GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was down in the Smokies on May 25th and they were doing some construction on 441, on the TN side of Newfound Gap, replacing a stone wall, I think. It was a real mess with alternating one lane for both directions.

It looked to me that this was going to take quite awhile to finish. Does anyone on here know if that project is still going on, or anything about whether or not they are still working during the day on it?

I would think this would cause major problems during the tourist season and might switch to working at night.

Any information someone can provide is appreciated. We have a group heading that way next week.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
You might want to call the TN Highway Department or AAA for an update.

I was down in the Smokies on May 25th and they were doing some construction on 441, on the TN side of Newfound Gap, replacing a stone wall, I think. It was a real mess with alternating one lane for both directions.

It looked to me that this was going to take quite awhile to finish. Does anyone on here know if that project is still going on, or anything about whether or not they are still working during the day on it?

I would think this would cause major problems during the tourist season and might switch to working at night.

Any information someone can provide is appreciated. We have a group heading that way next week.

Thanks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Road Construction

Just left there yesterday and it is still going on. Also it is going on in two other places two. If you are on two wheels be careful of your footing. My brother-in-law had his work cut out for him. I just kicked it out of gear and just waited.

Sonney

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
The details of the roadway repairs are provided on the NPS Smoky Mountain National Park website.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
The details of the roadway repairs are provided on the NPS Smoky Mountain National Park website.
Good suggestion! It appears that the work on the .7 mi section of 441 is scheduled for completion by June 10.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Everyone!

I knew I could count on this board to come through again.

I know we found ourselves having to stop on a downhill grade with the road sloping to the left rather sharply. I was ok with it, but my son didn't have experience with something like that and it surprised him. He didn't loose it, but I could sure see how someone could.

Our group that is going down that way has some people in it that are still pretty new to riding and I've suggested that we not go through there if that was still going on.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Be very, very careful with a group including inexperienced riders, especially in unfamiliar territory and on twisty, hilly roads, some with blind curves. I would recommend considerably greater spacing between bikes than most groups employ; even to the point of breaking up into singles and stopping in preselected rest areas to wait. This will facilitate safer passing by faster vehicles.

Have a great time.

Thanks Everyone!

I knew I could count on this board to come through again.

I know we found ourselves having to stop on a downhill grade with the road sloping to the left rather sharply. I was ok with it, but my son didn't have experience with something like that and it surprised him. He didn't loose it, but I could sure see how someone could.

Our group that is going down that way has some people in it that are still pretty new to riding and I've suggested that we not go through there if that was still going on.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Thanks for that info.
We're going to a rally in Maggie Valley the 21st of June.
I have a trike but will still take it easy.

·
Banned
2,341 Posts
I came out on 441 yesterday at Tellico Plains and rode into Cartersville with no problems.....Just dusty. They are doing most of the road work at night. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I came out on 441 yesterday at Tellico Plains and rode into Cartersville with no problems.....Just dusty. They are doing most of the road work at night. :thumbup:
Coming out of Tellico, wouldn't that be 411?:shrug:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts