GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm selling mine for sure. It is actually on E-Bay right now. Auction closes Tuesday.

So how much is it worth. It is not in showroom condition. No damage. Just some minor scuff marks from my thighs and boots. To replace the chrome covers on the sides is around 250. The wheels are not in Showroom condition. I never really cleaned them. The bike has just over 28,000 miles. It is an 05, non-ABS. The trunk, well.... I carpeted it then the carpet didn't really last. So it has glue all over it. It can be cleaned but not to showroom condition. No major scratches. Has a couple extra's. Look at the pics, www.jeffas.com/2005GL1800.htm

So help me out, I have some folks coming to look at it, what should I accept. I was thinking 13000. To high? To low?

W

·
0 Posts
FUSE said:
OK, I'm selling mine for sure. It is actually on E-Bay right now. Auction closes Tuesday.

So how much is it worth. It is not in showroom condition. No damage. Just some minor scuff marks from my thighs and boots. To replace the chrome covers on the sides is around 250. The wheels are not in Showroom condition. I never really cleaned them. The bike has just over 28,000 miles. It is an 05, non-ABS. The trunk, well.... I carpeted it then the carpet didn't really last. So it has glue all over it. It can be cleaned but not to showroom condition. No major scratches. Has a couple extra's. Look at the pics, www.jeffas.com/2005GL1800.htm

So help me out, I have some folks coming to look at it, what should I accept. I was thinking 13000. To high? To low?
This the same one that you used to ride with yellow Wolf at the gap?

Priceless!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but I just paid 13,100.00 for an 05 with 9172 miles. It also came with a Travelcade Road Sofa seat, plus the original seat. It also has some Kuryakin hwy pegs that I will replace with MOK's, and a full shop manual.

FUSE said:

·
Registered
372 Posts
No one knows. The true fair price is the point at which you are willing to sell and the buyer is willing to buy. No other way to know. If you'll "take" $13,000 but no buyer will pay more than $12,000, then $12,000 is the value (to everyone but you, the seller). On the other hand, you may be willing to take $13,000 but a buyer will pay $14,000. In that case $14,000 is the value. It also doesn't matter what someone else paid. Different geography, time, or other dynamic.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Fuse, I think you need to deduct 12,500 for the color. ( Sorry Becky). On the other hand, the next guy may pay an ectra 2500.00 to get it YELLOW! Very best of luck to you.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
With the heritage of your bike (show them the video), you should get more.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Did I just miss the reason you're selling? Tell me you're just getting a new one!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
trialsman said:
Did I just miss the reason you're selling? Tell me you're just getting a new one!
No I'm not going get a new one. I'm gonna just get a sport bike. I just don't use it like I used to. I was going to sell it about a month or so ago and decided not to after riding it. Then a month later I just can't get rid of the feeling that I want to sell it. I'm thinking of something like a 600 Katana. Something small just to sport around town on. I dont' want a liter bike or anything. The rest of the money will buy my son a 4 wheeler and a new dirt bike. Time for him to move up. We will then sell his old dirt bike.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A guy just left me house after looking at it. He was really worried about the ticking sound coming from the right side of the engine. I tried to tell him this is pretty much normal but I don't think he believed me at all. Wonder what will happen.... I think it will sell for sure. If I get 12.5 or more I will be really happy. If less oh well. I'm starting it at 11 and that was my true true bottom that I would accept. I know I should get a bit more than that though.

Ray

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
FUSE said:

My guess that you don't get a penny over 9,500.00

Not that its not in great shape but honestly if you were in the market, at what point would you just get the NEW one....

Matt(Ashland,MA)

Also, you were 100% right on that other thread about satellite radio, thanks

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
nada.com thats what dealers use. Then check cycletrader.com and see what they're selling (asking) for. I don't see how a buyer can do any better than that.

Also you'll miss the wing, I'd just keep it. I had a '03 wing and sold it after 22k miles then went to CBR,VFR, ST1300 and both Vstroms 10k miles each. I'm now back on a '05 wing and a VTX?? (comfortable)
I do miss sportbikes but am glad I'm still here to talk about it, good for riding fast on twisty roads (leave it on the track) but not much else. My old sportbike buddies did the right thing and converted bikes to track only (no lights or insurance) and don't ride street anymore just trackdays. I may get a GSXR750 someday and join them but I'm enjoying riding the wing all day in comfort and still fun in twisties in exhange for flat out power/handling/no comfort. You rode you '05 28k in one year??? sounds like you're made for a wing. I hope you plan to drop riding to less than 5k/yr on a sportbike.

Steve

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
daddysbike said:
you rode you '05 28k in one year??? sounds like you're made for a wing. I hope you plan to drop riding to less than 5k/yr on a sportbike.

Steve
Actually that's in almost two years. I bought the wing in October of 04. Put 22K on from then till Feb. of this year. Since then I've only put on 6K and 3K of that was during Honda Hoot which was only in 5 days. I use to use it as my daily commuter but this year I was transfered to downtown D.C. and no longer use it for commuting. I take Public Transportation now. Oh, and I may just quit street riding and goto track days. That is one reason I'm getting a sport bike, a used sport bike, for anticipation of doing just that. Have to wait and see if I like sport bike riding enough though.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
do you anticipate riding/training courses for the sport bike or are you experienced at that type of riding on a race track?

I ask since you commented:

Have to wait and see if I like sport bike riding enough though.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tony in AZ said:
do you anticipate riding/training courses for the sport bike or are you experienced at that type of riding on a race track?

I ask since you commented:

Have to wait and see if I like sport bike riding enough though.
No I'm not experienced in that type of riding. I would be going to some courses for this. There is a track about 1 - 2 hours away that does the courses that I will be looking into. I'll go through the courses even if I don't go to track days. Need to know how to handle the bike...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Given the way you rode the wing, you'll love the sportbike. :wink:

·
Registered
552 Posts
FUSE said:
Oh, and I may just quit street riding and goto track days. That is one reason I'm getting a sport bike, a used sport bike, for anticipation of doing just that. Have to wait and see if I like sport bike riding enough though.
Better start saving your money up right now for tires and such if you are planning on doing trackdays. It can get a little on the expensive side. You will want a "trackday" only bike that is stripped to the gills. You do not want to ride a regular street bike at the track unless you don't care if you crash or not, because you will. Everybody crashes at one time or another and it's less painful when it's a track bike rather than your daily commuter.

I suggest you and your boy get serious into dirt biking and start racing hare and hounds, enduros, and maybe a little motocross. It's way more cheaper to ride and maintain dirt bikes than it is a trackday bike.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts