GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my family and friends in NW Missouri and NE Kansas, how ya holding up with the blizzard conditions, today?

Here in the central mountains of Arizona I am ashamed to say it is currently in the mid 40's under an abundantly clear, blue sky.

Please don't hate the messenger...

- David

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Folks who get the four seasons find other things to during the winter, or brave the elements with heated clothing, etc.. Same with desert dwellers, in the heat of summer they stay indoors in daytime, and are more nocturnal if they must be outside. Or they brave the elements with AC contraptions on their bikes, etc..

I have lived in both the above environments, and do not really see much difference. Its give and take. Can't have it all.

Reactions: lyle doverspike

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
<...>Same with desert dwellers, in the heat of summer they stay indoors in daytime, and are more nocturnal if they must be outside. <...>
Nope - that's why we're up before dawn, and am ready to go when it gets to first light.

Or they brave the elements with AC contraptions on their bikes, etc.
Sweating a gallon isn't a big deal, as long as you replace it with two gallons, you're good. :D

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Nope - that's why we're up before dawn, and am ready to go when it gets to first light.

Sweating a gallon isn't a big deal, as long as you replace it with two gallons, you're good. :D
Its all just a matter of adaptation. LOL

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Time to bring out the snow skies
I love this time of the season, it's cold, snowy, and icy...........................THINK SNOW!!

O' Yea, my trike is hibernation in my garage.............She's been totally winterized, and will be ready to ride in the spring......................BUT in the meantime I'm leaving this morning to go snow skiing, for a couple of days....

Ronnie

Reactions: david vaughn

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Parts of Illinois very ugly. News 25 Peoria just reported 17,000 homes out of power due to downed power lines. Temps in the 20's and 20 plus MPH winds.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Only about 3" around Columbia, MO. Should all melt by this weekend.

·
Registered
889 Posts
My better half and I are leaving South Central Texas where it was a nice 65 degrees today and going on vacation in two weeks. We'll be landing in Manchester, NH on the 11th to possible low 20's to upper teen's for a week. Wonder how fast we can adapt to the cold. No, we're not riding. Flying in and out since we've only got a week. Looking forward to seeing real snow though. :snow1: :snow1:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heck, I was thinking about a couple of weeks in Arizona around Christmas - but, 40 degrees?

Miami FLORIDA here I come !
Kevin you're a hoot to ride with and laugh right out loud over a good RTE meal!

We are roughly 100 miles northeast of Phoenix in the central mountains of Arizona at the 5000' elevation mark. We have 4 wonderful seasons, unlike Phoenix which has 2 seasons.

Summer HOT
Fall HOT
Winter WARM
SPRING HOT

For example, while we are nearing a Winter Storm Watch later tonight into next week with daytime temps in the 30's-40's, Phoenix will have mostly sunny conditions with day temps in the 60's. At this "extremely lower temperatures", Phoenicians don multi layers of wool and down jackets, 10' wool scarves, ski pants/boots, wool and/or down filled mittens to stave off these horrid winter temps.

To me, it's kinda funny to see, but see it one will!

During Christmas, expect PHX daily temps in the 60-70F range underneath a brilliant canopy of blue and an orbiting star which never hides. Rain is occasionally present, but nothing like the right coast being surrounded by deep ocean steering weather patterns.

I expect that if you were to show up during the Christmas season, I would expect to see you in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops...which is basically my year round attire. This time of year I do put on some short socks and tennies, however.

- David

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ok, here is some snow; seen enough, going to get on the bike and head over to the lake at Benbrook....

Bbrrrrr.......

Yuck!!! Glad I don't drive like a maniac in the snow. Oh wait.....gotta have snow to drive like that. Hopefully the roads will be in better shape than that and I won't have any issues. I went out and did about 150 mile ride today. Temps got up to a balmy 70 degrees today. Felt great to be riding today!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts