GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Resurrecting a post from 2006 so be sure and read from the end first ;)

Well after about 6 months of debating if I wanted to continue to ride, I have decided to hang it up. It wasn't an easy decision but after much prayer as well as discussion with the family, the wife and I have decided this is best for us. I have been riding bikes since I was 9 years old so riding is almost as natural as walking; however, I have to think about my kids as much as anything. It is one thing if something happens to me - I know the dangers and have accepted the risk of riding - my kids don't understand the dangers - all they know is how much fun it is to ride so it is up to me to do what I feel is best for all involved. I no longer feel comfortable putting them in possible danger. We have been blessed to have been able to travel the past three summers as a family on bikes - covering thousands of miles and the Lord has kept us safe the whole time - it has been a great and memorable expereince for our kids and they will miss it I know - but you do what you think is best for them in the long run - even if they don't understand totally.

So anyway, I have sold my Wing (to a list member) and my trailer (to another list member) and when the wife's ride sells we will be bikeless. I have enjoyed being on this forum and meeitng many of you in person and so while I may check in occassionally I will probably be very inactive given the more I hear about you guys riding, the more I will miss my ride. :cry:

Everyone ride safe - and who knows, may see you down the road after the kids get older.

Bob

·
Registered
280 Posts
You made a great decision for the future of your family, hope all goes well for you and when the kids are grown and gone maybe we will see you on the road somewhere. Dont be too much of a stranger to the board.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I am sympathetic to your situation, however you hear of people getting killed crossing the street, getting hit by a car while sleeping in their bed at night, car accidents, lot of things a lot less dangerous than the bike, I have riden all three of my kids since they were born, my wife and I both ride and take a family vacation of 9 days every year for the past ten. so I know exactly the feelings you have, however the education and the experience we get as a family on the trips can not be denied. This is just another family persons tale, not and attempt to sway your decision any. Just remember if it is your time or anyone elses nothing you can do will stop it from happening, therefore be at peace with yourself and your maker at all times. God Bless and good luck.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hey Bob, tough decision, but you've got your priorities in place. And you know that if you've worked through this in prayer, that you're doing the right thing. Wish more folks would use that avenue of advice!

Best wishes to you and your family. Drop in once in awhile to let us know how you are doing.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Have enjoyed your posts on the OTB and elsewhere. Did not get back into riding til my kiddo's were up and gone, so I appreciate where you are coming from.

And it gives you something to look forward to: getting old like me, and back into riding. :lol: :lol:

Again, safe journey to you.

Larry

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hey Bob, I remember when you first started posting on these sites. I sure am sorry to lose you from the brotherhood of fellow GL1800 riders but will always consider you one of us. If you ever find yourself spending some time on the left coast in the Bay Area give me a hollar. You have another Illusion Blue parked out here for you to take a day ride on if you so wish.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mudbug said:
I am sympathetic to your situation, however you hear of people getting killed crossing the street, getting hit by a car while sleeping in their bed at night, car accidents, lot of things a lot less dangerous than the bike, I have riden all three of my kids since they were born, my wife and I both ride and take a family vacation of 9 days every year for the past ten. so I know exactly the feelings you have, however the education and the experience we get as a family on the trips can not be denied. This is just another family persons tale, not and attempt to sway your decision any. Just remember if it is your time or anyone elses nothing you can do will stop it from happening, therefore be at peace with yourself and your maker at all times. God Bless and good luck.
We went to Canada the two summers prior to this one and to Maine this summer - around 3000 miles on each trip - and the kids love it but I just don't feel comfortable doing it again. I always said that when I felt uncomfortable on a bike it was time for me to hang it up.

I agree - I could check out at anytime and even though I am ready to go when the Lord calls me home, I would like to stay here as long as possible and so I am trying to stay away from things that increase my risks of that not happening. I have always taken care of myself health wise - don't smoke, don't drink, get lots of exercise, etc. - now it is time to look at other things that I might be doing that I feel I shouldn't - biking is one of those.

My decision isn't the one everyone else needs to make for themselves but it is for me right now.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Take care Blue and good luck on whatever your future brings.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hell, it's only a bike. You made the right choice. If you're not comfortable with the risk the decision was already made. You can always take the money and get a convertible or a boat or some other diversion that you and the family can do together.

Maybe you could get a few quads and a trailer and you all can boonie bash as a family.

Whatever, don't look back.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Your answer came through prayer and you listened.

That is the sign of a great man.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Bob,
You have your priorities in order :!:
Rich K ( Wing Ski )

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Will miss you on the boards, so don't be a stranger.

I can understand your decision.

God Bless you and your family.

Dep

·
Registered
245 Posts
Completely understand....I too laid off riding until my son got older. He is 20 now.

Get you an RV, and have a blast touring the USA with your family, you will love it!

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
jwen said:

Very well said. Nothing but respect.

·
Registered
328 Posts
William Anzik said:
jwen said:

Very well said. Nothing but respect.
I have to agree...we all understand, as this goes through every riders mind...Good luck and God Bless.

If you feel the need to have the wind blow through your hair, consider a convertible sportscar...still a lot of fun in the twisties... :p

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Good luck to you and the family. I had a 20 year blank while the kids were home. I totally understand and respect your decision. Enjoy the family with whatever hobby you select.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
As said earlier, it takes a "real man" to do what he thinks best for his family. Kudos, sir.

Have you thought about dirt bikes? No need to go cold turkey entirely, might just feed that addiction a little. Safest, most family oriented and least expensive is Observed Trials. If you would like to find out more, PM me and I'll hook you up with someone near you.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Take Care Bob..... Happy Trails to you, wherever they may lead.

·
Registered
601 Posts
You made the right choice, no doubt about it.
Good Luck to You and your Family.

Reading some of the posts on here, I take it that there are a lot of people that have halted their riding for the sake of raising their children, then picked back up once they were grown.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts