GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SMRI website has been updated:

You may sign up now for next year. Since there will not be a Fish Fry, a question has been added for the BBQ to be held Friday or Saturday.

The person collecting for the BBQ is not known at this time, but we will have a pay in advance by June 1. The cost may be the same or may go up, depending on the economy. Updates will be made next April.

I want to thank everyone who helped out, especially Gary who is indefatigable. [Now that's a $25 word!]

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Videos & Slide Shows

If anyone else cares to make a video or slide show and either post to You Tube or store for viewing, please do so. I will link the URL to the Photos Page of the SMRI website.

·
Registered
882 Posts
John signed up before fri or sat was asked. Put us down for friday.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BBQ Night Choice

John signed up before fri or sat was asked. Put us down for friday.
Have you covered. After talking with Gary, some people had to leave before the Sat BBQ. Since Shorty can no longer do the Fish Fry, we though it best to poll the attendees. The more popular choice will determine the night, and Gary is going to reserve both nights, then cancel one.

Of course, this means that the earlier everyone signs up, the better idea we will have on which is the better night.

I should add that we picked up a new Link, Play & Stay in the Smokies, and I was informed that there is a free concert every Saturday night.

We will also need someone to collect the money for the BBQ. I was hoping for someone who lives close to the event & can coordinate with Gary if possible.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,999 Posts
Sure would be nice if the events were held during the week days and not just on the weekend. I would like to have attended this year and have wanted to for the last two years, but I have to start riding home by Friday at the latest and I miss the BBQ.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We Do Our Best

Sure would be nice if the events were held during the week days and not just on the weekend. I would like to have attended this year and have wanted to for the last two years, but I have to start riding home by Friday at the latest and I miss the BBQ.
Like any other event, we try to set a schedule that will work for the majority of those attending. With the new, five day format, you can pick the days you want to attend.

Most people work and just want to dedicate the weekend - Fri - Sat Sun - to the event. It makes sense to do the BBQ Friday or Saturday. For SMRI IV, those attending are asked which day to have the BBQ. To make it any earlier than Friday would mean that many could not make it.

Everyone has the next twelve months to plan and set aside any vacation time to attend. From the comments so far, I'd have to say that the majority of those attending were happy with the schedule and are planning for 2012. We hope you will be able to do the same.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think that having the BBQ as a wrap up for SMRI on Saturday night is just about perfect. (Definitely like the 6 PM start as opposed to the earlier Fish Fry start.)

Hopefully there will be something in place to replace the fish fry so that there will still be a Friday night auction. Perhaps hamburgers and hot dogs at the same location might work.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ideas

I think that having the BBQ as a wrap up for SMRI on Saturday night is just about perfect. (Definitely like the 6 PM start as opposed to the earlier Fish Fry start.)

Hopefully there will be something in place to replace the fish fry so that there will still be a Friday night auction. Perhaps hamburgers and hot dogs at the same location might work.
If the majority decides on Friday BBQ, there are free Saturday night concerts which have been brought to my attention.

The folks at Gracey Manor would do hot dogs one night if we can figure out how many want to attend the parking lot party on Thursday night.

Gary & I try to think up things, but anyone who has an idea or wants to plan an evening event is more than welcome to come up with something. I was happy to see that ride leaders jumped into the event. Perhaps we need to expand our thinking to include evening social activities.

OK, talk amongst yourselves!

·
Registered
882 Posts
A wet t shirt contest one nite would work . :p

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
KennyC I can't even imagine you in a wet t-shirt! Now that would be SCARRRRY

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
"IF" I am able to attend I vote for Friday night Bar-B-Q.

Then on to Canada for us. Nice place to visit...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts