GL1800Riders Forums banner

So, What is the Hot Setup?

4K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Rubenh91 
#1 · (Edited)
Almost ready for a new set of sneakers. I ran two sets of Bridgestones and got 7,500 miles out of them. Grips was fine but had nasty wobble and pulling right with both sets. Now on E3s. Will get 10,000 miles. But slippery in the rain. Thinking about trying a set of Metzler 880s or 888s, but considering a wider rear tire.

I don't care about getting a plusher ride. I would like better grip in the rain, better mileage and increased low speed stability. I would REALLY like for my stock (and paid for) Honda TPM to keep protecting me. Wondering about the Alpin or Perelli WinterSport (?) rear. Don't know what to do about the front but do NOT want to risk another Bridgestone. I don't HAVE to have a run flat. I do value the effortless steering of a MC tire. I mostly use my bike for commuting and do not drag pegs. I do enjoy parking lot practice stuff with tight turns and circles. Just good cheap fun.

Suggestions?

#2 ·
i run bridgestones driveguard on rear bt 45 on front

#3 ·
Based on your description, I believe you would be served well by the Yokohama AVID ENVigor ZPS or the Michelin Alpin. Of course, if you still want to rely upon the Honda TPMS, I suggest that you reverse-register the sensors to prevent annoying alerts from the rear tire. However, I am a bit uncertain about your front tire choice, as your mileage from previous sets indicate you are not a casual rider, so I don't believe a high mileage solution like a BT-45 would work for you. My personal choice is the G709, but I primarily ride the mountains of NC/GA. Perhaps other might chime in on suitable front tire choices.

#4 · (Edited)
Elrod. Thanks for chiming in. Yes, I do seem to go through tires faster than some. Hadn't thought of the Avid ENVigor. Are you not recommending the Falken because I am looking for better mileage?

Uncle John. I'll check into the Driveguard.

Yoko below.

Bridgestone below.

#5 ·
Are you not recommending the Falken because I am looking for better mileage?
No, not at all. The Falken is a high performance non-runflat. Your riding description did not indicate a need for a high performance tire, so I did not recommend it. Some folks go with NRFs because they are relatively inexpensive; however, in the event of a sudden loss of air, they are very hard to handle. Not worth the risk to me. The Yoko is a little more firm than the Alpin and a little stiffer ride. I have no experience with the Driveguard, so others would have to comment on that one. From what I have heard others say, it sounds to be sort of between the Alpin and the Yoko.

#6 · (Edited)
A front tire that I think is often over looked is the Avon Cobra. The Bridgestone G709 is great, but my last one was gone at 5,200 miles.

A Cobra will last between 8,000-12,000 miles depending on the type of riding I'm doing. I used one on the trip to California last Fall, which lasted through the Harrison Gathering in October and got 12,000 miles. The same trip with a Bridgestone would have given me around 8,000, and probably would have been gone before the Harrison event.

I have one mounted for the Rogers Ride In and so for really like the way it handles in the curves.

There was a time when they were so expensive that I didn't feel like they were worth it, but the price has come down some. My last Cobra was purchased for close to the same price as a G709.

I would agree with Elrod on the BT45. While it is a great high mileage tire, if you like riding the curves then it will be toast pretty quick.

Something I would like to add ... If you ride in the rain a lot, the G709 is unbeatable. While I have not had much experience with the Cobra and rain, the G709 will allow you to scrap pegs with a good rear tire of course and keep on trucking.

#7 ·
BT45 how is it in the rain? I guess I'm a flatlander 90% Indiana doesn't have to many curves by me, and wife doesn't like the constant scraping when I do. So with my rear Alpine with only 2/32 gone in 13k that says I ride straight most of the time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Jeff, I probably spend more time in the rain then most riders and the BT 45 works fine for my "flatland" freeway riding.....a little harsher ride at 41 psi with twice the mileage of the 409. But it does have a tendency to slip a little in the wet if you push it in the corners or find a slick wet spot in a turn. Because I spend so much time in the rain I'm going back to the 409, but if I was not doing 8K plus in the wet every year I'd keep it.

#9 ·
:I am not an expert on car tires , BUT I just mounted the Yoko Envigor ZPS on the rear of my bike and only have ridden maybe 65 miles on it BUT I do have to admit that I actually like it..
i was very unsure If I really wanted to follow the crowd and mount a ct on the rear of my bike, but a friend offered me a rear Goldwing rim, with the understanding that i mount a ct on it and try it.. Thank you Roadrunner 1800 (Allen)...
Well after a nice ride, thru the twisties, following a couple of Harleys, I honestly found this tire to do it all............I'M IMPRESSED!
:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Ronnie

Reactions: Cajunhog
#11 ·
Does anyone else find the transition during counter-steer from side to side with the GW set up Double Darkside much smoother and more MT like feeling compared to only going with the CT on the rear & a regular front tire on the front ? I found this to be the case both with an Alpin on the rear & Yoko Envigor on the rear . I've had no troubles in the rain either . Of course here is South Louisiana the rain is plentiful but the twisty roads are not [emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I found it to be just the opposite , but I suspect we have very different riding styles .

#15 ·
Thanks MrBaldwyn. We do ride in the rain but nothing like you do out there. They surely less slippery than the dun E3 I have on the front now.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I run the Metz 888 up front & the Mich Alpin RF in the rear, never had a problem wet or dry, 2 up, towing a Bushtec in all kinds of weather..
Running 38 psi up front 31 psi in the rear, I get 30K from the Alpin:grin2:

#17 ·
Honestly.....but if you ride conservatively enough to get 30K out of a tire, you probably wouldn't have slipping problems on an E3 or a D250 either

By definition, slipping occurs when the lateral, acceleration or deceleration force exceeds the friction coefficient (grip) of the tire to the road.

Getting 30K out of a tire somewhat guarantees you don't accelerate, decelerate or corner as hard as the people that are only getting 6-10K out of the same tire. As such, you don't require as high of grip to keep you from slipping and it makes sense you've never slipped.

#18 ·
2 wheelnutt,
get your pink slip ready & I'll meet you on the Needles Hiway in the Black Hills lol lol & you'll see how I ride !!!! lol lol
or better yet come to Rt 97 in NY state..lol lol

#19 ·
LOL....

Seriously...no offense meant but your mileage on a tire does suggest you probably aren't regularly exiting a turn at 3500-4000 RPM at full throttle.

It doesn't mean you don't have the ability to ride like that of course, just that you don't normally do so.

Either that... or maybe you just have some other secret to longer tire life that the rest of us would love to know.

#27 ·
I put on Yoko Envigor in August 2015 it now has over 14,000 miles on it and I am quite happy with it. I rode 8000 mile tour of the western states and am a Patriot Guard Rider riding in all kinds of weather. It is much better on gravel, grass and dirt than a motorcycle tire and in my opinion rain as well. I run 32 psi in the rear tire.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.