GL1800Riders Forums banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
What I don't get about this thread is how many people there are that can't or won't do what this guy has done on his wing yet critique everything he should or shouldn't have done.
Looking at posts here so far, it seems grumpy, armchair quarterbacks are well represented. I'll go out on a limb and speculate that it has to do with winter weather and being cooped up inside, unable to go out and ride our own motorcycles. Fresh air, sunlight and exercise does wonders for mood, and most of us ain't gettin much of that nowadays. LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Several of the routes in the Rustic Roads program that the state of Wisconsin's DOT puts on are gravel / dirt with river crossings.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I have instinctively stood on the Wing's pegs a few times in dicey situations. It's a reflex from my dirt bike days. It works on dirt bikes but I doubt if it makes much difference on a 900# behemoth.
I disagree... standing up gives you more visibility to see what you are crossing, gives you more leverage on the handlebars, and shifts YOUR weight much lower on the bike, makes it easier to manage the bike just like you do with a dirt bike. The effect may be "less" but I think it is noticeable...

Can be tested... go through some water, mud, or sand sitting down, and then do it standing up... even though it's a GW, I think you'll finding it is easier, and you are much less likely to drop the bike, when you are standing up.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
^ I half agree. I'm tall and very uncomfortable standing on my Goldwing. I have to bend over and squat way too much. Maybe it's some lack of athleticism and skill, too, but I have less control in practice. Though in theory all the goodness could be there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I disagree... standing up gives you more visibility to see what you are crossing, gives you more leverage on the handlebars, and shifts YOUR weight much lower on the bike, makes it easier to manage the bike just like you do with a dirt bike. The effect may be "less" but I think it is noticeable...

Can be tested... go through some water, mud, or sand sitting down, and then do it standing up... even though it's a GW, I think you'll finding it is easier, and you are much less likely to drop the bike, when you are standing up.
Nope. Standing up "...gives the rider more control over the bike’s mass which gives the perception of a lower centre of gravity when, in fact, it is the opposite.” Wonderful for dirt bikes:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I would NOT attempt this with a touring bike like the Goldwing.......
But IMHO he went to slow to keep it stable.

Anyone know who this is?

He should have turned the foglights on BEFORE he entered the puddle. Would have made all the difference.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
He should have turned the foglights on BEFORE he entered the puddle. Would have made all the difference.
They were on when I went in. I always leave them on when going underwater so I can see what's under there, don't want to run over some endangered species of fish. A couple of these guys would get all tore up about that. I probably hit the switch when standing it back up.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Nope. Standing up "...gives the rider more control over the bike’s mass which gives the perception of a lower centre of gravity when, in fact, it is the opposite.” Wonderful for dirt bikes:

You pulled the one snippet out of that article that appears to contradict @Destindoc , but that's a pedantic statement over-simplifying the actual dynamics and out of context. I was glad to see the article has much more depth to it and in the end supports @Destindoc 's statement.

Yes, the CG of the bike + standing rider is technically higher. But it is not a rigid system so that CG doesn't really exist that way if the rider is the slightest bit dynamic. The the bike under the dynamic standing rider (isolated by four shock absorber) with a low weight transfer of the rider weight into the bike at the pegs results in a lower CG of the (bike + rider's weight) system relative to the (bike + more rigid sitting rider) system with its more rigidity and its chunk of higher butt weight transfer. It's an apples and oranges things. Or maybe apples and carbureutors.

Granted, a standing up right doing stupid things with rigid arms and legs could create a high CG to do more harm! But the goodness isn't throttled by Physics 101.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You pulled the one snippet out of that article that appears to contradict @Destindoc , but that's a pedantic statement over-simplifying the actual dynamics and out of context. I was glad to see the article has much more depth to it and in the end supports @Destindoc 's statement.

Yes, the CG of the bike + standing rider is technically higher. But it is not a rigid system so that CG doesn't really exist that way if the rider is the slightest bit dynamic. The the bike under the dynamic standing rider (isolated by four shock absorber) with a low weight transfer of the rider weight into the bike at the pegs results in a lower CG of the (bike + rider's weight) system relative to the (bike + more rigid sitting rider) system with its more rigidity and its chunk of higher butt weight transfer. It's an apples and oranges things. Or maybe apples and carbureutors.

Granted, a standing up right doing stupid things with rigid arms and legs could create a high CG to do more harm! But the goodness isn't throttled by Physics 101.
Thank you for a tome perfectly illustrating the actual meaning of the otherwise inapposite use of the word "pedantic." The article, in its entirety, was attached for all to read and appreciate. Nuanced and well written we can all agree. It will be most useful the next time one decides to go on a motocross, or ADV ride with the Goldwing.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
^ @FL_RedWing , it's a good article well linked.

Ride on!

/Edit: P.S. yeah, you're right. Bad usage. Certainly some applicability of the word in that it was caring too much about correcting a small detail. But there wasn't any of the other baggage (mostly negative) of most pedants. And it wasn't correcting, per se, particularly since the detail was N/A or incorrect. So, yeah, overall, it was inapposite. Good one. Edit/

·
Registered
187 Posts
You should see what he does on our rides. That’s the reason we let him lead so we can laugh our a** off at him. I’ve got another video of him going though another creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
You should see what he does on our rides. That’s the reason we let him lead so we can laugh our a** off at him. I’ve got another video of him going though another creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those guys that stay on the shore don't know what fun is! Never did have any interest in being bored.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Isn’t this what adventure bikes were meant to do? Not a behemoth like a GL1800.

Probably first off, his confidence level wasn’t there. And of course, forward momentum was lacking.

I’m with the riders here who commented they wouldn’t do it. Not without a Honda Africa Twin. Standing on the pegs.

Reactions: Duckster

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Isn’t this what adventure bikes were meant to do? Not a behemoth like a GL1800.

Probably first off, his confidence level wasn’t there. And of course, forward momentum was lacking.

I’m with the riders here who commented they wouldn’t do it. Not without a Honda Africa Twin. Standing on the pegs.
I definately think he is nuts, but since he went across and turned around and came back across I think too much confidence might be the problem. Definately an arrogant ba*tard.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Dang Donnie - one more post and you'll break a hundred. Or for you backwoods kentuckians, a hunnert. 😉🤣😈

81 - 100 of 103 Posts