GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been playing around with my new Garmin 595lm.

I use a MAC and trying to learn Garmin Basecamp.

Have heard nothing but bad things about this program and I can see why now. Only one I read that said good things about it has been Gil.

What other software are you all using that does not need a rocket science degree to work with to plan a route to upload to your Garmin GPS?

As a reminder, I am using a MAC and want to upload through the cable attached to the GPS. There is no USB port.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is Basecamp is all that Garmin will accept to upload from...Is that true?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Eazy Peazy !!!

Mike, I use MACbook Pro and Garmin Basecamp. Been using this combination for many years. Want some help, come see or call me. :grin2:

Reactions: FireEater

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have found Base Camp to be quite a good route planner. Yes lots of trouble at first but now I really like it. I'm luckly enough to have a couple of friends that also use it and we call back and forth with questions and we all learn.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have found Base Camp to be quite a good route planner. Yes lots of trouble at first but now I really like it. I'm luckly enough to have a couple of friends that also use it and we call back and forth with questions and we all learn.
Yea I now have Whisper Jet on speed dial. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
New England Rider has a series of tutorials on Basecamp that many find very good.

https://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/Learn_BaseCamp.htm

Myself I still use Garmin's older Mapsource to build and save the route, save it as a GPX file instead of a GBD and then drag it into Basecamp. I use Basecamp only to load the route (Basecamp calls it a list) into my Garmin 396 LMT-S.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New England Rider has a series of tutorials on Basecamp that many find very good.

https://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/Learn_BaseCamp.htm

Myself I still use Garmin's older Mapsource to build and save the route, save it as a GPX file instead of a GBD and then drag it into Basecamp. I use Basecamp only to load the route (Basecamp calls it a list) into my Garmin 396 LMT-S.
Yea, Mapsource does not work on Mac's, just window programs.

I tried reading the New England Rider series for Mac's. Did not help. Gave titles and sources, and names I could not find on Basecamp. Im computer literate too.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I also bought the 595 but all of this is over my head, which is why I ride at the back of the line. I have never even heard of "Basecamp". When I would attend MSTA's STAR Rally they would download the routes into my 550 for me. I thought it was done by a Wizard or Voodoo Princes. Now that I am retired I am getting ready to replace my 4 yr old Dell with a Mac Pro. Therefore I will continue to sit on the short bus and lick the windows until you all figure out what is best for a Mac. When I return next November hopefully one of you will be available to be my tutor, or I can just keep my spot at the back of the line.
Humble Prowler #352

Attachments

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
85 Posts
As a software engineer, I firmly believe that applications should be intuitive. If I need to watch hours of video tutorials, or read a 200+ page user manual, then the software is hardly intuitive. This is why I dumped Bascamp and Mapsource. It was not easy to use or learn. The previous comments clearly illustrate this point.

I use Kurviger as it is so simple that I can plot a weeks worth of routes, plus upload those routes to my GPS, in a very short period of time. Plus I can export to Honda Trip Planner, Google Earth and Maps, and a whole myriad of other formats. It literally took me less than 10 minutes to use all if its features. Also available for Windiws and Mac plus mobile phones. Just my two cents....

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
You do have an option besides Basecamp but it requires some additional work and costs but you only have to do it once. My main computer (the one I use most) is a MacBook Air. When I switched from Microsoft software machines to Macs, I found, like you, that some of the software I had used before and some other items were no longer available. Mapsource (which is free from Garmin), Micrsoft Streets and Trips (which is no longer supported)

In addition, I used a program from Audilbe to download books to my garmin device for listening on trips instead of the radio or music. When I switched to the Mac, it appears that Audible did not have a really easy to use download program. So, since I had switched from a Microsoft computer to the Mac, I still had the older MS operating systems on disk.

I know long intro. but the answer is you can run any Microsoft based operating system on a Mac using VMware Fusion. Its costs (one time) about $80. You can then run any Mircosot operating system on your Mac you wish (even back to Windows 98 should you wish).

https://www.vmware.com/products/fusion.html

The VMWare Fusion programs takes up about 60 GB on my Mac drive. I loaded Windows 7 and then loaded my old Streets and trips software and then loaded Mapsource. Also use the Audible Manager Program for books. It works seamlessly and I have what I want when I need it.

I know this is not really the answer you wanted to hear but it is an option and you have another choice.

Regarding what Garmin GPS accept, I have a 665 and a 550 so I don't know what the 595 accepts but I just save my files in a GPX format and put them in the GPX folder on the GPS and its done (well you do have to import them and they get recalcualed by the GPS based on their map database). I have taken many trips, some as long as 16 days and I have never had a real issue. But I do break my trips down by the day. So I have 16 different GPX files for a 16 day trip.

As I said, Mapsource is free.

There is also another source of information that might be of help. Its the Zumo forum UK which took the place of the USA site when it went off line last year.

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk

There is a specific forum for 596 users as well as Basecamp and Mapsource.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I am very new to downloading files to my 665.

I have always liked the Harley Ride Planner but have not tried downloading yet. Have any of you?

Weird thing is I have never owned or ridden a Harley...but I find the Ride Planner very easy to use so far.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts

I have always liked the Harley Ride Planner but have not tried downloading yet. Have any of you?

Weird thing is I have never owned or ridden a Harley...but I find the Ride Planner very easy to use so far.

I have not used the Harley Ride Planner but I just looked at it. It seems to allow you to down load the route as a GPX file once saved. All it would seem you have to do would them be to connect your 665 to your computer and put that GPX file into the GPX folder on the Garmin. Disconnect the Garmin and they you should have the option to import the file.

Its the same process I use with Microsoft Trips and Streets. Since the GPX file is just "points" the GPS will do its own route calculation and therefore the more points you add the more likely it will be that the route is the one you want.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have not used the Harley Ride Planner but I just looked at it. It seems to allow you to down load the route as a GPX file once saved. All it would seem you have to do would them be to connect your 665 to your computer and put that GPX file into the GPX folder on the Garmin. Disconnect the Garmin and they you should have the option to import the file.

Its the same process I use with Microsoft Trips and Streets. Since the GPX file is just "points" the GPS will do its own route calculation and therefore the more points you add the more likely it will be that the route is the one you want.
Yep, you are 100% correct. It took no time at all to put the GPX file on my Zumo.

I tried it last night after I posted it. It was real simple.

I found the Harley Route Planner to be simpler than Honda, Basecamp or even the simple Google Maps.

On HDRP I like that I can drag my route off the Interstate and on to the scenic roads easily. Love the way it displays the mileage and easy saving of rides.

Basecamp is not for me, way too time-consuming and complicated...YMMV.

Harley-Davidson probably uses Microsoft Street and Trips then just puts their logo on it....no way... Harley would never do that would they?

Cheers, and thanks for the follow up.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

I did my latest creation using HD Ride Planner and uploaded it to my GPS.

I have succeeded FINALLY. I can bypass using Basecamp by pasting my created route straight to the GPS folder called GPX from my MAC. Unplug the cable...boot back up the GPS and it shows as a new route. Problem is, it did not do the exact route, so I changed it a tad on the GPS.

Hey, its better than nothing...

·
Registered
529 Posts
I did my latest creation using HD Ride Planner and uploaded it to my GPS.

I have succeeded FINALLY. I can bypass using Basecamp by pasting my created route straight to the GPS folder called GPX from my MAC. Unplug the cable...boot back up the GPS and it shows as a new route. Problem is, it did not do the exact route, so I changed it a tad on the GPS.

Hey, its better than nothing...
Glad to hear it was an improvement. Sorry the routes were not 100%.

My routes transferred correctly but I am on a PC not a Mac...I also tend to enter lots of waypoints. I wonder if that is why mine don't take shortcuts?

Not sure if either of these reasons make sense but I am happy.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad to hear it was an improvement. Sorry the routes were not 100%.

My routes transferred correctly but I am on a PC not a Mac...I also tend to enter lots of waypoints. I wonder if that is why mine don't take shortcuts?

Not sure if either of these reasons make sense but I am happy.

Yea I did A to B route.

I will dink around and put in some way points to see if that does matter. Will advise.

I also have my GPS set for shortest route. When it recalculated, that is what probably changed the route. Will have to see what changes I might have to make.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Yes, I have used HD Trip software-works w/ Garmin

@Schoeney Yes, I have used it just recently and already plotted the individual trip and imported the GPX files into my Garmin and took a look-see and they work! Fairly EZ to figure out the program and make routes. Give it a try. JMHO ((Opps-I jumped the gun posting my comment prior to reading through the thread.)) I happy and my Garmin Zumo is too!

·
Registered
529 Posts
@Schoeney Yes, I have used it just recently and already plotted the individual trip and imported the GPX files into my Garmin and took a look-see and they work! Fairly EZ to figure out the program and make routes. Give it a try. JMHO ((Opps-I jumped the gun posting my comment prior to reading through the thread.)) I happy and my Garmin Zumo is too!
Haha...no worries. Glad it is working for you

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Thanks 4 the 411

As a software engineer, I firmly believe that applications should be intuitive. If I need to watch hours of video tutorials, or read a 200+ page user manual, then the software is hardly intuitive. This is why I dumped Bascamp and Mapsource. It was not easy to use or learn. The previous comments clearly illustrate this point.

I use Kurviger as it is so simple that I can plot a weeks worth of routes, plus upload those routes to my GPS, in a very short period of time. Plus I can export to Honda Trip Planner, Google Earth and Maps, and a whole myriad of other formats. It literally took me less than 10 minutes to use all if its features. Also available for Windiws and Mac plus mobile phones. Just my two cents....
@BlueThunder After trying this program I like it. I'll continue using it to see if I will make it a mainstay of my GPS-GPS trip planning. Thanks, for the 411.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been putting in some routes using HD Planner. It will add side roads that I can not get rid of. O well, I will keep pressing buttons and esc until I figure it out. Nothing happens when I drag and drop the line to the true route.

Just used my 595lM today on a ride. Did a planned route using HD Planner going. Heading back I just used the GPS and marked roads. Without preplanning it, the route was nice. I had adventurous route clicked and it did find some curves for me....

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Thanks BlueThunder. I just went to the web page and found it very intuitive. Once I changed the language to English, I felt more comfortable...LOL. Once I finished the route and uploaded to my PC, I deleted it on the web page and created another one to send to my pc. Easy Peasy. It offers all the features the well known ones do, and is a LOT easier to use. There is no lag in moving the map, etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts