bike up (still smelling like coolant) and he defiantly told me the bike was not leaking. I left before I got upset and rode to work, then home that evening. Rode into work the next day (still smelling antifreeze) and came home that second night and upon entering my garage the coolant blew all over the front of the bike, looked up under the front with a flashlight and GUESS WHAT!!!! THE FRICKEN LEFT RADIATOR HAS A HOLE IN IT AGAIN!!!!!!!Tomorrow I go to see the service manager again and I dont know if I can contain myself, pray for me Christians.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Never said they arent great rides, I love mine, its just irritating to look into the face of your "service rep" and see that he knows exactly what your talking about but his "hands are tied" because Mother Honda hasn't said allright, "we screwed up". Well today I just got the word from Honda Norfolk that after calling California Honda, HONDA does agree that 07 and some 08 Wings were manufactured with the left radiator fan to close to the left radiator, just cause you haven't had any trouble yet doesn't mean you won't, do yourself a favor and look up under the front of your bike and you can see the two radiators and their relation to the fans, I looked at some in the show room today and three outta four had the fan on the left side almost touching the radiator but the radiator on the right was about 1/4" away. So my rep says the work is covered under warranty AGAIN as this will be the third radiator on the left side of this bike. On another note, Honda also agrees now that that cheap piece of crap ratchet mechanism on the windshield is a defect and a new one is now available, rep says they said he can go ahead and change that too under warranty. Geez

·
Fire Eating Member
6,472 Posts
To update on my anti freeze smell... dealer found 2 hoses that needed to be tightened.. and changed the radiator cap... while they had the shelter off they changed the air filter & adjusted the lag out of the cruise control..
it only cost me $22.68 for the air filter....

I would highly recommend Honda of Lafayette to anyone...... no issues
when I picked up my bike.. the service manager and I went over my entire bike for any scratches .. and we both went over all the controls, lights & digital readout functions... EVERYTHING WORKED.. I give them
a 10

cosmic

1 - 20 of 21 Posts