GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Words can't describe the feeling I had this event.
The first two years we had approximately 200 people in attendance. Last year Mike and Kriss had the idea for an auction and what a great idea it was. In total, we raised $4000.00.
This year we added (suckered) Bobby and Anne Park to help out by collecting the monies for the BBQ and raffle tickets. With help from Mary, Kriss's parents, Joe, My wife and a few others.
New this year, we had a local story teller come to the parking lot party on Thursday night. He shared some of the history of Bryson City and his passion for renivating historical buildings in this area. Once again your generosity shown through.
Since John wasn't able to attend, Dan & Rachel from Isreal took the position of photographer with some great pic's and videos that he put on you tube for us.
Shorty, Slow Joe, Tom and Mike led rides showing everyone a good time in the mountains.
Thanks to the Carolina Mountain Riders for tasty dinner Friday night. Also to Shorty and Jacque for catching all the fish.
Our Friday entertainment was graciously provided by Ross, our auctioneer,and Slow Joe. The silent auction, thanks to Kriss was also a big hit.
Saturday was beautiful riding weather. To wrap up this years event at the BBQ awards were given out by Slow Joe. There were gift certificates raffled off given by local merchants. Kriss set up another silent auction to raise more money for the kids. The total money topped last years event with half the people. A rough total of $4,864.00 was brought in. We were so close to $5,000.00 that y'all rallied and came up with an additional amount to bring the total to $5,113.00. I thought, "wow what a great year we just had". After every thing was over I had another surprise. DEPUTY DAWG walked up to me and handed me another $100.00. Bring the total to $5,213.00.
I would like to say this was an emotional event for me i just can't believe how generous you guys are when it comes to the Kids in Bryson City.
I would also like to thank each of you who participated in this years Smoky Mountain Ride-In.
You Guys Are Great !!!!
Thanks Again.
See you next year at the 4th Annual Smoky Mountain Ride In June 19-23 2012
Gary

·
Registered
536 Posts
Gary, It was truly a great time and some really fun riding with such a great group of riders.
Thanks to Dan for all his work with the videos, great job.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
My SMRI ride is over. Same as all the other rides I've led. Tried to show riders plenty of twisties. This year the ride included several 180 degree swithbacks, my mandatory u-turns, and five 360 degree curves in downtown Blairsville. While looking lost this was actually part of the planned 'Find Steve's Restuarant' game I had included. The other instructional class was orchastrated by TowMotor. During Wayah Rd. he stopped everybody to teach 'Survival and Recovery of the 1800'. We learned that it's not a trailer hitch, it's a lifting lug. Probably a teamwork excercise he learned in his 33 years as a Fireman. Even the local Power Company stopped to anchor this excersize. You had to be there. Left with 12 bikes and returned with 5. Pretty good numbers considering the roads we were on.:eek:4::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Those that decided not to attend due to rain made a mistake. When we arrived Friday everybody was complaining about the 3 days of rain. Well I brought up sunshine with no rain as a special gift to the attendees. A 30 minute shower right before the FishFry to wash off the roads for our Saturday ride. After that no rain Friday night, Blue skies Saturday and Sunday. Not real hot either compared to lately. Pretty nippy in the mornings if yall remember what nippy is.:lol::lol:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Had a great time Gary, but I got one question for you. When did you get that picture in you avatar beside my 02 orange wing? :lol::joke:

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Had a great time Gary, but I got one question for you. When did you get that picture in you avatar beside my 02 orange wing? :lol::joke:
I think I can answer that question... That was taken at Goodson Farms in Florida - right after we devoured some strawberries.

(I didn't know you lent him your motorcycle all winter though)

You can even see my shadow at the bottom of the photo.

Then for a promo shot of Gary's shirt...!

OH - BTW - Gail doesn't like the fireman on his antenna! (Or maybe it is the bikini clad gal climbing up behind)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts