GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is the question. Not sure which I want to buy and would like to here your thoughts on the two. Not really interested in which brand cause I know which brand I am going to buy. Oh, and this is for heated items. Thx kniterider for pointing that out.

thx in advance

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Are you asking about heated items sir? if so I have had both gerbings heated socks and now have the heated insoles by another company

·
Registered
401 Posts
insoles

Insoles, unless you like washing the socks by hand every day you ride.
...gene

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
That was my suggestion too MUCH easier to rinse off the gel insoles in the sink and they dry almost instantly plus in the socks you can feel the wires as you get off the bike and walk around

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have the insoles, I just bought the socks. While the insoles kept my feet bottoms warm, my toes and tops of the feet got cool no matter how hot I turned them up. I'm pretty sure I'll get more overall warmth from the socks(I hope)!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Insoles, unless you like washing the socks by hand every day you ride.
...gene
That was my thinking, so I went with insoles.
I was surprised at how tight they are in my boot. Sidi Canyons. Fit me great with a medium thick sock. I took the Sidi insole out (very thin, that's probably part of the problem), put the Gerbings in, and they're VERY tight. Even switching to a very thin sock.
I'm OK with the heating aspect of them (bottom of foot vs. top) though definitely you need a controller, not just off/on.
The problem with trying them out first is to get them into a boot you may have to trim them, e.g. my size 12 is the bottom end of the 12-14 size and you have to cut it down. I guess you could try for fit with the uncut next size down insole. But I would suggest trying them on to see how they work for you.
The last thing you want in the cold is a too tight boot.
Socks may have a similar problem, I don't know, haven't tried them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I switched from socks to insoles. The socks felt like they were burning the tops of my feet, even at a lower power level. The insoles work much better for me.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have been riding since 1961 and I have seen about everything that can happen to a rider. So, I always ask myself: : "What would it be like to walk 5 miles in this boot?" If the answer isn't favorable, I move on. If it's favorable, I then ask: "If I dump the bike will it protect my ankles and feet?" If both of these questions are favorable, I then look at all the other factors.

That's just me though.;)

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
And insoles go better with sandals too ;)!

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
I've had both, the insoles seem more convenient, put them in and pretty much forget about them until heat is needed, yesterday I rode over 400 miles, temperature 21-35 degrees, non insulated non waterproof redwing boots, after the first 150 miles my feet were kinda cold even with the heated insoles so I put on harley boot covers, with the boot covers blocking the wind my feet were nice and warm.
I think the socks are warmer but kinda uncomfortable walking, if I had to walk very far would most likely change to regular socks.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I went with the insoles & they are pretty comfortable with what walking I have done in them. You will need a controller because they will get too hot without one. Hooked to my Gerbings pant liner & using the jacket liner & gloves it is head to toe comfort riding in the 20's. I had mine in uninsulated Redwing work boots, imagine you could run them a little lower in an insulated boot like the Sidi Onroad or similar & still be comfortable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts