GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you not from the south, that means pretty darn slick. Rode from Knoxville, Tennessee to Beckley WV last weekend. Hit some road construction on Hwy 19 just North of Beckley. The hwy crew had used a huge steel plate to cover a trench that ran across the road. The steel was wet, and the bike took a big slide before I got traction on the other side. Didn't go down, but the pucker factor was about 9.5.

West Virginia is beautiful this time of year. The leaves are starting to turn and weather is cooling off. Looking forward to another trip there soon.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Glad you made it out alive,I understand about side slide,for the first time ever my bike slid on wet pavement and I keeped it up but did my ass pucker as well and then I had a big grin on my face.

Mike from Boston

·
Registered
600 Posts
You Should head up 19 north from Beckley to New River Gourge Bridge for bridge day Oct 21,2006. A few Thousand People jump off every year, to bad they have cords attached. Just kidding. I live in the state and this will be my first time to go. Just to watch.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I am leaving saturday for Virginia... to pick up my new Escapade trailer....where is that steel plate ? I want to make sure I don't go that way...

cosmic

·
Registered
270 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
I am leaving saturday for Virginia... to pick up my new Escapade trailer....where is that steel plate ? I want to make sure I don't go that way...

cosmic
No reason for you to go that way.

SR 19 takes you from I-77 to I-79, from Beckley, in the middle of the WV turnpike, toward Wheeling/Pittsburg. SR 19 is a real "speed trap" also. It's advertised as the longest "speed trap" in the world.

Have a safe trip.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yes, SR19 is a real speed trap. When I came through there last October, I couldn't believe the number of cops with customers on the side of the road.

I second the recommendation of seeing the New River Gorge Bridge.

From Beckley, I rode SR16 to War WV and then on to Tazewell VA. Very interesting road and area indeed. I wouldn't want to get caught there after dark. Some of the locals didn't particularly like strangers . . . and a stranger riding solo on a shiny Gold Wing looks like a lot of wealth to those poor folks, many of whom were unemployed coal miners. My bike was worth more than their car and home combined. I've been in several third world countries (including Haiti), was raised on a poor western Indian reservation, worked in an inner city slum area. Poor is poor regardless of the region. I am a blessed man and being reminded of my roots is healthy. I did meet some really nice people there and wouldn't hesitate to ride through there again . . . it there were not so many others roads to explore.

One other warning about back-country roads in that region of the country. Watch for diesel on the roadway (apparently from the coal-hauling trucks). Several times I've encountered this and it's as bad as crossing a wet steel plate.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The steel plate was right on 19N out of Beckley. I think we were still pretty close to beckley when we hit the plate. Seems like they could put a coat of non skid paint on the plate. may only last a fe weeks, but something is better than nothing.

I second the thoughts on West Virginia. Some of the most beautiful country I have seen, and some of the most impoverished. Several of the small towns we went through look like third world countries.

The new river bridge is amazing, and the road that runs under the bridge down into the gorge. Stop at the visitor center and get a guide. Worth checking out.

Also check out this site. Lots of good info.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/index.html

·
Registered
155 Posts
Make sure you ride the road that takes you under the New River Gorge Bridge. The bridge is awesome, take pictures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts