GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Doesn't know how to ride it and doesn't know how to lift it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I'm amazed he was able to upright the GW, especially given his slippery footing. Obviously he was stout enough to muscle it up, and certainly was not scared of the bike. Pretty sure he was familiar with the crossing, to include where the roughest spots were. He also seemed to know when he reached a point where he could throttle up and out of the creek. My hat is off to him.

I agree with mtrraci in post #3, would not have even been on that road on my GW, but after seeing this guy, maybe I am being too much of a wuss. I am thankful to have never laid mine down in 72,000 miles (knock wood). But maybe I need to go out and practice laying it down, repeatedly. Getting used to the experience may reduce some of the angst I have always had about laying it down. Problem is, I'd need AAA to come and pick it up each time. LOL

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The way he lifted the bike is a sure fire way to throw out your back.......not good.
Of course in a panic nobody seems to follow the correct procedures.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The way he lifted the bike is a sure fire way to throw out your back.......not good.
Of course in a panic nobody seems to follow the correct procedures.
Often in "panic mode" we can do things we ordinarily can't/wouldn't. When we do, we don't notice it until later after the adrenaline flow is over. Then the pain(s) of reality settle in and last much longer.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Doesn't know how to ride it and doesn't know how to lift it.
Well, that's hard to say. Obviosly he had enough time to calculate the speed needed to get the front wheel on plane, which, in this case would have been 38.7 MPH. He had enough runway to achieve this speed and continually put power to the water without the benefit of a knobby rear tire. The body of water was short enough that the speed would have carried him across 92% of the way. What I see here is pure laziness, dummy forgot to pack the slide rule for the trip.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Stand on the pegs, dirt bike style, and a tic more speed, keep moving...
Yep, would appear no dirt bike riding experience at all... focus on keeping the front wheel straight... and if you start to faultier, apply more power... Water, gravel, or dirt etc... you frequently should be up on the pegs...

Course, the excessive farkles making it top heavy didn't help... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
50 Posts
"What did he do wrong"?

Things that come to my mind.:rolleyes:

First he flinched.
Not enough speed.
Wrong bike for riding through flooded road crossings.
He panicked when he dropped the bike. (picking up a heavy bike like that, is agood way to warrant a chiropractic visit)
Did that move with witnesses present to record the event.

Thanks for posting. :)
Good way for everyone to learn from others mistakes.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Only way I'd attempt such a feat would be in an emergency; even then, I'd wanna walk the planned path first. As for how he picked up the GW, slippery creek rocks are sometimes even hard to walk on without slipping and falling. Had he tried to lift it the, "correct way" we are all taught, he'd likely have busted his azz repeatedly, and still not got it uprighted. What he really needed was for his camera holding friend to give him a hand. Easy to arm chair quarterback here, but we oughta try it ourselves before critiquing this guy too harshly. Again, avoidance woulda been the best approach, IMHO. But it appears they were all just having fun.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts