GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang, I need your advice. I do all my riding with an open face helmet. I have tried to get comfortable with a full face for safety reasons but I find that ANY reduced visibility bothers me and when I force myself to wear a full face I get a sort of detached riding experience and I don't feel as connected to my bike and therefor less safe.

Anyway, I've looked at the Arai XD as a possible solution but I came across this helmet that is designed for pit crew members.
http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/product_detail.aspx?cat_id=419&prod_id=6994

This helmet is snell sa approved and appears to have the maximum opening for visibility.

I went to the snell foundation sight and found this in the FAQ section:

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
SA Standard was designed for auto racing while M Standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. There are three major differences between them:
1. SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not;
2. SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets may not be street legal);
3. SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
4. The K standards are very similar to the SA standards, however the K standards omit the requirements for flame retardency.

Based on those differences it seems that this helmet with the wide open face area coupled with the snell sa certification may be suitable for motorcycling and be safer than an open face helmet. Since appearance is low on my list of priorities, I'm thinking this helmet might be worth a try.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Nice looking helmet, but does not say it is DOT approved. Not sure but would think that to be the important endorsement as far as the police are concerned.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
scarredpelt said:
2. SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets may not be street legal);
I thought restricted sight was one of your problems with the full face?
Note the description of this particular helment states "wide field of view" and the standards allow for narrower visual field but do not require narrow field of view. It appears from the picture that this particular Simpson Helmet has a similar or wider field of view as many full face and modualr helmets. The DOT vs. Snell may be a more important question. JMHO

·
Registered
317 Posts
That helmet was designed for someone standing around not riding at speed. 14 vents and no way to close them them makes that one cold and wind noise prone helmet. Stick with a helmet designed for riding a motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Here in New Jersey when you bring your motorcycle for the State's Motor Vehicle Inspection, once every 2 years (unless your bike is brand new, in which case it is 4 years, then 2 years after that), they look at your helmet, for 2 reasons: 1) is to check to see if you have the required square inches in reflective tape applied, and 2) to see if your helmet has a DOT sticker on it.

You might want to check with your state's motor vehicle commission for their regulations.

Mike

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I believe that the helmet that you are looking at is not supposed to be used under driving conditions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nolan 102, flip front. The best of both worlds.

The most comfy and quiet helmet I have ever purchased during 25 years of riding.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
heets said:
(Some SA helmets may not be street legal);

Any thoughts?
If that helmet is not DOT approved you will have a chance of being ticketed. And as stated above not all snell approved helmets are street legal. A helmet for a pit crew may be made for different standards than for a street motorcycle.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have the same problem. I got a helmet from the U.K. It's a 3/4, but it has a bar that clips in from the front. Makes it look like a football helmet. Good visiablity. But the british pound beats up the dollar. At first I thought it was to exspensive. One day in a pack riding home on the skukill changed my opinon. I ordered it as so as I got home.

Cementhead 1300

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ralph,

Whats the name of the helmet you have? Is there a web site to see it and possibly order it?

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
To satisfy the letter of the law, the helmet will require a DOT sticker, at least out here in CA. But I'll be darned if I have ever had anyone ever check one of my helmets for the sticker.

Now, what we are talking about here is either you will wear the Pit helmet or an open faced deal, right?

In that case, I would just get the pit helmet and wear it. A Snell approved full face will probably protect your head and surely your face better than an open faced or cherry bucket with a DOT sticker.

Snell doesn't approve any open-faced helmets and are overall more stringent than DOT.

Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
635 Posts
I too had the same problem with full face helmets. I started with an Arai full face, had a lot of issues with this thing on my head. Over time I started wearing it more and more. A year ago I bought an XD, great helmet gives you more room in front of your face, more visability, more ventilation & a visor to block the sun. Recently, my wife bought me a Nolan N102 flip face, the best of both worlds, while I still feel a little detached from the riding experience, I feel a lot safer. Life's a trade-off.

FYI, Snell does approve 3/4 helemts but not yet flip face. But just because it's Snell rated doesn't necessarily means it's a better helmet than a DOT only. Snell has different requirements for impact than DOT. Some of those differences require the helmet to take harder hit without structually damage. That's not always a good thing, The impact has to be absorbed by something, in that case your brain. Think of race cars, Indy type cars disintergrate on impact to disipate the force. Most drivers walk away after seemingly killer crashes. A helmet that absorbs the impact protects your brian from the force of impact. There is a lot of discussion in the industry about whether Snell has gone too far.

Something to consider.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
kevinrlbd said:
FYI, Snell does approve 3/4 helemts but not yet flip face. But just because it's Snell rated doesn't necessarily means it's a better helmet than a DOT only. Snell has different requirements for impact than DOT. Some of those differences require the helmet to take harder hit without structually damage. That's not always a good thing, The impact has to be absorbed by something, in that case your brain. Think of race cars, Indy type cars disintergrate on impact to disipate the force. Most drivers walk away after seemingly killer crashes. A helmet that absorbs the impact protects your brian from the force of impact. There is a lot of discussion in the industry about whether Snell has gone too far.

Something to consider.

Kevin
I stand corrected re: Snell and open-faced helmets. Thanks for the info, Kevin

Scott

·
Registered
172 Posts
just my thoughts

but no racing organisation will let you compete if your helmet is not
SNELL rated within the last five year testing cycle. not any motorcycle,
car ,or boat racing sactioning body. DOT means nothing to them. snell
has much higher standards if it passes the snell test it is way above the