GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question has come up: Who is leading a ride for our event?

As of now, the answer is: There are no leaders. There are routes and directions on the web given by Bart and Gary. It will be up to all of us to talk amongst ourselves and decide what roads to take and if anyone wants to lead. If anyone has a route to post, please send it to me and I'll add it to the website.

I've taken a page from the Rockies Gold event, where the routes were posted and we were on our own to ride.

Of course, if anyone wants to declare a ride to lead with a time and place to meet, please do so - seize the opportunity! I see just one problem, however: A certain rider from Maryland may show up at the wrong starting point if you declare a Shoneys, so be careful! Better specify longitute and latitude instead. We won't mention any names. ;);)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
The question has come up: Who is leading a ride for our event?

As of now, the answer is: There are no leaders. There are routes and directions on the web given by Bart and Gary. It will be up to all of us to talk amongst ourselves and decide what roads to take and if anyone wants to lead. If anyone has a route to post, please send it to me and I'll add it to the website.

I've taken a page from the Rockies Gold event, where the routes were posted and we were on our own to ride.

Of course, if anyone wants to declare a ride to lead with a time and place to meet, please do so - seize the opportunity! I see just one problem, however: A certain rider from Maryland may show up at the wrong starting point if you declare a Shoneys, so be careful! Better specify longitute and latitude instead. We won't mention any names. ;);)
Hummm.....I think you just managed to start wheels turning in peoples minds with this post!;););):lol:

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I haven't run my route yet but will. Looking to ride less than 200 miles(SLOW). Thinking about riding the Dragon if it's true,There's safety in numbers. Lot of twisties but no peg dragging. Run the Dragon over to Cerokee Foothills, to Townsend, over to Sugarland, MAYBE Cades Cove, over to Cherokee and back home. I haven't measured it for milage or time but will. Would like to throw in Wayah Rd. if posible.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
SlowJoe, will NOT be riding with me. LOL's I have passed countless bikes when running the dragon. Some move over and some get ticked off by a GL1800 scraping pegs flying around them.
When group riding curvy roads it can be a nightmare. Some people like to push there machines hard, some like to smell the flowers and look at the scenery, then there are some who will not lean a bike no matter what kind of curve they are going around.
Nothing but problems unless you get a group of like minded riders.
It is just as flustering for the fast riders poking along as it is for the slow riders being pushed over their limits.
Anyone even thinking about doing a large group ride had better have very thick skin, not kidding!!!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
SlowJoe, will NOT be riding with me. LOL's I have passed countless bikes when running the dragon. Some move over and some get ticked off by a GL1800 scraping pegs flying around them.
When group riding curvy roads it can be a nightmare. Some people like to push there machines hard, some like to smell the flowers and look at the scenery, then there are some who will not lean a bike no matter what kind of curve they are going around.
Nothing but problems unless you get a group of like minded riders.
It is just as flustering for the fast riders poking along as it is for the slow riders being pushed over their limits.
Anyone even thinking about doing a large group ride had better have very thick skin, not kidding!!!
Was hoping for maybe 5-7 bikes, not a huge group and average speed minded.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Passing on the dragon...just one more reason I won't ride it again. I wasn't passed on the dragon but was on a road nearby by a crotchrocket doing about 100mph. I don't really care if people pass my slow butt, but this jerk passed so closely that his shirt flapped across my arm :rolleyes: No reason to get that close when you might catch the other rider by surprise and cause an accident. So, what's the point? To prove how cool you are? Go ahead, pass...but if I had seen that little schmuck on the side of the road later on would I have stopped? Of course, I would have stopped to check for a pulse - only because if he wasn't already dead I would have ripped his shirt off and stuffed it down his throat! Just one more reason I ride alone - road rage on a GW isn't pretty:eek:4:

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I'm going to ride on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. If anyone wants to tag along, they're welcome too. Three to four additional bikes is cool.

I'm planning on doing the Dragon/Cherohala loop on Thursday, mainly because it won't be so busy and I can get a new picture of me on the bike from Darryl at Killboy.com.

Other than that, no specific plans. I won't ride and fast as Trialsman or Snoopy, but a bit quicker than SlowJoe. ;)

Like John mentioned, with all the routes that Gary and I have provided, you should be able to enjoy yourself with a few friends and marvel at the fantastic roads before you have to go back to the real world! :joke:

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Was hoping for maybe 5-7 bikes, not a huge group and average speed minded.
Joe, I'd like to tag along again with you on Saturday - your speed suits me fine. Won't know if Judy can come too until that week, most likely. I've got reservations for Fri. and Sat. night at the Two Rivers Lodge about 6 miles from the Ridge Top.

·
Registered
470 Posts
SlowJoe,
Cade's Cove on a bike is a REAL bummer, if traffic is heavy. Sometimes you think "well, maybe I can get away with-out the skid-lid for a few miles" and then the "law" is just around the nex corner.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
:clap2::thumbup:...wife and I are just going to ride around and enjoy the Mt....but we'll be there to eat...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts