GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to go on March 9th. This will be the first time my wife goes along on the bike. She wanted to go to Dollywood, but they are closed until the end of March. What else is there to do that time of year? I'm happy just riding, but she'll likely want to do some sit-down type stuff. White Water rafting is out of the question, we almost froze to death doing it in July.... Hiking, yes, ATV rides certainly, but what attractions are open?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ski slopes, ice rinks, bars, and snuggling.

Have fun.

P.S. - you're 60 days early - it's still winter there.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,533 Posts
I take a ride to the Smokies in late June....but in March I would be worried about the weather...could be ice and snow at higher elevations where the nice riding is. Lots of nice riding in the area....you would do better to wait a few months.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about Myrtle Beach?

I'm worried about the fact that March is the rainiest month of the year there also. I don't feel like going all the way to Daytona. Maybe Myrtle Beach, but what is there to do there in March? Any good riding in the Myrtle Beach area?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I'm worried about the fact that March is the rainiest month of the year there also. I don't feel like going all the way to Daytona. Maybe Myrtle Beach, but what is there to do there in March? Any good riding in the Myrtle Beach area?
Good riding around Myrtle Beach? I'm sure you'll find the 11 turns in 318 miles. :lol: To me good riding is riding on mountain roads, not for the elevation, but for the twistys. ;) You'll find none of that around Myrtle Beach.

None of us can really tell you where to spend your vacation, or when to go, but since you are looking for good riding roads, I'd suggest staying away from Myrtle Beach, and ride Southern Appalachia. Now THAT'S good riding roads!!! But then, you'd have to wait for warmer temperatures.

Either way you decide to go, always have a great time and ride safely.

Mike

·
Registered
746 Posts
I plan to go on March 9th. This will be the first time my wife goes along on the bike. She wanted to go to Dollywood, but they are closed until the end of March. What else is there to do that time of year? I'm happy just riding, but she'll likely want to do some sit-down type stuff. White Water rafting is out of the question, we almost froze to death doing it in July.... Hiking, yes, ATV rides certainly, but what attractions are open?
Not for nothing but, touristy stuff is closed then for a reason.
Ya might want to rethink your timeframe........and keep Mamma Happy.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
The Biltmore Mansion in Asheville, N.C. is a must, especially for the bride. Make sure you spend the few extra bucks for the headphones that give info on each room as you go thru it.

No shortage of great riding in the area either.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Early March is real marginal for weather. Someone already mentioned the Dragon, Deals Gap. Another area is US 421 Mountain City to Shady Valley, Extreme North East Tennessee. There ia always the Blue Ridge Parkway. Try staying in Fontana in the old cabins the workers used when building the dam. We live in Northwest North Carolina and normally don't get the wing out untill April. Its not the temps as much as road conditions. Early March we will still have sand and chemicals from the snow season. Until it all gets washed off you may have traction problems and the left over chemicals will settle into every nook and cranny on the bike. Then if it gets wet without being washed off you got real problems. The biggest snow we have had in a long time (1993) came the first week in March.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I was there last year at the end of March. The weather and the riding was great. But it was cold, 32 the last day out. We had the roads to ourselves and the views are great because the trees did not block it. We are planning to go again this year. My advantage is that I do this at a spur of the moment thing for a long weekend trip. So I get to pick the weekend while watching the weather.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The Biltmore Mansion in Asheville, N.C. is a must, especially for the bride. Make sure you spend the few extra bucks for the headphones that give info on each room as you go thru it.
If you really want to make HER day, spring for a night, or two, at the Biltmore Inn (which is on the Biltmore estate). A bit pricey, but, what a treat - 'specially for her, and that means for you too <G>).:grin: Biltmore admission is included in the price of your room.

Valet parking at the Inn is available - even for your wing.:nojoke:

The BMW K1200LT crowd takes over the entire hotel for a weekend once a year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts