GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Dark Side world. Why are many using snow tires for their CT choice? Is it related to the rubber compound used?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Same price

an extra 32nd of tread depth when new

lasts as long

more siping for better wet traction

slightly more rounded edges

other than that, no particular reason. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK. Thanks. At the risk of appearing once again stupid, does the run flat feature have benefits other than the obvious won't stand you on the side of the road?

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you run the 175/60/16 like I run and have a 09 or newer you have no mods on the TPMS that is factory. Or have to purchase the aftermarket one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Goldwing is an '06. Have not fit tire monitoring. My dumb question was are there other benefits to the run flat tires other than the obvious?

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
My Goldwing is an '06. Have not fit tire monitoring. My dumb question was are there other benefits to the run flat tires other than the obvious?
You stated the most obvious...not leaving you stranded. Another benefit is that the sidewalls are stiff enough that you don't have to run high air pressures to keep the sidewalls from flexing. When you run the higher pressures you often experience premature center tread wear.

Forgot to mention the handling of the bike when you do have a flat. Many if the NRF tires sidewalls will just collapse making for a real handful bringing the bike to a stop.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Same price

an extra 32nd of tread depth when new

lasts as long

more siping for better wet traction

slightly more rounded edges

other than that, no particular reason. :lol::lol:
Hey Trialsman, you forgot one.

Because we can!;):thumbup::lol:

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
OK. Thanks. At the risk of appearing once again stupid, does the run flat feature have benefits other than the obvious won't stand you on the side of the road?
Not just 'won't strand you', you have options:

If you do a search of this forum you'll find several stories by riders who rode anywhere from 20 to 200 miles with almost no air pressure.

·
IronMan
17,689 Posts
here in florida winter tires help keep us kool in summer enjoy

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
195/55/16 Dunlop winter sport is not a rounded tire and
Highly recommend a 175 or another brand . Winter tires are awesome traction till sipes go away.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
195/55/16 Dunlop winter sport is not a rounded tire and
Highly recommend a 175 or another brand . Winter tires are awesome traction till sipes go away.
Randy, you should clarify that you do not ride like the average Winger. Their sipes will last a lot longer than yours do. :lol:

I have found the Winter tires to be slightly more round than "most" of the non-Winter. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
Randy, you should clarify that you do not ride like the average Winger. Their sipes will last a lot longer than yours do. :lol:
Point well taken
I have found the Winter tires to be slightly more round than "most" of the non-Winter. :shrug:
I agree most winter tires do have a rounded edge ,except the 195 Dunnie, it's not as round as the 175 wish it did ,but it's squared off pretty well,,,,, sadly. My 195 has gotten the best milage I have ever got,this thing wears well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts