GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But where does the pillion 12 volt plug go?

We both have BMW style plugs on our gear because we had a BMW.

So do I change the plugs on the gear to match the Honda plugs or do I install the
metal BMW sockets to match our gear?

And oh yeah, where does the pillion plug go?

·
Registered
794 Posts
It's your call do what you want & put it where you want to. That's what I would do & it makes sense because we all have our own taste. :serious: :surprise:

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
For the sake of cost, if for no other reason, I'd consider changing your heated gear to a 2.5 mm X 5.5 mm Male Plug. Then install a set of 2.5 mm X 5.5 mm sockets (Driver & Passenger) on the Goldwing.

The attached pictures are of the two different sockets that I've used with good success on both my Goldwing and the Harley. Also the Male Plugs can be purchased in quantity for extremely low cost. Ex: A quantity of 10 Male Plugs can typically be purchased for less than $5.00.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

I read somewhere that the drivers plug has a spot on the fuse panel.

Does the pillion have a spot also?

I am hoping to have a clear idea of what i am doing before I start taking the skin off.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
No, there is no place designated for a passenger port. I put my Powerlet port here but you will have to remove some platic underneath that is the top of the inner right saddlebag due to the depth of the socket. Moisture may pass the black insert cover in a heavy rain do at your risk. I use it for passenger heated gear, compresser for tires, a Powerlet dual usb for charging her phone or my headset on the go, and for a battery tender.

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
.....We both have BMW style plugs on our gear because we had a BMW.
So do I change the plugs on the gear to match the Honda plugs or do I install the
metal BMW sockets to match our gear?....

I was in the same situation like you, having gear with Powerlet connectors.
Instead of rewiring all my gear, I simply added two Powerlet outlets, one on each side of the bike, wired direct to the battery.
Turned out to be a good call.

Check out my thread with pics and explanation.
Jefro.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/193-2018-goldwing-board/441791-added-powerlet-sockets-sides.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts