GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was riding home to Dallas from the Superbike races in Birmingham. I stopped for the night outside of Jackson Mississippi and parked the bike on the center stand at the hotel and went in and cleaned up. I heard my Scorpio alarm going off and looked out at the bike and found it laying rubber side up. Not just to the case guards...all the way over. The right foot of the center stand had gone through the asphalt and the bike went over. It caused cosmetic damage to my right mirror and right saddlebag.

Just a reminder....summers here and the hot soft asphalt may not hold the bike up. I think I will start using the side stand and a puck.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Thanks for the reminder Steve. The pavement do get hot and soft! Sorry to here about damage to your wing!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Have a pad bolted on side stand end which gives a much wider and bigger footprint to sidestand. Held on with allenbolt. Stays on and doesn't interfere with operation of side stand. No digging in pockets or cases. Just put sidestand down as normal. Never had a problem with parking and it works on asphalt, grass or dirt. Can't remember who I bought it from, but google is your friend.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Sorry to hear you scratched up your bike but thanks for the reminder. I'm going to put a piece of 4 x 4 flat plate in my truck just in case I run across so soft stuff.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If I forget to pack my 4x4 metal pad.
Dumpster-dive for a beer or coke can.
Flatten it and put it under the kick stand

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Have a pad bolted on side stand end which gives a much wider and bigger footprint to sidestand. Held on with allenbolt. Stays on and doesn't interfere with operation of side stand. No digging in pockets or cases. Just put sidestand down as normal. Never had a problem with parking and it works on asphalt, grass or dirt. Can't remember who I bought it from, but google is your friend.

Yeah, had the same thing happen to my brand new R1100RT about 10 years ago. I mounted one of those aluminum pads on my side stand and never had it dump over again. When I sold the RT I took the pad off and mounted it on my Wing's kickstand.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Many of the sidewalks in Italy are made of asphalt and they have so many holes in them they look like black Swiss cheese.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

Hal sells them. Made by "Rivco"

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Yep... it's that time again. Last year, I pulled into a motel in Indiana on a 97 degree day. I pulled out my puck and placed it under my sidestand.

When I came out the next morning, I had to a key to pry my puck out of the 3/4" imprint it left in the asphalt. :shock:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts