GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well not really candid camera, but you are, on my back up camera.... Here is my story.
This last spring I upgraded my '96 bunkhouse camper for an '03 Bunkhouse camper. this newer camper came with the add on room, which is what sold me. Also what came with the camper was the a/c unit, many extra camping supplies,ie lights, table,rug,fans, heaters,fire starter logs and many many more unmentionables. The one other thing that came with the camper was a queen sized foam memory pad.
The person I bought the camper from, folded the foam pad in half and kept it on top of the camper. He bought a taller cover so it covers the pad and camper all in one. Now I am not sure how anyone else stores their extra matteress/ pad but I store it this way also.
The only problem I have is that when I travel down the road. I can't really see over the top of the camper. I have to move from one side of the lane to the other side to see behind me. Or give a little jiggle to the bike so the camper can wiggle a bit so I can see behind me. I know. Not very safe but you do what you have to do. That got me thinking...
The big BIG campers have a rear facing camera with a monitor on the dash to view what is behind them. Why not me?? SO, I started looking on the net and settled on a cheap setup from ebay. figure if this works and than dies on me, I can always upgrade later. I found one for 50 bucks to the door.its a wireless set up. No wires from the camera to monitor. All I had to do was hook up a red and black wire for the camera to a power source(license plate light for me). Mount the antenna on the front of the tub of the camper(3m tape). put the 2.5 inch monitor on the base and use the suction cup on the windshield and plug the monitor to the acc plug in. Turn on the bike and both units power up and vahlaa I can see behind the camper without looking in the mirrors.
I told some other guys that ride bikes at work and we all have a laugh when I tell them my goldwing has a Back up camera on it.Than I tell them why and all is ok. Some still get a big surprised look when I tell them I pull a camper with my bike. I think most imagine that I am pulling a fifth wheel camper with the bike but to me/us its just as big and comfy as one. Especially since we sleep 4 people in mine when we use it.
Thanks for you interest and your thoughts. Anyone else use a backup camera on the set up??

·
Registered
714 Posts
Necessity is the mother of invention and ingenuity. What an awesome idea. You are one smart dude.

:yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1:

·
Registered
154 Posts
same camera but different seller. not really sure if Ican post an ad from ebay or not. sorry if im not supposed to.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PEAK-WI...717?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1370623d
Lots of eBay links here so you are probably OK. Here is an Amazon link. I think it's the same as yours...

http://www.amazon.com/Peak-PKC0RA-01-Wireless-Back-Up-Monitor/dp/B001P27ZVE

There is a Test and Support area if you want to learn how to post photos here...

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24

I use photobucket, free, to post an inline pic with just by copy/paste the image code.

Works well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts