GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting observation. I first joined this forum after I bought my Goldwing back in 2002. Back then most of the posting was about modifications, aftermarket stuff, places to ride, eat... etc. Kind of a family atmosphere. I haven't been frequenting this forum for a year or so.

Now if you look at the topics, we have a couple of gun threads, a thread on best way to hurt stupid kids and a pack mentality ad hominem attack on a guy who dared express his opinion (right or wrong).

This isn't the same place I left... you guys have gotten as bad as some of the HD forums.

Blast away. I'm sure I can depend on it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Dick wrote
Interesting observation. I first joined this forum after I bought my Goldwing back in 2002. Back then most of the posting was about modifications, aftermarket stuff, places to ride, eat... etc. Kind of a family atmosphere. I haven't been frequenting this forum for a year or so.

Now if you look at the topics, we have a couple of gun threads, a thread on best way to hurt stupid kids and a pack mentality ad hominem attack on a guy who dared express his opinion (right or wrong).
Most of the postings are STILL about the Wing and all the things you can do to it. There are also posts setting up rides or meet and greets among the members of the forum.

The posts you mentioned are a very small percentage of what gets posted.

As for attacking someone who posted their opinion, it looked more to me like folks were standing up for someone on the board that they respect.
Besides, the original poster has already taken care of any misunderstandings.

I hope you hang around and see that the board isn't much different at all.

Dep

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Hal and LaMonster gave us an "Off Topic Board" for a while but there were some who couldn't play nice, so they took it away.

Like a lot of things in life, a few spoil it for the rest of us :cry:

Welcome back

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Dick Fowler said:
It's the same Wing now as it was a couple of years ago. How many times can you talk about the same options and mods? Guess you missed Fred's picture essay? Places to eat? I'm on a diet! :oops: :lol:
Now if you look at the topics, we have a couple of gun threads, a thread on best way to hurt stupid kids...
And, what makes this less than a "family atmosphere" - unless you're Mr. Cleaver...
...and a pack mentality ad hominem attack on a guy who dared express his opinion (right or wrong.)
That's an interesting spin-n-n-n. IMO, HE was the one attacking and pretty much everyone else was expressing an opinion.
This isn't the same place I left...
Well, you know what they say: "You can't go back."
you guys have gotten as bad as some of the HD forums.
O-o-o-o-h!!! Now, THERE'S a nice, thoughtful, calming comment! :roll:
Blast away. I'm sure I can depend on it.
Self-fulfilling prophesy???

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I don't know...I learned all about the Wing here..what to buy, what to do to it for better performance, etc...it is like a family... we know when people are going through hard times: sicknesses, deaths, family in Iraq...this forum offers support beyond what a motorcycle forum would... I don't see anything negative about it...99% of the people are great.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Simple.........Read the posts your interested in. I passed over the Arizona ride on the 25th.....I'm in Michigan.............Stuffed animals ......not interested............Which OIL........oops :oops:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Some of "those posts" have found their way onto this board because there is no off topic section anymore.

Too bad, I always found the OTB to be very entertaining.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I try not to worry about it. its just a website. Hal and Lamont do their best to keep the crap from coming on here and they do occasionally remove posts and users (multiple times if needed). Now that we don't have a Off Topic Board, people are posting junk on the main general page.

But I guess....Im not going to complain because what is there to complain about? People being themselves? I got a rather unhappy PM today because someone was mad about my opinion on a computer program I posted in a reply the other day. Jeesh. Just shows who is who on here.
Its not the end of the world and it could be worse.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
If all we talked about was "Wings" I think that I would get bored quite easily.

There are other boards with stricter rules and Moderators that pull a post quicker than one can say "Yikes". I choose to be here not over there.

Mr Fowler, I went and read your thirty something posts. Not many of them are strictly wing or motorcycle oriented. Good on you!

Also, when most of us old geezers joined the old board, the Wing was new, young and we were working out the bugs and improving an already pretty nice machine. Today, most of the mystery is gone and we are comfortable in our boots, taking it to a social level as well.

Glad you are back and hope that you find something of redeeming value.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
We are what, Five or more years into this model wing?

There has been a bunch of ground covered. A new vastly changed model and things will go back to where they were years back......... I guarantee it.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
JustRalph said:
We are what, Five or more years into this model wing?

There has been a bunch of ground covered. A new vastly changed model and things will go back to where they were years back......... I guarantee it.
Yeah right back to trying to figure out which oil to use and when to change it again...

:lol:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just think winter is just getting started. The boredom is just begun.
If I didn't have the flew I would be riding. (75) today

I forgot to flame you, sorry I'm to sick, maybe later.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dick Fowler said:
. . . you guys have gotten as bad as some of the HD forums . . .

:shock:

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts

this guy was next to the garage as I pulled out the new VTX for the first ride today!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts