GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for massive flames, I'm a smoker and want to install a cigarette lighter on my new (to me) GL1800. I'm brand new to the Wing World and don't have a clue as to where others install their lighter, now how.

It would be nice to use same fixture for my electric clothes, but not absolutely necessary. I've changed my Gerbings connection to the cigarette style (but heavy duty) for quick connect convenience on my H-D, which had two lighters, aka power outlets.

Just so you know I'm considerate, if I happen to be riding along with you, I'll ride in back :) - wouldn't want to endanger anyone's life with second hand smoke!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have not performed an installation like this, but I'll offer my advice, for what it is worth.

The first step is to find the correct lighter. I'd check out either a marine or Harley shop, as they'll have something water-resistant. The standard accessory plug that you can buy from Honda and clones will not work with a lighter, simply not being designed to accommodate one.

As for placement, my personal choice would be under the lock on the starboard side panel, avoiding the square panel pop-out used for the heated grip controls, allowing such to be added at a later time without difficulties. I think that the port side panel is too cluttered for the task. Frankly, I can't think of another location, unless you were to make some kind of custom mount on the handlebars or the like.

My .02, take it as you will.

As for smoking, I must confess. I enjoy a good cigar now and then, but not often enough for a lighter on the Wing.

·
Chard Member
13,051 Posts
Hello Jim:
I installed mine where the control for the heated grips goes. It is from Drag Specialities and is made for a bike. It is large enough to grip with heavy gloves on. I ran a couple of 14 gauge wires straight to the battery with a inline fuse. I think the complete unit is about $12. I've used this same style lighter since my days with the Vetter fairings. If for some reason you want to remove it in the future the black plastic piece is $5.07.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I smoke occasionally on the bike too. Thanks for the info on the "motorcycle friendly" cigarette lighter, Red. I'm going to have to get one of those!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Drag Specialties?

Is that a magazine, or a web site? Ran a search came up with 8.9Trillion sites, mostly NHRA Related.

Repeat after me; Ride, add cool stuff, Ride, add cool stuff, Ride.

·
Registered
759 Posts
installed my cig lighter where the heated grip controller is supposed to go. Originally purchased a stainless stell lighter from a marine dealer. Works and looks great. If I had to do over...I would install the lighter on the left side of bike...plenty of room there for the installation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello,

I mounted my lighter on the same panel where the ignition key is. My lighter is mounted to the left side of the ignition key and is easy access for my left hand keeping right hand on the throttle. My ground lead is to the bolt between the front fork legs. My positive lead is to the E/C accessory panel and is fused with a 10 amp fuse. I hope this helps.

Sly Fox

·
Registered
231 Posts
Talk about lazy, I found a battery operated electric pocket lighter. About $4.
I also have my co-rider do the lighting chores.
Hawk and LadyHawk

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I can't smoke when my wife is on the back. The low pressure pocket behind me pulls the ashes right into her. We always wait until a "rest stop" to light up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent suggestions! Thanks - looks like it'll be a Drag Specialty on left side. I think getting the stainless steel one from a boat shop will be worth the extra money. :eek:w1:

·
Chard Member
13,051 Posts
Don Stefanik said:
???????
What about a plan old Bick Lighter?
I haven't found a 80 mph Bic! :D LOL...

The socket is also wired heavy enough I can run my portable air compressor for long periods and not have to worry about burning up wiring or popping a fuse!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought a windproof lighter at REI. Works at almost any speed I can take one hand off the handle bars to use it. Only time it didn't work was at the top of Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain Natinal Park due to the altitude. They run on Butane.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts