GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my youngest daughter, who has not been on a bike but a couple times, on a 150 mile ride. She absolutely enjoyed every minute of it. I get back home, she gets off the bike and I back in the garage. She is talking to me and I cut the bike off and start to lay it over on the side stand, but................forgot to put the stand down. There wasn't any bringing it back up! It went all the way to the ground! :oops: LOL. Embarrassed me to no end! Those engine guards and rear guards work!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
812 Posts
It's just a matter of time before all of us do something like this. The longer I ride the closer I am to dropping my bike. I know this fact. Every day I am increasing my odds.

Just be glad you did it in front of someone you love rather than a bunch of strangers who would laugh at you like the had never done the same :)

Jason

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
Welcome to the ever growing fraternity of "been there, done that" guys:eek:4:.

Tom

·
Registered
201 Posts
on my first brand new bike, I done that the first day that I owned it, in front of a restaraunt

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Been there done that! All you had to do was say, let me show you how easy it is to pick a big bike like this up, and that will complete our wonderful trip for the day!:thumbup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mines been on its side twice now since I got it last October. First was at a motel and I heward a page for the owner of a red goldwing come to the front desk......they took me outside and told me it"blew over". It was backed into the curb and I hour some small scratches on the trim around the trunk. Second time was my fault.......just washed the car in the driveway and then backed the wing out for it's turn. Wet concrete equals wet shoes.....went to put it on the center stand and my foot slipped off. It couldn't start leaning towards me where I might have a chance.....no......it had to lean away from me and it was all over!!!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL! I did get to show her how to pick it up. That was the first thing she ask, how YOU going to pick that thing up! She is only 12.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Try pulling up to a stop light,AND not put your feet down:oops:
Just after you proudly pass a gaggle of loud pipes saves lives group.
Most of them two up.:oops::oops:

Hey welcome to the group.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
LOL! I did get to show her how to pick it up. That was the first thing she ask, how YOU going to pick that thing up! She is only 12.
I guess this is what we could say was a teachable moment!:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
513 Posts
bummer,,,
you went from a hero to a zero in two seconds in little missy's eyes, :oops: although you may still be,, the man,, for picking that big ol' thang up all by yerself!.
no one was hurt in the melay,that is the main thing..
get out and ride again!

take care,
bc

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I just took my youngest daughter, who has not been on a bike but a couple times, on a 150 mile ride. She absolutely enjoyed every minute of it. I get back home, she gets off the bike and I back in the garage. She is talking to me and I cut the bike off and start to lay it over on the side stand, but................forgot to put the stand down. There wasn't any bringing it back up! It went all the way to the ground! :oops: LOL. Embarrassed me to no end! Those engine guards and rear guards work!! :thumbup:
Sorry but, I have to ask, did she laugh? :lol:

·
Registered
21,053 Posts
Monday i parked close to a stone wall at a goldmine near Deadwood SD, for some reason forgot to put the sidestand down, left mirror hit the wall and broke the glass, luckilly not real bad so i was able to put a little duct tape over it so the glass would not fall out and continue riding, now after 320,000 miles i need to find a good used left mirror glass :-(

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
The only bike I currently own that hasn't been over is the 72 Sportster. My most embarrassing tip-over was at an advanced rider training class. We were waiting in line to do tight figure eights. A friend dropped his bike during doing the figure eights and I hopped off mine to help him get it up. I forgot to put the side stand down. I had my 1500 up before too many people saw it.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The ysay it ain't really yours until it falls over.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is semi related. I am 18 and have had my share of crap bikes (like a 1959 BSA) for one and I bring home my BRAND NEW 1972 650 Yamaha, OK it's my pride and joy. This bike has like 74 miles on it and am giving it her first wash and wax, does it get any better than this. My older brother (not a biker type and does not have a clue about machines in general asked to take it for a ride....just down the street he say's! I love my brother and know his limitations, but I still say OK(stupid). He drives down the street at about 10 MPH, lets face it he"s shacky right from the get go. He goes down about 500' and TRIES to turn around in the street(small surburbia) and DROPS the bike,(I am already crying). Picks it up and returns and hands the bike over. I told you he was clueless about bike and machines and he tells me it aint so bad(Both blinkers are broken and a scratch and dent in the GAS TANK. He does not realize like this is equilivant to someone droping a bowling ball on the hood of your new car! It's only been 40 years and I still get a chuckle from that day. Thank God for a sence of humor.Life is making memories. My brother is my best friend still.
Jimbo Dean:thumbup: and HAPPY FATHERS day to all dads.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry but, I have to ask, did she laugh? :lol:
She laughed after she seen me laugh but she said she was scared at first thinking that it had just broken off all the plastic body parts on that side.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the replies! I don't feel so bad now! :thumbup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
At least you were able to laugh about it! A LONG time ago I bought a brand new 750K off the showroom floor, rode it next door to the gas station, jumped off like it was a bycycle, and there it goes! Not even 50 yards bfore it goes over. Nice tank customizing for no charge.And the attendants had a great laugh. Knockon wood the last 2 have not been down... YET.
Popsx3

1 - 20 of 24 Posts