GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Wisconsin their warning of a massive heat wave this week in the mid 90's and high dew points,
and I'm thinking, I'll bet my riding brother's in the Southwest would laugh at temps like this and would think it's winter............:thumbup:.........:snow1: .....:biker:.............:superman1:

Maybe it's time to head closer to the Great Lakes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Will be 100+ again here again today (14 days in a row with 100+) and 32 days this year with the 100+ temps.
I do ride but drink plenty of water and wear long sleeved shirt, white helmet.
Just goes with the territory here in central Texas.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
From Maine and it has been 80's and some 90's last 2 weeks of vacation. I ride in mornings and evenings. Leave the afternoons for using the pool. Always thought living in the south would be great. But not anymore, showing my age.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Wow, never thought Louisiana would be one of the cooler spots in the U.S. ! Right now its only 88 and 63% humidity (Heat Index of 96). Feel sorry for you folks in the midwest.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I ride to Georgetown, Texas every day for Radeiation therapy and when I got back to little river the Honda read 100. Its hot but fun:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Here in Wisconsin their warning of a massive heat wave this week in the mid 90's and high dew points,
and I'm thinking, I'll bet my riding brother's in the Southwest would laugh at temps like this and would think it's winter............:thumbup:.........:snow1: .....:biker:.............:superman1:

Maybe it's time to head closer to the Great Lakes.
Pretty close....We should be around 107F with 15% RH today, kinda normal for this time of year. Mid 90's is like a Spring time ride :).

I just looked up the Madison forecast....92F with RH 58%. That gives a wet bulb temp of under 80F, keep your LDC wet and keep moving, you should be able to ride comfortably.

BTW our 103F with 21% RH tomorrow gives a web bulb only about 7F cooler than yours. Still a good riding day.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Here in Wisconsin their warning of a massive heat wave this week in the mid 90's
Mid 90's..."massive heatwave". Here in central Texas that's considered a cold front. 102 again today and I'm on my way out the door to go riding. I guess it's all about what your used to.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
100+ is a way of life here in Arizona but the low humidity makes it semi-tolerable. Leave the house early, head to the high country where temps are lower (3 degrees lower for each 1000' in altitude), wear clothing to keep the sun off the skin and drink lots of H2O!

·
Registered
642 Posts
After riding home from WD33 last week with once seeing 103 on the temp, the ride yesterday with the tops of 94 felt like an October ride. Just be thankfull you are only at that mid 90 point!! However, it's still all relative and don't push it if you aren't condition for it!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Southeast Texas

Houston=Hot=Dry.
Attached Thumbnails

True, it's been darn dry in Houston this year, with regard to rain. But don't let that fool you. It's muggy. All the darn time. And believe me, sitting in Houston super-slab stop-and-go traffic it gets stifling. Especially in full gear! Mesh is key. And, despite the conventional wisdom on white vs black helmets, I can tell you that in stop-and-go traffic you gotta have white.

The worst situation here however, is when there's rain. Or the chance of rain. There's no waterproof gear made that is truly breathable. I've used cooling vests, with some success. However, I'm now at the point of just getting wet and bringing a change of clothes for work.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Here on the left coast it was 72 yesterday with a nice ocean breeze. I feel for those of you in the high humidity. The heat is not an issue for me as long as it's a 'dry' heat. Once the temp is into the 70's the humidity is a killer for me. If it's dry I can ride comfortably into the triple digits. 117 is the highest temp I've ridden in, but I did see my wing display a temp of 131 after sitting in a parking lot for about 10 minutes of 100 degree heat.:nojoke:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Riding in the heat

It's a rare day that I don't jump on the bike and ride somewhere. Every Tuesday I do a group ride to eat. We normally ride at least 150 miles, sometimes as much as 240 miles on our "Geezer" rides. It's all about how much you enjoy getting on that thing and going.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Who's riding in that heat and following the ATTGAT rule ?

It was only 88F with however high humidity ( feels like 96F ) and we looked like alien with all our gear my wife and I :p

We were somewhat comfortable when moving, but in traffic................:eek:4:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
i guess i am a wimp---i just don't do the heat well, and do not enjoy riding in the heat. it's not too bad if you are moving but you quickly feel like melting any time you stop.
I and my riding friends ride more in the fall, winter, and spring. we only go for early am breakdast rides in the dead of the summer.

i may be a wimp, but i am not going to have a heat related injury!! i have seen some people who have had heat exhaustion, and a couple who have had a full blown heat stroke---not a pretty sight!!! and you never fully recover from a heat stroke even if you survive.
riding is a HOBBY/PASTIME for me, so i choose to ride when i enjoy riding.

everyone is free to ride when and how they want to; but look for me on the warm to cold days! you won't find me on the brutally hot days!
And i am getting ready to buy LD comfort stuff-but you still won't see me on the really hot days!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Heat

Left the house at 8am rode up to Door County, made a circle and was back by noon. 188 miles, high temp of 89 and very humid. Saw quite a few bikes on the road. Now I'll spend the rest of the day in the house. :coffee1::coffee1: PS: We were wearing our High Vis jackets/helmets/gloves/jeans and I WAS VERY HOT, but I guess safe....:)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
So......Who rides in This Heat?????
What heat????? Still waiting for summer.:nojoke: The weather here has really sucked this year.:banghead::banghead::rain1:

·
Registered
205 Posts
My wife and I just finished the last leg of our 3000 mile vacation... Amarillo back to Dallas yesterday and hit 109 (according to the Wing). We DO wear all our gear all the time and add evaporative vests under the jackets. It's warm, but keeps us from getting dehydrated and avoids heatstroke. The rest of the vacation in New Mexico and Colorado was worth the trouble.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Who's riding in that heat and following the ATTGAT rule ?

It was only 88F with however high humidity ( feels like 96F ) and we looked like alien with all our gear my wife and I :p

We were somewhat comfortable when moving, but in traffic................:eek:4:
I ride ATGATT year around, will not mount the bike without full gear and most of our year you would consider the temps as being high.

A common miss-conception is that it is hotter ATGATT than not, also there is a miss-conception that mesh is cooler. Mesh is only cooler than textile when the temps are below the high 80's/low 90's F, temps above mid 90s textile is cooler than mesh and above mid 90's textile ATGATT is very much cooler than riding in jeans and a t-shirt.

A couple of weeks ago I did a BBG for BBQ RTE across AZ, NM, and TX with mid-day temps in the high 100's and at no time did I notice the heat because I know how to use evaporation and control air flow and I wear ATGATT gear that works.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts