GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Love to know the rest of the story... if the rider os ok, What was hit of anything. I could see the wheel getting damaged with the bike slapping down on it but there's damage in two places like something was stuck, casting snapped and the remainder of the bike crushed into the wheel before going down. Scares the heck out of me if it simply snapped while riding down the road. If it stuck another vehicle it would explain a lot. Thus... Rest of the story please.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I remember seeing a silver wing back in the early 80s hit a Texas speed bump at about 75 and collapse the forks and tire into the cooler and engine. Yes rider survived, bike was totaled, but it was all in one piece. Speed bump was also a messy casualty.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Love to know the rest of the story... if the rider os ok, What was hit of anything. I could see the wheel getting damaged with the bike slapping down on it but there's damage in two places like something was stuck, casting snapped and the remainder of the bike crushed into the wheel before going down. Scares the heck out of me if it simply snapped while riding down the road. If it stuck another vehicle it would explain a lot. Thus... Rest of the story please.

+1!!

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Alarming!!! Major impact damage to wheel. Maybe the other vehicle has already been removed from scene. Appears to be in another country.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
My (non-expert) observation: Possible that the rim was deformed by some type of impact and aforementioned rim struck caliper causing "sudden stoppage" (an aviation term) of front wheel rotation and subsequently snapping off front wishbone.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Really amazing there's not more damage. It must have stopped so quick the bike didn't flip, roll, high side or slide very far. That makes me think it rear ended something. I can see damage to the left mirror and a bit more but that's impressively little IMHO. Ok almost overlooked left engineer area, still it didn't go far

·
IronMan
17,864 Posts
By looking at pic he rear ended someone. 1 st pic shows oil to left of bike " and bike is going in wrong direction " !!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Clearly a front impact based on the damage to the wheel and rim. Rider probably rear ended another vehicle or truck with a low bumper or under bar. That break also shows how the cast metal broke due to the stresses at impact. Would like to have seen the actual POI (Point of Impact). That would have told us much more. The bike looks like it was moved, since it probably would not have rotated upright like it is now. Interesting.

·
Registered
313 Posts
DCT stuck in 1st gear when he was accelerating from a stop causing him to pop a wheelie and then the parking brake malfunctioned causing a sudden stop and the yoke snapped when the bike dropped back down on the front tire.

>:)

1 - 20 of 142 Posts