GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i get some advice in how to remove the rear tire at home without all the fancy lifts and such?

Also, hod do i convince a tire place to mount the tire on a motorcycle rim?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Two choices: 1.( as describes in owners manual) put the bike on center stand and remove the center fender and Amp bracket, Remove lug nuts and hopefully it will come out the rear. You might have a hard time getting the CT back in the same way.

2. Get a piece of carpet or cardboard the same length of the bike and a bout two or three ft wide. Gently lay the bike over onto the padding that you have laid out for it and go to work on the rear tire. It helps to have another strong back around when you get the new tire on and lift the bike.

p.s. ride the bike until it has about 1/2 tank of gas or lower as it may spill out of the tank vent.

You might try tire stores that put on high end mag wheels to do the mounting, but tell them it's for a trailer or something other than the bike. Some independent bike dealers will mount and balance them, but most Honda dealers won't. You could use 3 oz of Dynabeads to use for balancing them instead of weights.

·
Registered
775 Posts
If you dont have a trailer hitch, then just follow the manual. If you have a hitch, then follow Johns advice on option #2. I have used that method a couple of times and it works great.

My Honda dealer will mount car tires, as will most of the car places around, I choose to do my own because I live 75 miles from my Honda dealer and 20 miles from town.

Oh, and while you didnt ask, I will also give :yes1: on Johns advice for the Dyna Beads..........

·
Registered
164 Posts
Does the new 175/60 tire option make this easier???

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
109 Posts
NH1800 Does the new 175/60 tire option make this easier???
Yes, the 175/60 tire falls into place without rubbing on the wheel lugs or the inside of the rear fender. It goes in place just as easy as the stock MC tire. And, you just won't believe the ride this tire gives. As posted by others, this is the gold standard for a CT on a wing. I can't imagine finding something better.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Yes, the 175/60 tire falls into place without rubbing on the wheel lugs or the inside of the rear fender. It goes in place just as easy as the stock MC tire. And, you just won't believe the ride this tire gives. As posted by others, this is the gold standard for a CT on a wing. I can't imagine finding something better.

What he said.:yes1:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well I am convinced. :joke: I have a serious problem though, my Kumho I think is never going to wear out. I put almost 700 miles on it this weekend, and can still just barely see the E on the letters for the tire that are molded into the center rib of the tire. At this rate it will be 50,000 miles later before I need a new tire.

Will watch the mileage, not that that is important at all, as the Run Flat capability is why I use one, so if handling is that much better, might have to run over a turtle or something so I can get a new tire.

Kit

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well, I found a rim for $65 which should be on it's way up here today, so this is all "timely" information for me, since my next task will to decide on a tire. I was originally thinking of the Eurfori, but in the light of all this new info, I guess I have to re-evaluate that decesion.

BTW: Should I replace the valve stem with a stock Honda one or are you guys using something else?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Can i get some advice in how to remove the rear tire at home without all the fancy lifts and such?
This is an idea (or variation of such) that someone posted a while back that is worth exploring when changing a tire and sounds very easy, secure, and simple.

If you have a utility trailer with a ramp on it or can borrow one, drive the wing's front wheel up onto the trailer leaving the back wheel on the ramp itself. Put the wing on the center stand and tie down the front of the wing so that the front wheel is solid against the bed of the trailer. This will have the wing leveled and the rear wheel hanging in the air. Now you should be able to drop the rear tire out from beneath the wing and replace it the same way. Once this is completed just reverse the process and get the wing back on the road. Two things to remember: #1 make sure you have help #2 make sure that the trailer is secured to the hitch of a vehicle so it will not tilt back on you. I have not tried this method but I have tried to do it by the book and that is a PITA and I DO NOT like to lay my wing on its side.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Tell them it is for a side car
When I ordered my Kuhmo nobody ask what it went on. When it arrived, I took my wheel down there and told them that it was going on the back of a GOLDWING. The only question that they had was "which direction will it rotate?". There was some conversation back and forth as it was being mounted but no reservations from them at all. If someone asks me what its going on I'm not lying. If they won't do business with me then I won't do business with them. One dissatistied customer will tell ten times as many people about your business than one satisfied customer will.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts