GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Except he didn't use the cop technique.
Yeah, I see what you're saying, but the way he used his whole body as leverage was akin to the way the Aruba cops do with the Meye lift. That's what I was trying to convey. And pushing with your body doesn't hurt your back either if you use your whole body and legs, keeping your back straight and not hunched over. The Aruba cops mention that aspect of it in the video.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I sure am getting lots of attention, I really feel lots of love! Did I tell you guys that I run 15-40 Rotella, a radar detector, and a car tire? And just to watch some heads implode I love the Dragon and I pass on double yellows!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Picking up a Goldwing with brute force can do a lot of damage. I had a tipover and was so upset, despite the bike being undamaged, that even at 77 years old and with multiple ailments, I picked the bike up. It wasn't until later in the day that I found I could barely life my right arm. I had torn the rotator cuff in the right shoulder, a problem that continues to plague me. So far I have been able to avoid a "reverse shoulder replacement" which is the only thing that will fix the issue according to several orthopedic surgeons.

Maybe I too am a wuss, but I avoid dirt roads totally, and gravel roads almost as diligently. The Goldwing is just too heavy for me to feel comfortable on anything but real pavement. For that very reason I am likely going to trade in my Wing this coming Spring for something lighter, like 500 pounds that will be less intimidating on less than perfect roadways. And maybe a bike that I can check and add air to the rear tire without having to lay flat on my back on the ground and maneuver so that I can get my right hand where it can put the air hose on the stem.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I sure am getting lots of attention, I really feel lots of love! Did I tell you guys that I run 15-40 Rotella, a radar detector, and a car tire? And just to watch some heads implode I love the Dragon and I pass on double yellows!
Except for passing on double yellow, to each his own.

Reactions: remoandiris

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
'Tis better to be silent... ;)

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
431 Posts
Geez......never thought there would be this kind of response to my initial post.
You'd of thought I started an oil thread or something........ 😄
Did someone say Oil??? <perking up>

Reactions: Brian_Fenner

·
Vendor
18,113 Posts
OK ... lets go over the 4 rules that apply to riding a 5th gen GL1800.
1. They only like pavement, as in a hard surface
2. At 0mph, the bars must be pointing straight ahead
3. If coming into a curve to hot, push harder
4. When parking, come to a stop in 1st gear with clutch in. Lower the side stand to kill the engine. Release the clutch, and allow the Wing to roll and take up all drive-train slack. Now set the stand, and turn the ignition off.

He definitely broke rule #1, which cause him to break rule #2, which also caused him to fault #4. Break a rule and the Wing might go down.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
OK ... lets go over the 4 rules that apply to riding a 5th gen GL1800.
1. They only like pavement, as in a hard surface
2. At 0mph, the bars must be pointing straight ahead
3. If coming into a curve to hot, push harder
4. When parking, come to a stop in 1st gear with clutch in. Lower the side stand to kill the engine. Release the clutch, and allow the Wing to roll and take up all drive-train slack. Now set the stand, and turn the ignition off.

He definitely broke rule #1, which cause him to break rule #2, which also caused him to fault #4. Break a rule and the Wing might go down.
Them thar' is Florida rules. We just ride 'em here in Kaintucky. If we get one stuck we just hook a strap to the next one and pull it out. And we don't check the oil. Change it after every drop in the creek and go on. We never check it, it's either full or on the road. ;=)

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
So why didnt the people filming it get off their asses and help this guy out?
What, and ruin the fun of laughing at your riding partner ??? That's what makes for good "Remember when? " stories. Besides, if they was a'helping, we wouldn't have the video... 🤔🤣

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
So why didnt the people filming it get off their asses and help this guy out?
I did not need help. No need for everyone to have wet feet. We were just out having fun. They were smart enough not to get in the creek. Why does everyone think I panicked? What kind of oil do you run? ;=)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Back when I had my 92 1500 I was leading a group of our GWRRA Chapter in the Texas Hill Country and we went down a seldom used road. Came across a small creek with a one car lane bridge. Water running over it was about an inch deep. My 12 year old daughter was enjoying the passenger seat. We all stopped, surveyed the bridge and I said, I'll go first to cross. I go down to the bridge and was going to coast across. The bridge was about 2 feet below where we had stopped. I get onto the cement surface of the bridge and had to give a little gas to begin to climb up the other side. What happens was frightful. The bike spun a 180 degree now looking back at my friends. My right foot was on the very edge of the bridge and it was a good 2-3 deep of water flowing below. I was stopped and was afraid to give it gas to get back out off the bridge for fear the rear wheel would slide and my daughter and I would end up laying in the creek with the bike on top of us. By brave comrades came to the rescue by pushing the bike back to where it was safe to drive out. Needless to say we headed back the way we came. Bottom line. The water crossing over that bridge was not so deep that it made it unsafe. But the moss build up turned everything else into a slippery moment to never forget.
Pretty sure I know exactly where that bridge is. That hill country creek water sure is clear isn't it?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Why stand on the pegs? What’s that do for you here, or more generally, anytime?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why stand on the pegs? What’s that do for you here, or more generally, anytime?
Standing on the pegs lowers your center of gravity on the bike. Even though you're standing up your weight is transferred from up high at seat level to down low at the pegs. This makes the bike easier to control from leaning or moving side to side. That's why dirt bike and adv bike riders do that.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts